Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Pro or Air

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I am entering the wonderful world of apple and i am wondering which way i should go in regards to a macbook. Better Air or not so good Pro.

I want to use it as al all rounder but also record music and use garage band.

Any advice Appleistas?

Oh i will also have to run a seperate windows side for work so i can link up to the network and stuff.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
If you're going to spend that much on a laptop, just buy a pro. Especially if you plan on pushing it's performance a bit with recording etc.

I love Apple. Did I mention I love Apple?

Edit: spelling

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
If you're going to spend that much on a laptop, just buy a pro. Especially if you plan on pushing it's performance a bit with recording etc.

I love Apple. Did I mention I love Apple?

Edit: spelling

So a lower range pro is better than a higher range Air

Am i able to add memory and ram at a later date or do i need to make sure i get what i need now? I suppose i can get external hard drives down the track.

Will the 2 TB external harddrive that lives next to my PC going to be compatable with my new macbook?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I've got the 13"/256gb Air and it handles everything I throw at it with ease, but I'm not that demanding.

If I were looking to buy now, I'd probably wait a bit if I could as there could be a new 12" model en route, which may trigger refreshes or price revisions of other models - http://macbookair.macrumors.com

As ever the Mac Rumors Buyer's Guide should help steer when you buy - http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#MacBook_Air

jgmcdee

Mar 25, 2012
Pro is more powerful but is a bit heavier/clunkier (clunkier being relative). Air looks nicer, and is lighter, but doesn't have as much grunt.

If you're running Windows as a virtual machine (i.e. at the same time as OSX) then I'd possibly go more towards the Pro. If you're going to run it using Bootcamp (i.e. choose Windows or OSX at boot time) then either should be fine.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Whats the go with getting them? Should I be going to the apple shop or other shop. Are the online deals anygood? I am looking to get a macbook and a couple of ipads, ipad keyboard case, keyboard, apple TV box, printer and mouse.

(I know I am i OZ but i am assuming the apples stores are the same across the world)

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Pro is more powerful but is a bit heavier/clunkier (clunkier being relative). Air looks nicer, and is lighter, but doesn't have as much grunt.

If you're running Windows as a virtual machine (i.e. at the same time as OSX) then I'd possibly go more towards the Pro. If you're going to run it using Bootcamp (i.e. choose Windows or OSX at boot time) then either should be fine.

I think it is the bootcamp option but i will check that out at work.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
On a Pro you're certainly able to upgrade the RAM to up to at least 16GB (maybe more??) and even add an aftermarket SSD. I have no idea when it comes to the Air's upgradability to be honest.

Almost everything is now compatible with Macs out of the box so I wouldn't let that deter you at all. I can't imagine for one minute that a relatively modern external hard drive wouldn't play nice.

Like Bozza says though, there are strong rumors that a 12inch Air is on its way - Apple is holding an event on the 16th of this month so we might hear more then.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Whats the go with getting them? Should I be going to the apple shop or other shop. Are the online deals anygood? I am looking to get a macbook and a couple of ipads, ipad keyboard case, keyboard, apple TV box, printer and mouse.

(I know I am i OZ but i am assuming the apples stores are the same across the world)

You tend not to get "deals" on Macs anywhere. They strictly control the price at resellers, so just go to the Apple Store. If you have anyone in your household who is a student, they might be entitled to a discount so check first!

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
On a Pro you're certainly able to upgrade the RAM to up to at least 16GB (maybe more??) and even add an aftermarket SSD. I have no idea when it comes to the Air's upgradability to be honest.

Almost everything is now compatible with Macs out of the box so I wouldn't let that deter you at all. I can't imagine for one minute that a relatively modern external hard drive wouldn't play nice.

Like Bozza says though, there are strong rumors that a 12inch Air is on its way - Apple is holding an event on the 16th of this month so we might hear more then.

That would require some patiences and self control :). I also want to get rid of this crappy PC that work make me use :)

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
You tend not to get "deals" on Macs anywhere. They strictly control the price at resellers, so just go to the Apple Store. If you have anyone in your household who is a student, they might be entitled to a discount so check first!

Yes My wife is a student.

I am a teacher too :)

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

I'd disagree. Someone was asking for some advice on buying an Air a little while ago and I was amazed at how much cheaper they were not from Apple, including Amazon resellers.

That still seems to be the case now - http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb...ords=macbook+air+13&rh=i:aps,k:macbook+air+13

You just need to make sure you are getting a current model and not an older one. The headline spec may look the same, e.g. 13"/256gb, but the internals differ.

grawhite

Jul 6, 2011
Brighton

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
I'd disagree. Someone was asking for some advice on buying an Air a little while ago and I was amazed at how much cheaper they were not from Apple, including Amazon resellers.

That still seems to be the case now - http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb...ords=macbook+air+13&rh=i:aps,k:macbook+air+13

You just need to make sure you are getting a current model and not an older one. The headline spec may look the same, e.g. 13"/256gb, but the internals differ.

Shit, didn't know that!... Oh god I'm getting that must-buy-new-apple-product tingle in my mouse finger.... :ohmy:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I have been looking at those and am wondering if i should go the Pro with retina or the Pro without retina.

I've got 2 MBP's in the house, one is 7 years old and still runs beautifully even on hungry applications like Photoshop or iMovie.

I've always bought from the Apple Refurb / Clearance part of their online store. Full warranty, often just a product thats had it's box damaged or been returned. Worth a look as there are some good deals - http://store.apple.com/uk/browse/home/specialdeals/mac

Obviously screen size is a factor between the Air and MBP. Air is a max of 13" whereas you can get a 15" MBP.

Like for like, a 13" MBP weighs 1.57kg. The 13" Air weighs 1.35kg.

If I was intending to do media heavy stuff like photo and video edited, CAD or graphics applications, I'd probably recommend the MBP as it has a better graphics chip and capabilities. But if it's just everyday photos, bit of video, general word processing, browsing etc. then Air might be the better bet.

grawhite

Jul 6, 2011
Brighton
I recently went from windows to mac os and bought the MacBook Pro over the the thinner and lighter MacBook Air, when you compare what you lose by going lighter and thinner, is a hell of a lot and therefore more money for the lack of tech. You also have to remember that they can not be upgraded after purchase, although you can buy third party pci-e ssd boards, but these cost as much if not more the the original purchase.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I've got 2 MBP's in the house, one is 7 years old and still runs beautifully even on hungry applications like Photoshop or iMovie.

I've always bought from the Apple Refurb / Clearance part of their online store. Full warranty, often just a product thats had it's box damaged or been returned. Worth a look as there are some good deals - http://store.apple.com/uk/browse/home/specialdeals/mac

Obviously screen size is a factor between the Air and MBP. Air is a max of 13" whereas you can get a 15" MBP.

Like for like, a 13" MBP weighs 1.57kg. The 13" Air weighs 1.35kg.

If I was intending to do media heavy stuff like photo and video edited, CAD or graphics applications, I'd probably recommend the MBP as it has a better graphics chip and capabilities. But if it's just everyday photos, bit of video, general word processing, browsing etc. then Air might be the better bet.

I am looking to record music but i like the idea of being able to upgrade if i need to. I was just looking at the refurbished ones, that was going to be my next question. It sounds like it might be just the ticket.

grawhite

Jul 6, 2011
Brighton
I am looking to record music but i like the idea of being able to upgrade if i need to. I was just looking at the refurbished ones, that was going to be my next question. It sounds like it might be just the ticket.

Remember that refurbs can't be upgraded, this is done at the start of the build.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here