Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The San Marino question - pre qualification?

Should 'minnow' nations have to pre qualify for major tournaments?

• Total voters

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Simple Yes or No poll.

Should 'minnow' nations have to pre qualify for major tournaments? Think F.A Cup qualification type scenario.

Or, as fully paid up members of their respective confederation, in this case UEFA, get an equal chance to qualify at the same stage as the bigger/more established nations?

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
It would be good to know what the regular England travelling fans like [MENTION=474]Mr Blobby[/MENTION] think. If I was amongst them, I'd probably think it added to the fun, having new destinations to tick off. There's only so many times you can go to Poland before getting bored of it, surely?

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
It would be good to know what the regular England travelling fans like [MENTION=474]Mr Blobby[/MENTION] think. If I was amongst them, I'd probably think it added to the fun, having new destinations to tick off. There's only so many times you can go to Poland before getting bored of it, surely?

'Tis a good point, and one that I hadn't really considered. However, couldn't those with more money than sense don an extra anorak and just pick a minnow fixture to follow home and away instead?, thus earning two extra ticks in a much shorter space of time :thumbsup:

Alternatively, they might like to consider adopting a minnow nation as their second/non league team and open up a whole new world of possibilities :)

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Alternatively, they might like to consider adopting a minnow nation as their second/non league team and open up a whole new world of possibilities :)

I think that's an excellent idea. Let's all pick a plucky, no-hoper from a tiny northern outpost somewhere and follow them on their heroically doomed biennial quest to qualify for an international tournament.

:thumbsup:

JS45715975.jpg

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
I think that's an excellent idea. Let's all pick a plucky, no-hoper from a tiny northern outpost somewhere and follow them on their heroically doomed biennial quest to qualify for an international tournament.

:thumbsup:

JS45715975.jpg
You go too far :) Luxembourg have had a couple of draws recently, think they may be a better bet :thumbsup:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Wont putting all the low ranking teams into their own pre-qualifier just ensure that they will never grow and improve as they will never play any games with high ranking points available?
If top clubs want to play more top clubs why not have fewer groups but with more teams in like South America has?

Not really, because friendly matches still count in terms of FIFA ranking points I think. Nothing to stop them having a bash for ranking points at friendlies, although it'll still prove fruitless.

The current system isn't working for them as they're still getting tonked and not picking up points, ranking or group wise. It's doing very little for them as a learning experience either in order to improve themselves as it's just too one sided to gain many outcomes from. Far better to play more competitive matches at their own level and make the points and learning experiences gains that way I reckon. Then by all means go on to play the stronger teams, having earnt the right to do so by first beating other nations of a similar ability.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Wont putting all the low ranking teams into their own pre-qualifier just ensure that they will never grow and improve as they will never play any games with high ranking points available?

With the best will in the world, teams such as San Marino (population 31,000) and Gilbralter (population 29,000) are NEVER going to grow and improve.

Personally, I don't think any nation which doesn't even have its own league deserves a place on the International stage.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
The FA cup has pre-qual because of sheer logistics. There's plenty of time to fit in a full set of matches for all major international tournaments. Or are we really so arrogant to think that England and the other "stronger" teams should enjoy some sort of advantage ?

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
With the best will in the world, teams such as San Marino (population 31,000) and Gilbralter (population 29,000) are NEVER going to grow and improve.

Personally, I don't think any nation which doesn't even have its own league deserves a place on the International stage.

Although San Marino does have its own league. I think some of their players are from it.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

Despite what might be assumed from my vote, I'm actually all for the little teams. I believe a change might benefit them, possibly more so than the big teams.

Whilst I agree that some nations are likely never to improve, due to sheer numbers, I do still cling to a romantic dream of say a Guernsey team full of Matt Le Tissiers in a golden generation doing a Greece :)

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

spot on, the "improvment" arguement doesnt wash. the small populations have smaller pools of talent and ability, and will simply never raise their game. it might have worked once to help the small-medium sized countries, but we see how the likes of Wales or Nroway who used to get to a tournement or two have actually gone backwards past few decades.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Stick all the minnows in their own group (not pre-qualifier) and one of them will qualify for a major tournament. Perfect.

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
No from me ,it would end up like The Champions League .Man utd have played Real Madrid 12 times since 2000 yawn.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
No from me ,it would end up like The Champions League .Man utd have played Real Madrid 12 times since 2000 yawn.

i'd rather watch Man U v Real Madrid every year than ever have to watch England v San Marino, Lichtenstein, Faroe Islands etc.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here