Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Appealing against a change to Council tax band at a Valuation Tribunal

About as far away from a football posting as you can get. Has anyone experience of doing this, any hints, tips and outcomes please. Our house has been shifted from D to E banding, I have objected but the decision has been upheld. I do have the option of appealling but would appreciate some advice please.

mwrpoole

Sep 10, 2010
Sevenoaks
About as far away from a football posting as you can get. Has anyone experience of doing this, any hints, tips and outcomes please. Our house has been shifted from D to E banding, I have objected but the decision has been upheld. I do have the option of appealling but would appreciate some advice please.

What prompted the change? Have you recently purchased the property and are therefore being caught with a previous extension that was done post 1991.?

What prompted the change? Have you recently purchased the property and are therefore being caught with a previous extension that was done post 1991.?

Nothing I am aware of! House purchase in 2007 had an "improvement marker" against it as previous owner had extended it. The band was reviewed and written confirmation received from the Valuation Officer confirmed that it was to stay on Band D! Out of the blue they wrote in July advising that it was going up to "E".

mwrpoole

Sep 10, 2010
Sevenoaks
Nothing I am aware of! House purchase in 2007 had an "improvement marker" against it as previous owner had extended it. The band was reviewed and written confirmation received from the Valuation Officer confirmed that it was to stay on Band D! Out of the blue they wrote in July advising that it was going up to "E".

That does sound odd! You have to assume that they reviewed it at the right time, but for some reason reviewed their own review. That would suggest it is a borderline case unless their original review was miles out. So I think it is worth appealing but you're going to need to provide some evidence to support your case. This is not easy, Band D is for values between £68,001 and £88,000 as at 1st April 1991. You need to somehow find out the original property value back then, and then the effect of the extension as if it were there on 01/04/1991. If other neighbouring properties have had similar extensions you could also see what Band they are in, but they can only change on a change of ownership, so anyone who had an extension and not moved won't help you. Good Luck!

Premiership Dream

Nov 16, 2011
I kicked off years ago as my house was valued as a band C and I brought in 1992 and the price I paid it fell into a Band B I got it and a rebate

However I then moved to a E banded property and my sister lived 2 streets away in a bigger more valuable house which was D band so I kicked off again this time no luck....the only difference was my 1st house was under lewes council and 2nd under brighton council.....but as the valuations were based in 1991 I cant see how they can change it now.....when I wanted E reduced to D they told me they couldn't as it was based on 1991 valuations

blackprince

Jul 16, 2007
If any of the other properties in your street/road have had a similar extension you can see what band they are in using the voa.gov.uk website

Last edited:

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
If any of the other properties in your street/road have had a similar extension you can see what band they are in using the voa.gov.uk website

If you're lucky, you could get all of them upped to Band E too- I'm sure they would appreciate it..

mwrpoole

Sep 10, 2010
Sevenoaks

The band can only be reviewed when the property is next sold, i.e. if you have an extension they can't change it but the next owners might get a nice surprise!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here