Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton Bomber back in Town

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
Unsure as to how the OMT can put something on this provocative. It's something that still scars Brighton as it happened within this generation.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
From The Argus...

Controversy over bomber’s return to Brighton.

Patrick Magee walks with Jo Berry through Brighton in 2004 – 20 years after her father was killed by Magee’s bomb in The Grand hotel.
Brighton October 1984 - The fire brigade shine a light on the bomb blast in The Grand Hotel Brighton which was attacked by the IRA during the Conservative Party Conference.

THE IRA activist behind the Brighton bombing will return to the city for a special event to mark the 30th anniversary of the deadly blast.
Patrick Magee killed five and injured many others when he planted a bomb at The Grand hotel in a bid to kill Margaret Thatcher and her cabinet.

Thirty years to the day on Sunday, he will return to the city for a special event aimed at promoting forgiveness and understanding. He will appear alongside Jo Berry, who lost her father Sir Anthony Berry in the blast, at a film screening and question-and-answer session at The Old Market in Upper Market Street.
He was convicted of five counts of murder and given a 35-year sentence.
However, he served only 14 years and was released under the Good Friday Agreement in 1999.

Following his release, Ms Berry sought to meet her father’s killer. The film Beyond Right And Wrong tells the story of her reconciliation with Magee.
Speaking about the decision to hold the event in Brighton, she said: “We were going to hold it in London but I feel really strongly about having it here.
“We cannot take away the fact that this event happened here. If we can have an event to inspire and change people then that is part of the healing process.”

James Turnbull, programmer at The Old Market, said he had received emails from the public questioning why the killer was being allowed in the venue.
He said: “More than 40% of Brighton and Hove’s population were not alive at the time of the bombing :facepalm: and we feel we should be able to look back, reflect and discuss what happened. “Surely by looking back we can learn from what has happened and use it to move forward.”

One who believes the event should not be taking place is Lord Tebbit.
The Conservative politician was badly injured in the blast and his wife remains in a wheelchair.
He said: “Magee is still living off this. He is still trying to excuse it.”
Magee should name names, says Lord Tebbit
NORMAN Tebbit has called on the Brighton Bomber to reveal the names of those behind the attack.
The then member of Margaret Thatcher’s cabinet retired from politics in the late 1980s to become a full-time carer for his wife, who was left disabled by the blast.
Describing convicted bomber Patrick Magee as a “little rat”, he said he had not forgiven him. :thumbsup:
He said: “If you go and have a look at the book of common prayer on Sunday you will see the condition of forgiveness is repentance.
"The offender must repent. He hasn’t, so I haven’t forgiven.
“Magee is a little rat. :thumbsup: He ultimately planted the bomb but he is the monkey on the barrel organ.
“He didn’t plan it, he didn’t fund it and he didn’t authorise it. But he knows who did and if he wanted to show repentance he would go to his local police station and tell them what he knows.
“Murder is murder – and there should be justice.”

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Tebbit has a point however it would appear after the Good Friday Agreement the slate was wiped clean for quite a few terrorists.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
nasty as he is , they were at war with the British people and especially the British Government something that the Government at the time just could not grasp
I do think it rather stupid to have him come back to Brighton though.
and should still be locked up

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
nasty as he is , they were at war with the British people and especially the British Government something that the Government at the time just could not grasp
I do think it rather stupid to have him come back to Brighton though.
and should still be locked up

Cool on that Basis then the killers of Lee Rigby can give a speech on the streets of London in a few years..... War my arse, I don't remember seeing a declaration of war by the British people or Government.

Terrorist and no other word will do, not freedom fighter, not soldier, TERRORIST......... END OF.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Jo Berry appears to have forgiven him, and she has more to forgive than most. Even so, I don't like the idea of the little sh*t living off his evil deeds like this.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Cool on that Basis then the killers of Lee Rigby can give a speech on the streets of London in a few years..... War my arse, I don't remember seeing a declaration of war by the British people or Government.

Terrorist and no other word will do, not freedom fighter, not soldier, TERRORIST......... END OF.

it was the IRA who declared war on us, we just did not except it (as it appears you don't either) maybe you should spent a little time on reading up on it, start with some good history books from about the turn of the last century.
the Irish have very long memories
good thing you were not negotiating the peace along with Mo otherwise we would still have the threat of another bomb like the Grand

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
it was the IRA who declared war on us, we just did not except it (as it appears you don't either) maybe you should spent a little time on reading up on it, start with some good history books from about the turn of the last century.
the Irish have very long memories
good thing you were not negotiating the peace along with Mo otherwise we would still have the threat of another bomb like the Grand

It does not matter if they did declare war on us, when did we declare war on them, innocent targets such as hotels, people or towers are not acts of war they are acts of terrorism surely.

I do not need to read up about history, I know right from wrong and yes we did some terrible things, one act does not excuse another, it matters not one jot if I read up on it.
I do not also care if the Irish have long memories, that to me is bitterness and they need to get over it. Its not my fault or the people killed in Brighton or Warrington etc fault that the British once upon a time did some terrible stuff so I should not have to be made to feel guilty.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
I agree with Lord B that peace in N. Ireland was worth achieving. Even so I hope this event is justified in some way by sincere acts of contrition.

Sussex has very good reason to question whether the event is appropriate. Quite apart from nearly assassinating the Prime Minister in The Grand Hotel bombing they also murdered Ian Gow MP with a car bomb at his home near Eastbourne. In 1994 they also gave vague warnings of bombs in Brighton and Bognor that were clearly intended to cause indiscriminate civilian casualties.

Maybe by bringing these attacks to our doorsteps eventually focused the minds and led to a peace process. That seemed very unlikely back in the 80s/90s.

However anyone with experience of dealing with the aftermath of covert bomb attacks will tell you it is a cowardly, extremely violent and graphically bloody way to kill anyone, let alone to knowingly target innocent civilians.

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
It does not matter if they did declare war on us, when did we declare war on them, innocent targets such as hotels, people or towers are not acts of war they are acts of terrorism surely.

I do not need to read up about history, I know right from wrong and yes we did some terrible things, one act does not excuse another, it matters not one jot if I read up on it.
I do not also care if the Irish have long memories, that to me is bitterness and they need to get over it. Its not my fault or the people killed in Brighton or Warrington etc fault that the British once upon a time did some terrible stuff so I should not have to be made to feel guilty.

Ever heard of Drogheda?

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach

All well and good. When do you have to get over it ?

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
having read a book on the Black and Tans some time ago maybe tainted my view a little, and they were there on our behalf, raping pillaging, burning down whole villages they have long,long memories whether you like it or not.
but if you can sweep that under the carpet as though it did not happen then good for you.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
I'd be quite interested in seeing this and hearing the story of the journey the victims daughter has been on. However giving money to Magee doesn't sit right with me. Maybe if the profits were going to charities helping families who have been affected by events like this I'd be more inclined to buy a ticket.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here