Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

PL looking abroad again

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Apparently the PL are 'prepared' to allow a winter break if the FA lose FA Cup replays and the FL go to one leg S-F in the league cup. That's very big of them. Maybe they could make space for the winter break by removing the two extra teams they have

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Not seen a thread on this

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/oct/07/premier-league-38th-game-overseas-fixtures

Looks a bonkers plan to me. Would tens of thousands people really go to watch Hull v Crystal Palace or Burnley v Stoke in China or Malaysia?

Kick in the balls to fans over here, but Wembley always sells out every time the NFL rolls into town. I'm guessing its the same with the Basketball at the o2? I'm sure the locals out there would love it.

Yes I appreciate American sport and how their franchises work is completely different to over here but when have the PL/FA ever given a flying **** about the fans?!? As our American cousins would say it's all about the Benjamin's!

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
I can this happening as the money involved would be ridiculous. Unlike the NFL I actually think it will be the top teams clamouring to play in this fixture too, United, Liverpool, Chelsea and City would love to do it.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
It'll happen, the revenues would be too much to say no to, and the players would probably sppreciate the holiday.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
It'll happen, the revenues would be too much to say no to, and the players would probably sppreciate the holiday.

I can see this happen as well buts it's a big V sign to the teams fans over here, and who will want to see, say Hull versus Burnley abroad!?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Unlike the NFL I actually think it will be the top teams clamouring to play in this fixture too, United, Liverpool, Chelsea and City would love to do it.

Yes, but that's not what's being proposed - it's for all the teams to do it and I can't see many of the others being a glamour draw

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Yes, but that's not what's being proposed - it's for all the teams to do it and I can't see many of the others being a glamour draw

Easily managed though. You don't have to fixture Liverpool v Chelsea and Burnley v Hull do you? they're not stupid.

Chelsea v Hull
Liverpool v Burnley
United v Palace
City v Stoke
Arsenal v QPR
Spurs v blah blah

All sell out, no problem.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Easily managed though. You don't have to fixture Liverpool v Chelsea and Burnley v Hull do you? they're not stupid.

Chelsea v Hull
Liverpool v Burnley
United v Palace
City v Stoke
Arsenal v QPR
Spurs v blah blah

All sell out, no problem.

... and Leicester v Southampton
Sunderland v QPR etc

The teams left out may actually suffer financial losses without home or away support (plus costs of getting to games)

Mind you, the police in the north-east might welcome Newcastle v Sunderland in Shanghai - let Chinese police horses get punched

... and Leicester v Southampton
Throw enough money into the marketing and I'm sure you could persuade a few hundred thousand residents of, say, Bangladesh that Leicester v Southampton is a massive grudge match that is up there with Fleetwood v Blackpool.

Demand for tickets would outstrip Glastonbury.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
It's only going to be a matter of time before a Super European League or maybe even a World League is set up by the 'glamour' teams. The Premier League may revert back to the old 'first division'. When? Within a decade I'm guessing.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Throw enough money into the marketing and I'm sure you could persuade a few hundred thousand residents of, say, Bangladesh that Leicester v Southampton is a massive grudge match that is up there with Fleetwood v Blackpool.

Demand for tickets would outstrip Glastonbury.

Greed! Greed! Greed! That is all it is, though doubtless it will be dressed up as letting people in perhaps poorer areas or just simply other parts of the world have a chance to see their idols! At first it will be just once a season, but if it rakes in a lot, this will undoubtedly be twice and so on. And the fans here? Well, who really cares when millions are involved for the clubs, TV companies and players. Yes, the club might say that this will benefit the team and ultimately the supporters, but if all clubs are at it, with zillions sloshing around, then this will surely mean that the price of that extra desperately needed striker will rise accordingly.
Perhaps something like this might tip the scales and start a mass boycott or some sort of supporter action?

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
Soooo... what would happen with the STHs that don't get to go to a game they've paid for because it is moved abroad?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Greed! Greed! Greed! That is all it is, though doubtless it will be dressed up as letting people in perhaps poorer areas

I've been thinking about that just now. If you're a team like Arsenal with 60,000 gates and you move to, say, Indonesia to a stadium with perhaps 80,000, are you going to recoup your costs? You're not going to charge anything like UK prices.

The only way it would work would be to play in the US, Japan or S Korea where clubs could charge decent money. Even then, I'm not wholly convinced that the rewards would be that great after costs are taken into account.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
are you going to recoup your costs? You're not going to charge anything like UK prices.

The only way it would work would be to play in the US, Japan or S Korea where clubs could charge decent money. Even then, I'm not wholly convinced that the rewards would be that great after costs are taken into account.

I think it's all about pitch-side advertisements.
There will be hundreds of companies all over the world who will pay £millions to advertise their company/product for just 1 day.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Another plan which helps maintain the status quo for the top echelon of elite teams...

For example... Hull play Chelsea in an overseas match in, say, Malaysia.

Hull get to be the designated "home" team and lose the income from one home games at home.

Even if the rights and receipts are split evenly, the Commercial revenues will be heavily biased towards the existing elite clubs... Even though Hull are "at home", I wager my house that more Chelsea shirts/merchandise gets sold, meaning Chelsea are the greater financial benefactors, even though Hull should be.

I watched some of the Raiders/Dolphins game and it was clear that, despite the Raiders being designated the Home team, the more 'famous' Dolphins got the greater support (and therefore a greater revenue from merchandising!).

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
I've been thinking about that just now. If you're a team like Arsenal with 60,000 gates and you move to, say, Indonesia to a stadium with perhaps 80,000, are you going to recoup your costs? You're not going to charge anything like UK prices.

The Hull City owner made an interesting comment the other day. He said in the Championship, attendance revenue was 60% of the clubs total income. In the Premiership it is 7% (with full attendance) The rest is made up from SKY/BT. So attendances / ticket prices are not the main concern of Premier League clubs.

First video on left hand side of page.. http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/29440451

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here