Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Nick Clegg

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
Having mry the bloke on more than one occasion I have to say I think he's well-meaning. But just a bit dull. He tends to waffle a lot.

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
I think he and the Liberals have done a good job of smoothing some of the harsher edges of the Conservatives. If I could vote to keep the coalition as it is, I would.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I think he and the Liberals have done a good job of smoothing some of the harsher edges of the Conservatives. If I could vote to keep the coalition as it is, I would.

I wouldn't want to keep this coalition, but I agree, I can only see the Liberals adding a balance to either a Labour or Conservative coalition.

I think they've been wrongly victimised for joining the coalition. It was the democratic thing to do and ensured the country wasn't thrown into a period of instability at the height of a recession and financial collapse. They are a minority in government but have pushed hard for their left minded policies to be heard, and been part of (no matter how critical you are of it) and contributed to a stable coalition government.

Obviously no one voting Liberal would have wanted to partner with the Tories, but taking a step back and you realise that actually, they had little choice. The Conservatives won the election, not by an outright margin, but they won it and had the elected right to form a government.

I think being part of government has actually given their policies credibility, so much so that the Tory party are actually copying some of them in their attempts to soften themselves to the centre left.

All in all where others appear to despise them, I've actually grown to like them. I wonder if they're actually going to be the surprise of the next election.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither

This government have not actually done anything though have they ? Is there a credible vision for improving the lot of our citizens. We are not used to coalitions - but it seems like a do-nothing arrangement judging from this parliament.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Listened to Clegg's speech today.

I think you probably can make some sort of case that the LibDems have achieved some minor victories in government and diluted some of the worst excesses of the Tories.

But it is just impossible to take Clegg seriously. Every word he utters is seen in the context of that U-turn on tuition fees to get a sniff of power. Under him, the LibDems have signed up to something that will make higher education the preserve of the better-off, place a huge barrier to fulfilling potential in the way of bright working-class kids, and in all likelihood hasten the arrival of a self-perpetuating elite on a scale not seen since feudal times.

Knowing this, you sit there listening to him saying (as he did today) 'We are the party of education and opportunity', and it is a crock of sh!te. This from a guy who went to Westminster School and Cambridge. I don't know how he sleeps at night.

Great gag on Twitter earlier saying he was late for his speech because make-up needed extra time for his two faces. Ouch!

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
All in all where others appear to despise them, I've actually grown to like them. I wonder if they're actually going to be the surprise of the next election.

Whilst I don't disagree with your thoughtful analysis, the only suprise will be when the Greens beat them into 5th place in terms of the National vote (both behind UKIP.) They may win 15-20 isolated local seats with particuarly good MP's but nationally they are going to get roasted. 10% share at the absolute maximum.

Last edited:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Whilst I don't disagree with your thoughtful analysis, the only suprise will be when the Green's beat them into 5th place in terms of the National vote (both behind UKIP.) They may win 15-20 isolated local seats with particuarly good MP's but nationally they are going to get roasted. 10% share at the absolute maximum.

It's just not cricket.:thumbsup:

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
I fell for Cleggs words last time. I was fed up with Brown and I saw right through Cameron but Clegg was saying the right things and he has gone and done it again about not letting the working poor pay off the deficit etc.
But he lied like all the rest so I wont fall for that again but the lib dems have helped to control the tories to a certain extent in the coalition.
Hate Cameron, Milliband is a major worry.
What on earth do you do this time around.

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
After the general election Nick Clegg will be the leader of the other SNP -- the Somerset Naturalists Party.

They'll hang onto a few seats in the West Country thanks to the birdwatcher vote....

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Whilst I don't disagree with your thoughtful analysis, the only suprise will be when the Greens beat them into 5th place in terms of the National vote (both behind UKIP.) They may win 15-20 isolated local seats with particuarly good MP's but nationally they are going to get roasted. 10% share at the absolute maximum.

It looks at the moment next years election will be a close call,so what does any government need for power 326 MP,S now for arguements sake put CMD on 300 and Red Ed on 300 where do the other 50 go ? The DUP (at the moment 8 MP's) would not support any move to bring down CMD,Clegg may have around 25 MP's and would surely stick with CMD,add one or two other's Indepentdant/Ukip (?) it would be tight but CMD might be able to muster 335+ votes ?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here