Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Coventry Wasps

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Lots of pros and cons here.

Coventry does have a Rugby club, but they play in third tier. They only attract crowds around the 1000 mark. They would provide an excellent feeder club.

Teams such as Northampton, Leicester and especially Worcester, will have their noses put out of joint by this. The Midlands is their feeding ground for new talent. Interesting developments ahead.

Wasps were recently on the verge of going out of business in 2012. A narrow defeat on the final day against their main relegation rivals, Newcastle, secured their survival. If they had gone down that may have been it.

In the pursuit of survival, it is not uncommon for clubs to forget their roots. As London Welsh have done in their move to Oxford. It's a classic case of 'If not this, then what ?'

My understanding was that ground share with Brentford was the option most likely, or even sharing our gaff (Quins). I'm no Wasps admirer, but I do feel sorry for their fans if this happens. Especially as they seem to have turned the corner.

I guess the recent name change to London Wasps, to affiliate themselves with their origins, is going to need another review then...

An open, and passionate letter from a Wasps fan...

http://www.rugbynetwork.net/main/wasps/s96/st187409/dear-wasps--an-open-letter-to-wasps

Last edited:

Apr 1, 2007
Saltdean
The Coventry Bees have just made it to the Speedway Grand Final....

Perhaps yellow and black striped insect based sports teams are attracted to Coventry ?

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
The Coventry Bees have just made it to the Speedway Grand Final....

Perhaps yellow and black striped insect based sports teams are attracted to Coventry ?

A city with a strong sense of identity. It'll be interesting to see how they take to their new tenants.

gregbrighton

Aug 10, 2014
Brighton
As a lifelong Wycombe Wanderers supporter (I grew up there) as well as a Brighton fan, the effect of Wasps presence has had a detrimental effect on the football club.

I feel sorry for any football and rugby club within the Coventry catchment area who are going to have these franchise nomads on their doorstep. :wrong:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
This is a farce - the London Wasps relocating from Wycombe to Coventry. I feel sorry for Coventry Rugby Club fans, those in Wycombe and the fans who have commuted from London. I guess they can all go fvck themselves?

Coventry RFC are a club with a proud history and a host of former England players. This is a shocking story.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here