Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Shops you seem to spend a lot of time in but don't particularly like.....

paul wickens

Wicko1
Dec 23, 2011
Sports Direct: Good for picking up a bargain and for kitting out the kids for their various activities, but bored disinterested teenage staff, poor layout of goods, a large amount of cheap looking tat, and generally a downbeat feel to the place.

SAC

May 21, 2014
Agree with the OP about Sports Direct. Horrible shop but quite useful. Whenever possible I'll order online as their website is actually quite good, although you have to pay P&P.

I rarely go to shops now, thankfully.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Sports Direct: Good for picking up a bargain and for kitting out the kids for their various activities, but bored disinterested teenage staff, poor layout of goods, a large amount of cheap looking tat, and generally a downbeat feel to the place.

Bought some good Karrimor boots there a couple of weeks ago, and was served by Bruno. If he wasn't moonlighting then he has a twin. He even had a Spanish accent.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Bought some good Karrimor boots there a couple of weeks ago, and was served by Bruno. If he wasn't moonlighting then he has a twin. He even had a Spanish accent.

Almost the entire staff of the Brighton one seem to be Spanish.

To be fair they seem far more cheerful and enthused than their English teenage counterparts in the two branches down our way.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010

Was he rushing to the front of the shop to deal with issues but not getting back to his post very quickly? I assume there were also moments of sublime good service interspersed with simple mistakes.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Marks & Spencer at Holmbush. Not really a lot of time, but it's all relative - 10 minutes a month is about 10 minutes too many.

Horribly laid out, big pillars all over the place which mean you can't see where the bit of the store is that you need to be in, and full of people that think they are better than everyone else.

The food 'court' is ok, but that's about it.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Any time spent in pretty much any shop that isn't a record shop, a book shop or a decent men's clothes shop (a la Jump the Gun) is a waste of time.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Spend huge amounts of time in a queue at the Post Office. Hate every minute. It's like Communist era queues in Moscow for a potato. Ditto Amex catering queues.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

I think it was a Sports Direct I was in, on Sunday, to get new trainers for my son and you've nailed it there. A lot of the stuff was very low-quality brands, some of which I had no idea still existed.

The most annoying thing though was, as you suggest, the staff. Getting hold of someone to retrieve the shoe of our choice in a couple of sizes to try on was a major and ridiculously time-consuming effort. The Nike trainers, at £25 for a size 11 4-year old, didn't seem particularly cheap either.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I think it was a Sports Direct I was in, on Sunday, to get new trainers for my son and you've nailed it there. A lot of the stuff was very low-quality brands, some of which I had no idea still existed.

The most annoying thing though was, as you suggest, the staff. Getting hold of someone to retrieve the shoe of our choice in a couple of sizes to try on was a major and ridiculously time-consuming effort. The Nike trainers, at £25 for a size 11 4-year old, didn't seem particularly cheap either.

Did you notice they keep the best stuff about fifteen foot up in the air to deter all but the most determined of pikey shoplifters?

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
IKEA (Cardiff, Bristol, Wednesbury...wherever)......the shop of the Devil.

God forbid there was ever a fire in one of those places, I'd be toast. Even the meatballs have gone downhill. When you've finally reached the checkouts, it doesn't end does it....Ikea family cards, queue's, the food bit, hotdogs aaaarrrrgggghhhhh

Please let me go home.

Last edited:

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
A lot of the stuff was very low-quality brands, some of which I had no idea still existed.

I suspect in a lot of cases, they don't still exist except in Mike Ashley owned stores. Cheap way to get parents to buy stuff based on their own memories of "oh, I had those in school..." by buying a bankrupt brand and slapping it on random Bangladeshi stuff.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here