Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bicycle number plates

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I should get out there and build us some fit for purpose cycle tracks then, nibble old chum.

There are hundreds of miles of cycle lanes available to cyclists, to others they are known as pavements.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
There are hundreds of miles of cycle lanes available to cyclists, to others they are known as pavements.
A bicycle hitting a person will do far less damage then a vehicle hitting a cyclist, the law needs to be USE PAVEMENTS NOT ROADS

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
A bicycle hitting a person will do far less damage then a vehicle hitting a cyclist, the law needs to be USE PAVEMENTS NOT ROADS

Surely that is already in force ?

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
Last edited:

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013

LU7 RED

Nov 5, 2010
Leighton Buzzard
Some cyclists are idiots, but at the the end of the day they are a bit of a nuisance. Badly driven motor vehicles KILL people and quite a few a year as we all know. The problem here is there is no sense of perspective, how some car drivers can take the moral high ground is beyond me.

For what it's worth, I think cyclists are mad to cycle down some roads. I run along Euston Rd and see the cyclists coming the other way with a lorry or a bus right behind them..the infrastructure needs to be put in place first

chamakh_attack

Feb 14, 2014
Some cyclists are idiots, but at the the end of the day they are a bit of a nuisance. Badly driven motor vehicles KILL people and quite a few a year as we all know. The problem here is there is no sense of perspective, how some car drivers can take the moral high ground is beyond me.

For what it's worth, I think cyclists are mad to cycle down some roads. I run along Euston Rd and see the cyclists coming the other way with a lorry or a bus right behind them..the infrastructure needs to be put in place first

Fully agree.

BUT. The thread is not about that it is about cyclists being registered so that they can be brought to book if they break the law/are caught breaking the law. We all know that cars are more dangerous and that many motorists break the law but they are registered and often brought to book. That isn't the subject we are dealing with here.

The comments from some cyclists to the question posed is not answered by "motorists are worse".

Yoda

English & European
Haha that last clip is priceless! Serves him right lol
[emoji468] [emoji590] [emoji30]

God you're boring me.

Firstly, we do not know what the bus driver has done to cause the cyclist to act in this way.

Secondly, what the bus driver has done is an act of road rage, and both he and the company would end up liable.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
God you're boring me.

Firstly, we do not know what the bus driver has done to cause the cyclist to act in this way.

Secondly, what the bus driver has done is an act of road rage, and both he and the company would end up liable.
Good evening Yoda
I'm so glad I bore you
You're probably the sort of cyclist that gets a hard on getting in drivers way!
You->[emoji468] [emoji609] [emoji590] [emoji598] [emoji597] [emoji603] [emoji594] <-Me

Yoda

English & European
Good evening Yoda
I'm so glad I bore you
You're probably the sort of cyclist that gets a hard on getting in drivers way!
You->[emoji468] [emoji609] [emoji590] [emoji598] [emoji597] [emoji603] [emoji594] <-Me

:yawn:

Err! No Actually. I tend to avoid main roads now due to having two near misses due to inconsiderate DRIVING, and take the back roads.

1st one was where I was slowing to move around a car parked on my side of the road. Giving way to on coming traffic (Like the highway code says) only to get nearly taken out as I move out thinking the way was clear to find a car TAILGATING a van. (Ok this was before tailgating was made illegal, but still).

2nd time was on a T junction that was turned into a mini roundabout (one of the ones on Richmond Road in Worthing). The turn off was on my side of the road so I would have to give way to anyone wanting to turn down that road. On coming truck decides to turn down said road WITHOUT indicating and letting me know what manoeuvre he is making. The trouble was, I was already crossing the give way markings at the time and nearly ended up under one of his huge tyres.

I suppose in your mind, me being on the bike, BOTH instances were my fault. :tosser:

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
:yawn:

Err! No Actually. I tend to avoid main roads now due to having two near misses due to inconsiderate DRIVING, and take the back roads.

1st one was where I was slowing to move around a car parked on my side of the road. Giving way to on coming traffic (Like the highway code says) only to get nearly taken out as I move out thinking the way was clear to find a car TAILGATING a van. (Ok this was before tailgating was made illegal, but still).

2nd time was on a T junction that was turned into a mini roundabout (one of the ones on Richmond Road in Worthing). The turn off was on my side of the road so I would have to give way to anyone wanting to turn down that road. On coming truck decides to turn down said road WITHOUT indicating and letting me know what manoeuvre he is making. The trouble was, I was already crossing the give way markings at the time and nearly ended up under one of his huge tyres.

I suppose in your mind, me being on the bike, BOTH instances were my fault. :tosser:
Should've been using the cycle paths I bought for you.

SAC

May 21, 2014
Fully agree.

BUT. The thread is not about that it is about cyclists being registered so that they can be brought to book if they break the law/are caught breaking the law. We all know that cars are more dangerous and that many motorists break the law but they are registered and often brought to book. That isn't the subject we are dealing with here.

The comments from some cyclists to the question posed is not answered by "motorists are worse".

In London, Boris Bikes are clearly identifiable (each has a unique number and your details are held on the TFL database) and payment even comes with insurance. Are Boris Bike cyclists any more law abiding than cyclists on non identifiable bikes? If the answer is no, then how would a number plate on a bike make any difference whatsoever?

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
In London, Boris Bikes are clearly identifiable (each has a unique number and your details are held on the TFL database) and payment even comes with insurance. Are Boris Bike cyclists any more law abiding than cyclists on non identifiable bikes? If the answer is no, then how would a number plate on a bike make any difference whatsoever?

There have been a total of 2 prosecutions (from millions of journeys) of people riding the Barclays Bikes since the scheme started - neither of them involved using the number displayed on the bike for identification.

As a trial (long duration, millions of journeys, in an area with plenty of traffic cameras) this clearly shows the pointlessness of the idea.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Here's some food for thought from the Guardian ... for those who moan about the cost of cycle lanes.

"It’s simple financial common sense. The cost of 1km of cycle track is paid off in five years by the health benefits of users getting more exercise. Car traffic drops by 10% on these stretches and cycling increases by 20%. The 41% of the population who arrive at work or school by bike contribute a whopping €235m (£185m) a year to the public coffers. Re-allocating space from less cost-efficient transport forms like cars to modern, cost-effective bicycles makes sense."

and for those who moan about law-breaking

"If you want to see improved behaviour among cyclists, just build best-practice infrastructure for them – separate bikes from pedestrians and cars and give them their own space in the urban landscape. Copenhagen has the world’s best-behaved cyclists: only 7% bend or break a traffic law and only 1% do something like run a red light or ride on the pavement. Good design improves behaviour."

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
Personally, I wouldn't. But when doi you judge it's safe. if you were wrong, you wouldn't have a leg to stand on.

Same as you in your pedestrian guise, look right, look left, look right again, if it's safe to do so, cross. As I stand (ahem) I'm a 100% er

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Same as you in your pedestrian guise, look right, look left, look right again, if it's safe to do so, cross. As I stand (ahem) I'm a 100% er
You're milking it now roger[emoji31]

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
You're milking it now roger[emoji31]

wrongun, im only having to pound the living c@#t out of this cos of mindless twonks such as yourself :D
seriously, the same shit gag, repeatedly, on so many different threads?
are you a gas or bathroom fitter? and, here's the actual point;
do you waste more time behind bikes or f@ckwits making pointless journeys in cars? honest injun :thumbsup: :kiss:

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
10704171_720610231353720_8050866567633828724_n.png

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here