Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Selling Cars

Since1982

Sep 30, 2006
Burgess Hill
What is the collective wisdom on selling high end second hand cars? I'm looking to sell my three year old Jaguar XF 2.2D. I bought it when I had a substantial car allowance from work and was driving 100 miles a day. That's all changed, going to be working close to home and really cannot justify keeping the car as much as I love it. I've looked at ebay but that seems to be lower priced vehicles, Autotrader looks good although full of dealers and I've heard mixed reports about webuyanycar.com and their valutions. Anyone with experience to share - or anyone who wants to buy a Jag XF just serviced, taxed and MOT'd?!

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
What is the collective wisdom on selling high end second hand cars? I'm looking to sell my three year old Jaguar XF 2.2D. I bought it when I had a substantial car allowance from work and was driving 100 miles a day. That's all changed, going to be working close to home and really cannot justify keeping the car as much as I love it. I've looked at ebay but that seems to be lower priced vehicles, Autotrader looks good although full of dealers and I've heard mixed reports about webuyanycar.com and their valutions. Anyone with experience to share - or anyone who wants to buy a Jag XF just serviced, taxed and MOT'd?!

Trade for my 2000 Audi TT plus money my way?
:p

Aug 23, 2011

You're not going to lose anything by getting a quote from webuyanycar however i've got a quote off them a couple of times and its been considerably less than i would sell for so i'm suspicious about all these people on the adverts that have saved loads but apparently some people get good deals and it only takes a few mins to do the web quote and get an idea of the price they will offer.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts

Depending on how affluent an area you live in, Gumtree might work. I sold a 3 year old high end Merc via it in Cambridge a couple of years ago.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Webuyanycar always seems like more of a last resort. Autotrader has worked well enough for me in the past.

Leighgull

Dec 27, 2012
You're not going to lose anything by getting a quote from webuyanycar however i've got a quote off them a couple of times and its been considerably less than i would sell for so i'm suspicious about all these people on the adverts that have saved loads but apparently some people get good deals and it only takes a few mins to do the web quote and get an idea of the price they will offer.

You might have noticed that WEBUYANYCAR have stopped claiming in their adverts that they pay you a good rate and have instead gone for "you'll be a cash buyer for your next car" this is because its the biggest rip off going.

Look on parkers list for a more realistic idea.

JTR938

Nov 24, 2012
You might have noticed that WEBUYANYCAR have stopped claiming in their adverts that they pay you a good rate and have instead gone for "you'll be a cash buyer for your next car" this is because its the biggest rip off going.

Now that is the biggest joke going....!

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
I sold to We Buy Any Car a few years ago. Their valuation for the Ford Galaxy I was desperate to unload was very favourable so I did the deal the same day.

They knocked me down a bit when I turned up, because they found minor bodywork flaws etc, but completely missed all the major problems they could have spotted had they got out of second gear with the test drive.

I'd always consider them for a rubbish car I wanted to sell, but their valuations are too low for decent vehicles.

ShanklySeagull

Justice for the 96...
May 30, 2011
Littlehampton
I wouldn't use webuyanycar under any circumstances if I were you. They will quote you a reasonable value to entice you in but this is always subject to physical check over by them which is where the sting in the tail comes in.

You then take the car to them (probably incurring a degree of expenses like fuel, plus the fuel in the second car you also take over there so you can get back home after selling). WBAC will then come up with a list of snags on your car that drive the price down they are willing to pay for your car.

They bank on the owner then accepting the much lower value just to complete the deal and get great car off their hands. There has been various articles in the press about the attics of WBAC and their like.

Avoid the hassle and put your car into Autotrader where you can at least realise a fair price.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Just out of interest what do WBAC do with all these cars they buy?

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Then there's always the option of hiding all the defects and selling it to a mate... :jester:

If you're referring to what I think you're referring to, I would take extremely strong issue with that. Anyway.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Just out of interest what do WBAC do with all these cars they buy?

Their sister company, We sell any car.com gets rid for them, at a large mark up obviously.

TonyW

Feb 11, 2004

I have to disagree I'm afraid.
I know experiences vary but I sold my 20 month old Octavia vRS in April and WBAC offered me just under £14,000 for it.
The book price was a little higher, but the main dealer I bought it from offered me under 10 grand for it, as did 3 other dealers.

Very easy transaction too.

Would highly recommend them.

TonyW

Feb 11, 2004
I wouldn't use webuyanycar under any circumstances if I were you. They will quote you a reasonable value to entice you in but this is always subject to physical check over by them which is where the sting in the tail comes in.

You then take the car to them (probably incurring a degree of expenses like fuel, plus the fuel in the second car you also take over there so you can get back home after selling). WBAC will then come up with a list of snags on your car that drive the price down they are willing to pay for your car.

They bank on the owner then accepting the much lower value just to complete the deal and get great car off their hands. There has been various articles in the press about the attics of WBAC and their like.

Avoid the hassle and put your car into Autotrader where you can at least realise a fair price.

They paid me exactly what they quoted on the website.
Guy checked the car over for less than a minute, then arranged for payment into my bank which appeared the next day.

Very pleased to be honest.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here