Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bluebell Railway,BBC Southeast in September.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
Love the Bluebell and missed this programme. Thanks for posting.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
Summed up rather well,whether any 'insider's' at the Bluebell see it differently i don't know. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iu08A4sh7yU
It will be great if the line goes west to Ardingly and then on to Haywards Heath great little piece it was fantastic watching other bits on the Bluebell Railway web site. Well done all those volunteers who work hard running the Bluebell railway a fantastic asset to Sussex.

MongoJerry

Mar 23, 2013
The bluebell website says possible "The two major areas of work that would be required to re-open the line are the replacement of a missing short girder-bridge span, and the replacement of the small Sherriff Mill viaduct, the condition of which was one of the reasons the line was closed in 1963. It was demolished in 1969, but options for bridging the gap by extending the embankments and using two newly obtained bridge sections, are being pursued"

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Highly unlikely, unfortunately - there's a little matter of a massive viaduct which BR so eagerly demolished when they closed the line.

With all due respect,the Bluebell ''sorted'' Imberhorne out and i would like to think a smallish viaduct is within their skills.

Kubes

Jan 6, 2010
I believe that the Bluebell Railway already possesses some bridge girders for use on a possible Ardingly bound extension. The real problems will be at Haywards Heath where the line from Ardingly joins the mainline as there is not enough width for a separate Bluebell line and Network Rail will not like the idea of frequent electric trains sharing the long loop on the down side with steam trains.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I believe that the Bluebell Railway already possesses some bridge girders for use on a possible Ardingly bound extension. The real problems will be at Haywards Heath where the line from Ardingly joins the mainline as there is not enough width for a separate Bluebell line and Network Rail will not like the idea of frequent electric trains sharing the long loop on the down side with steam trains.
The pay-off for Network Rail might be electrifying all the way through to East Grin. - so it could be used as an occasional relief line. It's a pity there isn't more Southern Electric stock preserved - that could have made quite a feature, and it wouldn't have been a bad idea for the Bluebell to run steam from Sheff. Park to East Grin., with a vintage electric service to Haywards Heath (turning steam trains there might be a problem too).

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here