Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Pirates steal Oil Tanker

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
To be honest, if they can steal a whole oil tanker and get away with, they deserve to keep it

"Vietnamese coastguards and the owners of an oil tanker that went missing after leaving Singapore say they firmly believe it has been seized by pirates near Indonesia.

Communications equipment on board the Sunrise-689 appeared to have been switched off or destroyed after the Vietnamese ship disappeared.

This means the tanker cannot be detected using satellite equipment.

Vietnamese authorities have asked counterparts across SE Asia for help"

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Communications equipment on board the Sunrise-689 appeared to have been switched off or destroyed after the Vietnamese ship disappeared.

This means the tanker cannot be detected using satellite equipment.

I can see that they can turn off the GPS, etc but don't quite get the 'undetectable by satellites' bit. Oil tankers are generally quite BIG aren't they? Have they switched of the GPS and switched on an invisibility cloak?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I can see that they can turn off the GPS, etc but don't quite get the 'undetectable by satellites' bit. Oil tankers are generally quite BIG aren't they? Have they switched of the GPS and switched on an invisibility cloak?

Quite. A huge oil tanker with a Jolly Roger on top is going to stand out somewhat.

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
telescope_portrait_copyrighted.jpg

robinsonsgrin

Mar 16, 2009
LA...wishing it was devon..
my friend actually deals with these pirates on behalf of the major insurance companies.
it was fascinating to hear the ins and outs of the whole process and shockingly sad to hear that often the lives of the crews are not considered worth saving - just pay out a bit of compensation to the families.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

more or less, as there arent satellites flying around with the necessary equipment to play "where's the dot on the high seas".

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

Perhaps they are Vulcan pirates? Or from Hogwarts?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here