Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Will ANYONE ever be prosecuted over Hillsborough?

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Just further to the other Hillsborough thread, it does seem increasingly unlikely there will be a successful prosecution - however much many people would like to see that happen.

The police, both collectively and individually for senior officers, must wonder how on earth a successful prosecution hasn't happened already.

The DPP refused to prosecute in 1990; and we have had the families' failed private prosecution for manslaughter and other charges against Duckenfield and Murray in 2000.

But nothing since, and as well as any manslaughter/negligence/misconduct, no criminal charges as yet against anyone for altering evidence in the notebooks and elsewhere.

Then you have Sheffield Wednesday and the FA, who must be very worried about some of what is cropping up in the new inquest over the safety or otherwise of the ground, after previous crushes there in 1981, 87, and 88.

But be interested to hear other thoughts on the matter. You suspect it isn't going anywhere soon, and maybe all the latest documents will herald a new attempt, but it is getting harder and harder for families.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
The guilty and powerful will close ranks and successfully delay things until everyone who could or should be prosecuted has died - and their lawyers will make a fortune in helping this to happen (the delay that is, not the deaths!)
We don't have a justice system in this country, just a justice gravy-train.

W3 BHA

Nov 16, 2009
Just gets to me that in any tragic event such as this people automatically call for the heads of those in authority - doesn't matter who, as long as someone in authority 'pays'. Yes, people may have acted wrongly after the event, including police, but no one is ever allowed to mention nowadays, the inescapable fact that if thousands of Liverpool fans had not turned up intent on getting in without a ticket, this would never have happened.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Just gets to me that in any tragic event such as this people automatically call for the heads of those in authority - doesn't matter who, as long as someone in authority 'pays'. Yes, people may have acted wrongly after the event, including police, but no one is ever allowed to mention nowadays, the inescapable fact that if thousands of Liverpool fans had not turned up intent on getting in without a ticket, this would never have happened.
The Sun still on sale round your way, is it?

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Hillsborough was a chain of events that started even before the day of the game. Is it possible to hold one person responsible for the failure at each stage of the entire fault sequence?

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Hillsborough was a chain of events that started even before the day of the game. Is it possible to hold one person responsible for the failure at each stage of the entire fault sequence?

Maybe, maybe not. It could be more than one, of course, from more than one organisation. If it ever happened.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Doubt south Yorkshire Police will be made accountable for anything very much following their recruitment as Thatcher's private army during the Miners Strike. They were probably given a collective indefinite Get Out of Jail Free Card for all their subsequent disgraceful failings.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter

Have you read any of the evidence at all? You quote 'inescapable facts' but where are these facts that you mention?

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
What will happen first ? Blair indicted for war crimes or a successful prosecution of those in charge at Hillsborough ?

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
There are plenty of people could be held responsible for the lies, pressure put on young officers to 'edit' their notebooks & subsequent systematic cover up, just for starters...

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Just further to the other Hillsborough thread, it does seem increasingly unlikely there will be a successful prosecution - however much many people would like to see that happen.

The police, both collectively and individually for senior officers, must wonder how on earth a successful prosecution hasn't happened already.

The DPP refused to prosecute in 1990; and we have had the families' failed private prosecution for manslaughter and other charges against Duckenfield and Murray in 2000.

But nothing since, and as well as any manslaughter/negligence/misconduct, no criminal charges as yet against anyone for altering evidence in the notebooks and elsewhere.

Then you have Sheffield Wednesday and the FA, who must be very worried about some of what is cropping up in the new inquest over the safety or otherwise of the ground, after previous crushes there in 1981, 87, and 88.

But be interested to hear other thoughts on the matter. You suspect it isn't going anywhere soon, and maybe all the latest documents will herald a new attempt, but it is getting harder and harder for families.

There won't be any (more) prosecutions until - at the very earliest - the Inquest has finished and the verdict announced. At present, with the fact that there is no official verdict into the Disaster (the original one was quashed), nothing will happen until then.

Bearing in mind that there may well be 'new evidence' to be considered (e.g. the doctored evidence from the police, the connivance with the MP to fabricate a narrative etc - things which haven't been brought to light before), the refusal of the DPP to prosecute in 1990 may well be superceded.

I suspect on of the reasons for failed prosecutions is because of lack of evidence being available to prosecutors. As we've since heard, evidence was suppressed or altered - which I believe (I stand to be corrected) is perjury. Now it is available for public scrutiny.

Any future prosecutions do work under the assumption of the verdict being one of 'unlawful killing'.

However, one option open is a 'narrative verdict', whereby the final verdict itself is unclear (and hence 'An Open Verdict'), but where individual cases of behaviour (for instance, the altering of evidence) can still lead to prosecution.

That's the inference I've picked up from the Inquest website.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

Is that the 'inescapable fact' that the ex- Chief Inspector on duty that day has now conceded is a lie?

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003

Idiot.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011

Seriously, do you have no interest in reading the facts about that day?

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Whoever was responsible will be called teflon

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I think that many have and will go to their grave with a huge burden of guilt over what happened on that fateful day, probably the most tragic day in the UK for football.

I am a bit uneasy with trying to find out the truth after such a huge passage of time however it is very clear that there were many lies perpetrated at that time by those in authority.

A lot of me (and excuse the personal bit) actually thought tough shit, move on and be forget it, but it is actually very easy to say that when you were not directly involved in this.

On that dreadful day I actually took my wife to be to Villa Park to watch Norwich v Everton (the other semi-final) but you actually have to admire a lot of people who have stoically tried to find the truth and also lost a loved one as well. I hope that for every fan of football the truth is uncovered as no-one should forget a lot of people went to a football match where the outcome was 96 people died, think about it and would you have accepted that ?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here