Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Binmen going on another 3 day strike

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patreon
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Put the contract out to tender, get rid of the militant toxxers!

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
What exactly are they going on strike for does anyone know? With so many of these cases of industrial action, the media often seem to skim over the actual specific reasons for the strike.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
What exactly are they going on strike for does anyone know? With so many of these cases of industrial action, the media often seem to skim over the actual specific reasons for the strike.

This time it's about a few drivers of the collection trucks being paid the same as supervisors and teaching assistants. Even though you would assume this might have been discussed when they struck over pay grades a few months ago.

I don't see how anyone (no matter how pro-union) can still be on their side, and it's not as if they've actually been doing the proper rounds since the strike a few weeks ago

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
This time it's about a few drivers of the collection trucks being paid the same as supervisors and teaching assistants. Even though you would assume this might have been discussed when they struck over pay grades a few months ago.

I don't see how anyone (no matter how pro-union) can still be on their side, and it's not as if they've actually been doing the proper rounds since the strike a few weeks ago

Agreed, and I am pro-union. The motivation for the this strike dumbfounds me, going on strike because other low paid workers who you consider beneath you have a got a pay rise? Nonsense.

Mattywerewolf

Mar 7, 2012
Saff of the River

That would suggest they deserve a pay cut! Personally i'd say teaching assistants have a much more responsible and difficult job. Surely the market level should be pretty clearly observed elsewhere in other districts? Can't imagine they will get much in the way of a Christmas bonus on their rounds!

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
That would suggest they deserve a pay cut! Personally i'd say teaching assistants have a much more responsible and difficult job. Surely the market level should be pretty clearly observed elsewhere in other districts? Can't imagine they will get much in the way of a Christmas bonus on their rounds!

Their spokesman said it was unfair they were paid the same as TAs and said that driving the truck was very stressful. I think he was being serious but it can't have won many over.

I am a leftie, pro-union man in most things but I've had very little support for their arguments since they started these actions

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
I suspect the action is being driven as much as anything else by the local GMB branch and it's rather unpleasant District Officer.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Their spokesman said it was unfair they were paid the same as TAs and said that driving the truck was very stressful. I think he was being serious but it can't have won many over.

I am a leftie, pro-union man in most things but I've had very little support for their arguments since they started these actions

The drivers always look happy enough to me especially when they've managed to park their dustcart in a place that blocks the entire road up.

Butch Willykins

Jun 17, 2011
Shoreham-by-Sea
The lazy tossers haven't emptied my bins for 4 weeks now. Collection is due tomorrow, so if that doesn't happen and a strike pencilled in for next Friday I'll be looking at a minimum of 6 weeks without a collection.

Driving a dustcart skilled work? My arse it is.

MikeySmall

Jul 7, 2003
BRIGHTON
The lazy tossers haven't emptied my bins for 4 weeks now. Collection is due tomorrow, so if that doesn't happen and a strike pencilled in for next Friday I'll be looking at a minimum of 6 weeks without a collection.

Driving a dustcart skilled work? My arse it is.

Mine hadn't been collected for 4 weeks and finally got done this Monday. Lazy workshy t*ats.

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
Complaining about pay and workload, yet striking actually increases the workload for the following day... Ironic! It's quite a rubbish situation for the City though.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
I thought they were already on strike. Haven't had our bins emptied in over a fortnight already.

I really really struggle to consider them as anything other than useless. I personally would care less if they were all sacked, from the most senior manager to the office staff to the binmen themselves for being incompetent. They could be replaced in less time then one of their strikes takes.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
[MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION]

Do you know what's happening in Portslade? Mine haven't been collected in AGES and Mrs MBH is doing her box (and, by association, mine)

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
Oddly enough, we have superb bin men in Lewes. Decent blokes who are polite, get on with their job, clean up if they spill stuff and are round every week, same day, same time, without fail.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
[MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION]

Do you know what's happening in Portslade? Mine haven't been collected in AGES and Mrs MBH is doing her box (and, by association, mine)

Varies street by street mate. St Andrews Road was done then left then done 2 weeks later. Gardner St wasn't done for 4 weeks. Church Road was looking like Calcutta then they eventually sorted it. Another mate in Brambledean Rd didn't have a collection for 3 weeks. I suspect they are making it up as they go along and concentrating on either the posher houses or easier roads.

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
I thought they were on strike because the lorry drivers said it's more responsibility ferrying the binmen about. That's there job ffs.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here