Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lynda Bellingham

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
always been a little in love with this lady, now dying with Bowl Cancer and refusing treatment.
a very brave lady

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
Yes, I feel for her too. A very brave women.

An awful disease and one that has touched one of our own in Lord B - who very thankfully is recovering.

Last year, after years of suffering from Ulcerative colitis my 3 yearly check up detected an abnormal large flat polyp - the hardest to remove kind of polyp you can have. The outside of the polyp was a stage away from being cancerous, but they didn't know whether it had turned cancerous deeper inside.

So for 3 weeks I was treated like a cancer patient. To say I was scared witless is an understatement. I was asked to undergo an MRI scan to see if cancer had spread to my liver and lungs - thankfully not. But I had to endure having my colon removed and the wearing of a bag for 6 months. To be told that I was cancer free was the best news I have ever ever had. In October 2014, I had a 2nd operation to provide me with mechanism to go naturally again.......just like I used to. Surgery/medicine is amazing.

So its exactly 1 year ago, that I got over that trauma, and I am now back to my old self - pooing as nature intended. Cant get colon cancer, nor can I have another UC attack. I wish Lynda in particular and Lord B had been as lucky as me in finding out things at an early stage.

Please, Please examine your poo. If it shows signs of bleeding that have lasted more than a few days, then go to see your GP. If your routine is not normal i.e constipation, diarrhea etc that has lasted over a week, see your GP. Do not be embarrassed. It will probably be piles, or an upset stomach, but if in the unlikely chance it is, then the earlier the better. Also, do the poop scoop test if it comes your way in the post.

Worthing exile

May 12, 2009
When I reached 60 I was invited to join the NHS Bowel Cancer screening programme. Not a pleasant thing to do but definately worth it.
If you are eligible but have put it off because of what you have to do, don't be silly. Once you have worked out the system, and done it three times you don't have to do it again for two years.
And as Diffbrook says, just keep an eye on things in the meantime.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne

An awful disease and one that has touched one of our own in Lord B - who very thankfully is recovering.

Last year, after years of suffering from Ulcerative colitis my 3 yearly check up detected an abnormal large flat polyp - the hardest to remove kind of polyp you can have. The outside of the polyp was a stage away from being cancerous, but they didn't know whether it had turned cancerous deeper inside.

So for 3 weeks I was treated like a cancer patient. To say I was scared witless is an understatement. I was asked to undergo an MRI scan to see if cancer had spread to my liver and lungs - thankfully not. But I had to endure having my colon removed and the wearing of a bag for 6 months. To be told that I was cancer free was the best news I have ever ever had. In October 2014, I had a 2nd operation to provide me with mechanism to go naturally again.......just like I used to. Surgery/medicine is amazing.

So its exactly 1 year ago, that I got over that trauma, and I am now back to my old self - pooing as nature intended. Cant get colon cancer, nor can I have another UC attack. I wish Lynda in particular and Lord B had been as lucky as me in finding out things at an early stage.

Please, Please examine your poo. If it shows signs of bleeding that have lasted more than a few days, then go to see your GP. If your routine is not normal i.e constipation, diarrhea etc that has lasted over a week, see your GP. Do not be embarrassed. It will probably be piles, or an upset stomach, but if in the unlikely chance it is, then the earlier the better. Also, do the poop scoop test if it comes your way in the post.

this is great advice
they send me the test kit every year and the letter comes back a few days later with the OK

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
When I reached 60 I was invited to join the NHS Bowel Cancer screening programme. Not a pleasant thing to do but definately worth it.
If you are eligible but have put it off because of what you have to do, don't be silly. Once you have worked out the system, and done it three times you don't have to do it again for two years.

this too
just do it

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
It's a frightening thing to have affect you. I lost my father to Bowel Cancer and as such i'm on a high alert - being 29 I'm not what people would say as being in the range for contracting it, but I never want to take risks. Upmost respect to anyone fighting any form of illness.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge

Just finished putting my second sample on the card. This is my third two year cycle. I have friends who turn their nose up at completing this simple task, saying how unpleasant it is. I think Cancer is a lot more unpleasant.

Worthing exile

May 12, 2009
Just finished putting my second sample on the card. This is my third two year cycle. I have friends who turn their nose up at completing this simple task, saying how unpleasant it is. I think Cancer is a lot more unpleasant.

Admitedly it isn't up there on my want to do list but neither is chemo or dying. Strange how people won't do this test but will clear up after a dog with an old tesco carrier bag over their hand.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012

I did that as well - last year. Didn't hesitate.

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
My father will not do it. I dont think its to do with it being a dirty thing to do, or even unpleasant. I think what stops people from doing it, is that they are scared of a positive result. The chances of it being a positive result are rare. But if it does come back positive, then bowel cancer is curable. But when it gets a hold its a bugger. And please do not take my experience of having my colon removed as an example. I had complications with having Colitis. But even I go naturally.

Admitedly it isn't up there on my want to do list but neither is chemo or dying. Strange how people won't do this test but will clear up after a dog with an old tesco carrier bag over their hand.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
My father will not do it. I dont think its to do with it being a dirty thing to do, or even unpleasant. I think what stops people from doing it, is that they are scared of a positive result. The chances of it being a positive result are rare. But if it does come back positive, then bowel cancer is curable. But when it gets a hold its a bugger. And please do not take my experience of having my colon removed as an example. I had complications with having Colitis. But even I go naturally.

The earlier it is diagnosed, the easier it is to treat and cure.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Speaking as someone currently battling the big C...I have nothing but sympathy for Lynda Bellingham and anyone else who has to contend with it.
There is some very sound advice in earlier posts. Act on it!

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
always been a little in love with this lady, now dying with Bowl Cancer and refusing treatment.
a very brave lady

me too,very attractive lady and from what I've seen of her on the TV very likeable,sad news indeed

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes
Bowel Cancer got my great grandmother, grandmother, and my mum got it at 49 (30 years ago) and survived it, my aunt at 84 currently has it and is going down the Linda Bellingham route of no treatment.

As a consequence the NHS have decided that my brothers and I are of high risk, so we're in the RSCH every 2 years for a colonoscopy.

Can't stress enough, if you've recently had a change in bowel habits/diarrhoea that's been going on for a couple of weeks, blood in your poo (black stools) etc then go see the doc..... Bowel cancer is very much curable if caught early enough.

Everyone's case is different and there's no denying that this is a scary process to get yourself into. But the big message that I can bring to the discussion is that medical advances in the treatment of bowel cancer have been amazing in recent years.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Everyone's case is different and there's no denying that this is a scary process to get yourself into. But the big message that I can bring to the discussion is that medical advances in the treatment of bowel cancer have been amazing in recent years.

Absolutely this. It's been 10 years since I had half my bowel removed but I made my own luck by going to the quacks immediately I spotted blood in my s**t. It was caught quickly enough to avoid it spreading and I didn't require chemo or anything like that. Just the unenviable periodic colonoscopy to keep those polyps under control.
Hope all goes well LB.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here