Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why don't Islamic State just move in with Saudi Arabia ?

BlockDpete

Oct 8, 2005
Funnily enough, I went to see Tunisia v Saudi Arabia in Munich during the 2006 World Cup.

Saw quite a few Saudi looking women, in their national top, plus scarves. But no burkas or head coverings at all.

Guess once they are out if their country, anything goes?

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Funnily enough, I went to see Tunisia v Saudi Arabia in Munich during the 2006 World Cup.

Saw quite a few Saudi looking women, in their national top, plus scarves. But no burkas or head coverings at all.

Ahh,freedom.

fataddick

Feb 6, 2004
The seaside.

I was at that game too. Lot of Saudi fans in the beer halls the next day. Decent bunch. The ones I spoke to lived in Germany/Europe (either Europeans of Saudi descent, students or kids of Europe-based Saudi businessmen). Nowt wrong with that. It would be naive to think that people who support a country in the World Cup have actually flown to the tournament from that country - a large portion, especially from the further afield and more restrictive countries, will almost certain be ex-pats.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
All sounds fine and dandy now, but wait until she becomes riddled with sin.

Ex-Staffs Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Adelaide, SA
You have a patriarchal society with religion as a justification to break down. There are still men only institutions in this country. Going back 100 years in this country, women had to cover up, had no vote and were restricted in education and jobs. Change takes time and comes from within. The very fact that IS exists tells you that change is happening and they dont like it.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Saudi and Qatar have funded the entire is movement. Medieval regimes that act as the extra us states. Vile countries that carry out extremities worse than IS deliver every day.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta

Dead Right.

As soon as the wheels go up, there is a mass rush to the toilets and they all change to western clothes and come out and order their alcoholic drinks which are banned in their country. Hypocrites! (I worked there for 2.5 years)

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Dead Right.

As soon as the wheels go up, there is a mass rush to the toilets and they all change to western clothes and come out and order their alcoholic drinks which are banned in their country. Hypocrites! (I worked there for 2.5 years)

How does that make them all "hypocrites"?

If obeying the law in their own country would result in prison or a public lashing, I don't see it as hypocritical to comply with it. It's only hypocritical if somebody bangs on about the sanctity of Islam in the meantime. I don't imagine they all do that. They just do what they're told.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
"How does that make them all "hypocrites"?

If obeying the law in their own country would result in prison or a public lashing, I don't see it as hypocritical to comply with it. It's only hypocritical if somebody bangs on about the sanctity of Islam in the meantime. I don't imagine they all do that. They just do what they're told. "

Their religion forbids alcohol not their country. When you met Saudis in their own country they all came across as devout Muslims.

Tesco in Disguise

Where do we go from here?
Jul 5, 2003
Wienerville
You have a patriarchal society with religion as a justification to break down. There are still men only institutions in this country. Going back 100 years in this country, women had to cover up, had no vote and were restricted in education and jobs. Change takes time and comes from within. The very fact that IS exists tells you that change is happening and they dont like it.
Yes, but the west was pioneering with liberal democracy and sexual equality. So it was more difficult for us. The Saudis have countless examples all around them off what a more just society should look like, and it's far less forgivable that they don't follow suit.

I cannot wait until the oil runs out.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic

If obeying the law in their own country would result in prison or a public lashing, I don't see it as hypocritical to comply with it. It's only hypocritical if somebody bangs on about the sanctity of Islam in the meantime. I don't imagine they all do that. They just do what they're told. "

Their religion forbids alcohol not their country. When you met Saudis in their own country they all came across as devout Muslims.

I left Saudi as quite a heavy drinker to be honest. Never really was before, and that included the RN.
Used to see native Saudis at parties all the time, particularly at Lockheed, and BAC

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Is this what the West is up against ? Why don't Islamic State just move in with Saudi Arabia ?[/URL]

Then we could buy one big feck off missile and be done with these little waste of time and money raids in Syria and kill two birds with one stone, pop back in a few years and divide the remaining assets equally of course with the US..... seems a good plan to me....

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
I left Saudi as quite a heavy drinker to be honest. Never really was before, and that included the RN.
Used to see native Saudis at parties all the time, particularly at Lockheed, and BAC

True if you had the right contacts to those with connections. I was working on the site where they built KKMC. Just a humble worker and so didn't get invited to the upper echelons :( Did pay £60 for a bottle of home brew spirit one Christmas)

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast

What else does it forbid? Cannabis? Heroin (probably Opium then)? Obviously not 4x4's.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
True if you had the right contacts to those with connections. I was working on the site where they built KKMC. Just a humble worker and so didn't get invited to the upper echelons :( Did pay £60 for a bottle of home brew spirit one Christmas)

Worked there myself ;-) Hafr Al Batin...yeah, out in the desert, it was more a Saddiqui environment. It was much better (obviously) in the support offices in Khobar, and Riyadh

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
The IS isn't only fighting for Jihadism - it's more about politics & territory, hence "ISIL", "ISIS" - their goal is to take over the Levant and run things their way.

The trouble is The Levant today consists of Cyprus, Israel, Jordan, Lebanon, Palestine, Syria, and part of southern Turkey (the former Aleppo Vilayet).

Spot the country with Nuclear weapons.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here