Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Advice on commuting into Brighton

BeardyChops

Jan 24, 2009
Hi all,

I'm about to start a new job back in central Brighton but haven't yet moved back down from NW Surrey. So, I'll be commuting for a bit and would welcome opinions on the options. Things I'm considering:

- getting the train the whole way (change at Clapham J), takes about 2h 20, plus 15 min walk each end.
- driving to a London-Brighton line station (eg Redhill), parking up, then getting to train the rest of the way.
- driving down to somewhere free to park and getting the bus in
- driving down early enough for the early-bird rate in central car parks (eg Church Street)

The early-bird rate is one I'm leaning towards. Does anyone have experiences of that or any other suggestions?

TIA

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
If it were me doing it on a daily basis, I'd park at Withdean and get the bus in, though you'd need to compare the cost of the early bird parking rate with getting a bus season ticket (if you were getting bus returns every day it would soon mount up). It also depends what you plan to do after your day's work. If you want to go for a beer with colleagues, then Number 1 is clearly the answer. Parking at stations is very expensive. Three Bridges is £5.90 per day, and I think you would struggle to park unless you are early. Round Three Bridges is all residents' parking, so I think Redhill is the same.

BeardyChops

Jan 24, 2009
Thanks both.
Choosing Withdean or early bird prob comes down to how easy is it to get to and into the car park before 8am. I'll give the different options a trial.

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
Drive to Three Bridges then train from there (30 mins). If you are early enough there is free street parking 3 mins or so from the station and 3 bridges is only a few minutes from the Motorway.

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
Drive to Three Bridges then train from there (30 mins). If you are early enough there is free street parking 3 mins or so from the station and 3 bridges is only a few minutes from the Motorway.

Not sure where though. I used to park in Spring Plat in Pound Hill, and on one occasion left my car overnight. I came back to a tirade of annoyance from one of the locals, who claimed he had had to persuade others not to vandalise my car. It's true I have a Wandsworth residents' permit on my screen (for various reasons I am down here now more than my flat), but I was parked on a public road and obstructing no-one. I therefore tend to avoid parking near Three Bridges now. Pearsons Road, nearer the lights, tends to fill up very early on. Everything on Three Bridges Road, and the side roads off it, is now residents' only.

I now go from East Grinstead and save myself £100 per month (I was only using Three Bridges as Dad was in Mill View for a while and it was convenient to go straight from there). Parking is still £5.70 a day there, though, and again it's residents' parking in all the surrounding roads.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
Not sure where though. I used to park in Spring Plat in Pound Hill, and on one occasion left my car overnight. I came back to a tirade of annoyance from one of the locals, who claimed he had had to persuade others not to vandalise my car. It's true I have a Wandsworth residents' permit on my screen (for various reasons I am down here now more than my flat), but I was parked on a public road and obstructing no-one. I therefore tend to avoid parking near Three Bridges now. Pearsons Road, nearer the lights, tends to fill up very early on. Everything on Three Bridges Road, and the side roads off it, is now residents' only.

I now go from East Grinstead and save myself £100 per month (I was only using Three Bridges as Dad was in Mill View for a while and it was convenient to go straight from there). Parking is still £5.70 a day there, though, and again it's residents' parking in all the surrounding roads.

Stephenson Way

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Thanks both.
Choosing Withdean or early bird prob comes down to how easy is it to get to and into the car park before 8am. I'll give the different options a trial.

You'll want to get the 27 at quarter to eight at the very latest otherwise it takes ages.

bhafc4eva

Nov 21, 2003
Why not drive in and park in a residential area that is not in parking zone and walk? Where is office and can tell you where to park?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I'm about to start a new job back in central Brighton but haven't yet moved back down from NW Surrey.

Commute into Brighton depends on where in NW Surrey you are going to be commuting from shirley? Give us a town name as a starter, might generate some feasible options and some non-starters.

bhafc4eva

Nov 21, 2003
Park on Albion Hill or one of the roads just off of it. 5 min walk. Sorted! I work in John Street and always get a space between 8-8.30am.

D

Deleted User X18H

Why not drive in and park in a residential area that is not in parking zone and walk? Where is office and can tell you where to park?

And where is this mythical land?. Off Elm Grove or around Wish Park I suppose .

BeardyChops

Jan 24, 2009
Commute into Brighton depends on where in NW Surrey you are going to be commuting from shirley? Give us a town name as a starter, might generate some feasible options and some non-starters.

It's Camberley area, but I think I've got the journey/route choices sorted, Ive done it many times over the years. It's more about the final bit once in the B&H area.

Thanks for all the suggestions given.
If anyone uses the early parking rate and has comments about queuing time to get in or anything like that, that would be great too.

Jul 7, 2003
You'll want to get the 27 at quarter to eight at the very latest otherwise it takes ages.

Whenever I have parked at Withdean I've always found it quicker to walk under the bridge and pick up a 5 from the London Road as they can use the bus lanes to get into the city quicker

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here