Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

FA Cup draws moving back to Mondays from this years first round draw proper

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
:clap:

BBC:

FA Cup draws will return to Mondays in a new evening slot on the BBC for the 2014-15 season.

The first-round draw will come from the National Football Centre at St George's Park in front of a live audience on Monday, 27 October.

"We're delighted to bring back the tradition of the FA Cup draw on Mondays," said BBC Sport's Mark Cole.

"We hope the new early evening show will generate a great interest for our audiences on TV, radio and online."

Mark Chapman will present the coverage from 1900-1930 BST on BBC Two and Radio 5 live, and you can also follow the draw on the BBC Sport website.

The new Monday evening draw is set to evoke memories of families huddled around the radio to listen to those all-important fixtures being announced.

FA Cup draws used to be very formal until about 15 years ago.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I think I'd be marginally more enthusiastic if they stopped pissing about with the final and had it at 3pm on a Saturday afternoon (and the semis at regional stadiums).

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I have this image of the FA Panel's Meeting Agenda:

Item 1 - When are we having the FA cup draw?
Item 10 - Do we give a sh1t about black managers?
Item 11 - The Jacksonville Jaguars want to buy Wembley - are we interested?

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
I think I'd be marginally more enthusiastic if they stopped pissing about with the final and had it at 3pm on a Saturday afternoon (and the semis at regional stadiums).

These two things would go a long way to return some of the stature the competition had previously. Late kick off for TV audiences (i.e. money for the F.A.), semis at Wembley to boost Wembley income (i.e. money for the F.A.). Both decisions disrespect the competition and massively de-value the final.

I'm all for progress but sometimes tradition is there for a reason, and the tradition itself has value.

Its so blatant the FA prioritise their own income over the good of the game and what fans actually want, it's laughable.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
These two things would go a long way to return some of the stature the competition had previously. Late kick off for TV audiences (i.e. money for the F.A.), semis at Wembley to boost Wembley income (i.e. money for the F.A.). Both decisions disrespect the competition and massively de-value the final.

I'm all for progress but sometimes tradition is there for a reason, and the tradition itself has value.

Its so blatant the FA prioritise their own income over the good of the game and what fans actually want, it's laughable.

I don't know if they'll ever actually be able to restore the Cup Final to its former glory. SkySports have invested so much money and made the Premier League such an overriding priority that even if they did move the game back to its original time and given it some sort of prominence, you'd have to question whether the clubs (and specifically managers) would take it seriously.

Moving it back to 3pm for the last game would be a start, but sadly, as someone for whom childhood memories of FA Cup Final Saturday are generally ones of excitement and anticipation, I fear the genie has long since been let out of the bottle on this one.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
What is this tradition they speak of? I seem to recall the Albion drew Sheff Wed in the semi when I was at school at lunchtime, listening in the playground to a radio someone had smuggled in with half the class crowded round it on tenterhooks.

Paris

Jul 17, 2010
13th district
With the last two winners of the FA Cup i've genuinely been happy to see two teams and their supporters delighted to win the competition. Unfortunately all too often the winners are looking at it as a consolation prize, as they've missed out on so-called greater honours that particular season.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
So we now have to wait under Monday evening to find put whether with we drawn a PL reserve side in the next round. Purely a TV move by BBC to gain a rating for 30 minutes. Actual draw takes about 5 minutes at most so 25 minutes of utter drivel to fill in time.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
With the last two winners of the FA Cup i've genuinely been happy to see two teams and their supporters delighted to win the competition. Unfortunately all too often the winners are looking at it as a consolation prize, as they've missed out on so-called greater honours that particular season.

I could probably remember every cup final result up until around 1992. After that? They all just seem to blend into one. With all due respect to Wigan, in years to come, nobody is going to remember them beating Man City in the same way they recall Coventry turning Spurs over in 1987, or Wimbledon beating Liverpool.

What is this tradition they speak of? I seem to recall the Albion drew Sheff Wed in the semi when I was at school at lunchtime, listening in the playground to a radio someone had smuggled in with half the class crowded round it on tenterhooks.

Thought it was after the match back in the 70's,Got the fans back on the coach sharpish if you had won:thumbsup:

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton

It was slightly better last season, as it returned to last game of the season, but at 5pm for some reason. Completely unnecessary. Hopefully they can give it a 3pm slot this year. I doubt we'll see the semi-finals move any time soon though, rather depressingly.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I don't know if they'll ever actually be able to restore the Cup Final to its former glory. SkySports have invested so much money and made the Premier League such an overriding priority that even if they did move the game back to its original time and given it some sort of prominence, you'd have to question whether the clubs (and specifically managers) would take it seriously.

Moving it back to 3pm for the last game would be a start, but sadly, as someone for whom childhood memories of FA Cup Final Saturday are generally ones of excitement and anticipation, I fear the genie has long since been let out of the bottle on this one.

Bit unfair just to say its the Premiership.

Even League clubs don't take it seriously anymore.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Does anyone really give a shit when they make the draw? It's like those people that hanker after the European cup when only the Champions of each country got in, ignoring the fact the competition was ropey because the champions of Luxembourg weren't much cop. It they have the draw on Saturday morning, Monday night or 2.00 a.m Sunday morning it still won't change the fact even the likes of us put out half a reserve team and the likes of Mike Ashley doesn't care win, lose or draw.

Personally, I quite liked knowing we would have another trip to chuffing Stoke before we got hammered at Liverpool a few years back. Losing bothered me less. So what, we hadn't played in that round yet before they made the draw?

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest

Yes this. And that its the LAST domestic game of the season (exc P/Offs) and not sandwiched into the final games of the premier league season. Ridiculous.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Thought it was after the match back in the 70's,Got the fans back on the coach sharpish if you had won:thumbsup:

The 3rd round draw was on a Saturday afternoon. You may be thinking of that.

Other than that draws were Monday lunchtime, I think at 12.30.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I still remember the year Merthyr Tydfil came out twice. Their manager said he was quite happy with the draw...

the wanderbus

Dec 7, 2004
pogle's wood
The 3rd round draw was on a Saturday afternoon. You may be thinking of that.

Other than that draws were Monday lunchtime, I think at 12.30.

1st, 2nd and 3rd round draw's were always on the Saturday evening during Sports Report, 4th round onwards for some unknown reason were Monday lunchtime

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Bit unfair just to say its the Premiership.

Even League clubs don't take it seriously anymore.

True. But it could be strongly argued that's a by-product of the Premier League clubs downgrading it in their priority lists, a sort of trickle-down apathy caused by the likes of Man United and Chelsea fielding their B teams. Perhaps it lessens the incentive of a smaller club to excel if they know the best case scenario is an away game at a half empty Stamford Bridge against a bunch of unknown Swiss/Slovakian/Greek internationals and a few England Under 21s?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here