Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bicycle number plates

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Should cyclists who break the law be prosecuted? Yes, of course.

Can you stick a number plate on a bicycle that is big enough to read? No, you cannot.

Thread closed.

Surrey_Albion

Jan 17, 2011
Horley
The other day while stationary and sat at traffic lights I cyclist cut into the inside, slowed down, began to wobbly then hit the front wing of my car, the c### then turned and had a go at me "the bloody car driver". Wished id run the c### over as I was a stationary vehicle!! So yes a good idea also road tax

DumLum

Oct 24, 2009
West, West, West Sussex.
This generation of lycra louts didn't grow up with this on the Tele everyday:
[video]http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_uri=%2F&gl=GB#/watch?v=1MFuSMz1zh0[/video]

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
nice idea to mull over down the pub, but daft to air in public as theres no practical way to implement it.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Should cyclists who break the law be prosecuted? Yes, of course.

Can you stick a number plate on a bicycle that is big enough to read? No, you cannot.

Thread closed.

why can't they be big enough to read ??? moped ones are readable.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Anyone who jumps a red light annoys the &#*$ out of me.

I tend to be more worried about the cars and vans doing it though than the cyclists, weird that...

Why? a car or van has metal box protection from traffic that has right of way if hit, a cyclist has none, i'm more worried about the cyclist.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Can you stick a number plate on a bicycle that is big enough to read? No, you cannot..

Why ever not? What a ridiculous thing to say. Perfectly doable, and could be combined into the rear reflector of the bike.

bigjon

Oct 12, 2003

I tend to be more worried about the cars and vans doing it though than the cyclists, weird that...

i agree, very weird that. youll see at least 50 cyclist jump a light before you see a car or van doing the same,

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
This would be a good idea as currently cyclists can flout the law and usually always get away with it. A few weeks ago though, I was on the A23 at the lights by the Duke of Yorks, I was 3 cars behind a Police car which was the first car at the stop line, as the lights changed the Police car started to move but had to stop as 2 bicyclists had jumped the red light northbound and slowly peddled across in front of the cop car. Imagine my joy as the cops pulled out behind them and put their blue lights on and pulled the both of them !

Meanwhile, this little extract from the article says it all. "Tony Green, of the Brighton and Hove Cycling Campaign, described the licensing of cyclists as unrealistic. “There are cyclists who break the law, but ten or one hundred times as many motorists break the law,” he said. So, next time you are sat at the lights remember, for every cyclist that goes through a red light, there are 10, yes, 10 minimum cars that go through on a red and possibly a hundred. Well there you go, what a complete idiot.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Meanwhile, this little extract from the article says it all. "Tony Green, of the Brighton and Hove Cycling Campaign, described the licensing of cyclists as unrealistic. “There are cyclists who break the law, but ten or one hundred times as many motorists break the law,” he said. So, next time you are sat at the lights remember, for every cyclist that goes through a red light, there are 10, yes, 10 minimum cars that go through on a red and possibly a hundred. Well there you go, what a complete idiot.

There are 30m drivers in the UK and, according to an RAC survey, 83% of respondents admit to breaking speed limits regularly. So that's about 25m drivers who admit breaking the law (and that's the ones who admit to it). According to the national travel survey, there are 3m cyclists in the UK, so even if every one broke the law regularly (and they don't) that's still eight times as many guilty motorists - so ten times is about right. The 100 is a bit far fetched though.

As a guide, I once spent a month observing cyclists on my morning commute and between 16 to 20% percent of them rode through red lights. I haven't counted since but my gut feeling would continue to be one in five.

I agree with beorthelm, number plates for cyclists is a conversation in the saloon bar of the Dog and Duck but a complete non-starter in the real world

D

Deleted member 22389

It seems there are more road rage videos against cyclists in the UK on Youtube than any other country.
Facts are our roads are too small for the amount of cars we have driving on them. Secondly the UK has never been a cycling country not like France where cyclists seem to be respected, where the roads are bigger and drivers give cyclists a wide birth.

Car drivers need to accept that cycling is here to stay. Cycle ownership is going through the roof as more people opt for two wheels due the cost of driving, the flexibility of not being stuck in traffic and most importantly the major health benefits. What's not too like really at the end of the day. Cycling is a great form of transport.

However when you cycle on our roads you take your life in your hands. I have been kicked at, sworn at and nearly run over last year. None of these incidents where my fault, it was drivers not looking, or drivers that where angry because they didn't like the fact that someone on two wheels is actually going faster than them.

I drive as well. Last month I had a cyclist in front of me on the road. I couldn't see what was coming the other way, so I waited back for a minute or so, I did the sensible thing until I could overtake in safety. I didn't want to be responsible for hurting or even worse killing a cyclist. It didn't stop the ******** behind me in his car behind beeping his horn at me.

As for massive number plates it will never happen. However I'm happy to carry a small registration plate under my saddle, and I'm happy to pay £10 a year cycle road usage, if I knew it would go towards a proper network of cycle paths and keep me away from some of these dangerous angry drivers on the road who keep going on about fing Road Tax.

The problem is the numbers of cars, nothing else. Your the problem, I'm the problem every time we start our engines. We add to the congestion.

Pedestrians break the law, or fail to comply with the Highway Code. As do baby buggy pushers, dog walkers, and zimmer frame users.

They should ALL be required to wear some form of easily readable identification that is clearly detectable on CCTV cameras at all times.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
I haven't looked at the link but if it is serious then it would only be appropriate if such measures were carried out to all. Visible ID for pedestrians to stop aimless wandering across roads and cycle paths, joggers, skateboarders, roller skaters, mobility scooters, wheelchair users and any new form of transport that may be invented.

I don't think even hitler went that far did he? Maybe he didn't read The Times

Just because a few morons get wound up that cyclist jump red lights whilst they sit in their cars causing traffic jams unable to jump lights for fear of the occasional camera doesn't make it a good idea.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Why? a car or van has metal box protection from traffic that has right of way if hit, a cyclist has none, i'm more worried about the cyclist.
Wow, just wow.
So the 3000+ deaths on the road caused by this metal box protection isn't an issue?

When the drunk, drugged, incapable, impatient, red light jumping, speeding, death machines are under control then by all means go down to the next rung on the ladder.

But lets sort out the needless deaths caused by cars and vans first.

While encouraging people to use a form of transport that won't kill them or their family, if used properly, or anybody else.

Hopefully Wrong Direction will be along soon with his brilliant and witty remarks.
That'll sink this pointless baiting thread to the bowels of page 2

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Hmmmm. Same here. I also worry more about how a person can get so uptight about cyclists.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here