Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A thread of "When the FA Cup was good"

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Your memories of when the FA Cup actually meant something, when they actually stopped the nation (be they 1983 or otherwise).

This one had it all. Drama, victory for the massive underdogs, and Jimmy Greaves looking like he'd got dressed in the dark. Textbook.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Ronnie Radford

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
The first one I really took any interest in was the 1970 foul fest Chelsea v dirty Leeds. Went to a replay that was one of the dirtiest games I have ever seen, I enjoyed every second of it. Phil Dowd did a review of the video, reffing it to todays standards, he would have sent off about 5 and booked 20 of the players I think

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Alan Clarke's goal vs arsenal 1971 FA Cup final. marvellous scenes . i was there and it was a great day

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Also textbook: shocking pitch, lower league team knocking Terry Venables' Spurs out, pitch invasion featuring lots of parkas & polyester tracksuits. Lovely stuff.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Funnily enough, the missus and I watched the fantastic YouTube of Mssrs Case, Foster, Bamber, Grealish, Melia, etc etc flying to Wembley in that British Caledonian helicopter only last night. Surprisingly, there was nothing much else on 500 channels of American telly worth watching.

Just absolutely magical: the old Wembley, with more genuine presence and just sheer goddam majesty than its bloated, chavvy replacement could ever dream of, David Coleman errrr talking practically non-stop, mostly about the weather (which wasn't that bad, I remember), Cup Final banners with puns on players' names written on bed sheets. Wonderful stuff.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
The FA Cup doesn't mean anything now? Really? I think it's lost some of its magic but has got a bit of it back the last few years...

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
.l

Same day we played Arsenal at The Goldstone

I wasn't allowed to go to that one as my Dad said I wouldn't be able to see the game when there was such a big crowd (I would have been 11) :cry:

(I'm still bitter now :lolol: )

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Who the HELL made that hat for Jimmy Case? :lolol:

aberllefenni

Jan 15, 2009
The increasing lack of interest in the F.A Cup started with Man Utd's decision not to compete in the 99-00 competition in favour of the World Team Championship which clashed with the third round ties. I seem to remember that they initially requested a bye and the FA told them to sod off.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Your memories of when the FA Cup actually meant something, when they actually stopped the nation (be they 1983 or otherwise).

This one had it all. Drama, victory for the massive underdogs, and Jimmy Greaves looking like he'd got dressed in the dark. Textbook.

Jimmy must have walked straight into the studio after an all nighter at a bar somwhere judging by the state of him.

Also textbook: shocking pitch, lower league team knocking Terry Venables' Spurs out, pitch invasion featuring lots of parkas & polyester tracksuits. Lovely stuff.

Spurs number 4 is a pre pie and beer diet Razor Ruddock, the video also features a 12 year old Chris Waddle.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Never been quite the same since they did away with second and third (and more) replays. I still love it though.

LA1972

May 20, 2009
West Sussex
I wasn't allowed to go to that one as my Dad said I wouldn't be able to see the game when there was such a big crowd (I would have been 11) :cry:

(I'm still bitter now :lolol: )
One of the best atmospheres at any game I've been to, especially after Gary Nelsons goal. Fantastic day for a teenager

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Beyond 1983.

When think FA Cup, I think Peterborough away in the snow.

Happy dayz.

Jan 30, 2008
One of the best atmospheres at any game I've been to, especially after Gary Nelsons goal. Fantastic day for a teenager
was a good day, rammed in the N stand ,Arsenal all on the east terrace , played well but a bit of quality done it for Arsenal , lively after the game
regards
DR

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here