Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Peel

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Its coming up for 10 years since John Peel died this month.

Whether obscure or well known, let's have the songs and artists that you first heard on a Peel show from any era:

Here are some I may never have heard without him:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
To be honest,it would be quicker to name the artists that I didn't hear on his show. I'd say about 80 percent of the music from my popular music collection originated from him. It was his championing of reggae and African music that first got me listening, for example

smillie's garden

Am I evil?
Aug 11, 2003
So many, but this is a good'n. Remember an excellent BB gig at the Pavillion Theatre back in the day.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
So many, but this is a good'n. Remember an excellent BB gig at the Pavillion Theatre back in the day.

I was there - was either 1985 or 1986. They were very friendly, chatting on stage as they were about to start. I remember talking to someone from Radio Sussex at the gig. Going back to Peel, I always used to enjoy a Ronnie Ronalde song - what a whistler!

boik

Can't believe i's 10 years.

A couple that I remember hearing and thinking "Wow, what was that?" and scribbling down on a scrap of paper.

I know Bjork went on to become pretty mainstream, but that single blew me away when I first heard it. So other-wordly!

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
Off the see The Monochrome set tonight!

Saw them (in Bristol) a year ago; they are still brilliant.

I was introduced to so many bands through John Peel in the 1980s, and still listen to the following: Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds, X-Mal Deutschland, The Bhundu Boys, Sonic Youth, Cocteau Twins, This Mortal Coil, U-Roy, Dinosaur Junior, The Fall, and the (still) brilliant Half Man Half Biscuit :thumbsup:.

wadhurstseagull

Jul 26, 2003
Great call for Birthday above, Scritti Pollitti and the Monochrome Set are two of my favourites he highlighted

Those three would be on my list too. The first time I heard Birthday was like a a bright list coming on. Song to Remember by SP was one of the most perfect debut albums ever released and the MS were/are a fine band.
The only bands I would add would be The Blue Aeroplanes and A House.

Thank you John

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Cheers. Got my youngest with me all day (at Sutton) and night so won't be able to make it as he's only 12 and doubt they'd let him in. Shame, really liked them back in the day.

Yes. Looking forward to it and shame you can't make it. Incidentally I was born in and brought up in Sutton. Never was a palace fan though.

Jan 30, 2008
Always banging on about the fall when ever I listened, got a cd with the skids in session if that's of any interest:shrug:
regards
DR

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
It was the Peel sessions that I enjoyed more than anything many of which were released on The Strange Fruit record label. You can listen to them online and You Tube. Marc Riley still plays them in his Peel By Request section weekday nights 6 Radio. As for the bands that he introduced to me it would a large list. I actually discovered The Fall through a girlfriend at the time but he obviously was a huge champion of them. Hefner, McClusky,most of the bands on Chemical Underground label ( Mogwai, The Delgados mainly) Half Man Half Biscuit, The Wedding Present, Cinerama, Bearsuit, Culture, The Slits and the list goes on.

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
Those three would be on my list too. The first time I heard Birthday was like a a bright list coming on. Song to Remember by SP was one of the most perfect debut albums ever released and the MS were/are a fine band.
The only bands I would add would be The Blue Aeroplanes and A House.

Thank you John

Blue Aeroplanes are still going; a great live band. They also own The Fleece in Bristol (a great live music venue) and book the bands, as well as playing there themselves a couple of times a year - going to see them there next month, as it happens.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Some good stuff here. Good to see Rawlinson & Birthday. Here's another Festive Fifty gem:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here