Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Banker pleads guilty to Libor fraud

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
He will get 6 months hard labour in HMP Barbados open and £250 fine payable over 2 years .

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-29520685

Do we think they'll get more or less than the 6 months someone got for stealing a bottle of water in the London Riots?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukn...s-Lidl-water-thief-jailed-for-six-months.html

Hang on, that was a deterrent punishment in an extreme situation, and hardly the norm:

"District Judge Alan Baldwin said the background of “serious public disorder” was an aggravating feature. Members of Robinson's family in the public gallery gasped with disbelief as the judge told him he would be going to prison.

The judge said: “The burglary of commercial premises in circumstances such as this where substantial and wholesale public disorder has taken place is in effect what is commonly called looting.”"

We cannot have rioting/looting and therefore extreme punishments are required to act as a deterrent, the message being, if rioting kicks off then stay away and you wont risk serious sanction.

Now back to the current case, I hope the merchant banker gets a serious punishment, again to act as a deterrent to others.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Wanker (sorry banker) not named? Bank not named?
Considerably greater protection afforded than (for example) someone charged with grabbing someone's boobs.

Seems to say a great deal about the "establishment"

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
Wanker (sorry banker) not named? Bank not named?
Considerably greater protection afforded than (for example) someone charged with grabbing someone's boobs.

Seems to say a great deal about the "establishment"

He will be and the bank once sentenced

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton

Do we think they'll get more or less than the 6 months someone got for stealing a bottle of water in the London Riots?

How has it affected you?
I presume you've never broken the speed limit or taken anything from a hotel bathroom?

I'd suggest you do some reading about what the Libor rate actually is. As I understand this fruad will have affected many of us with mortgages, credit cards or derivatives.

To compare it to stealing a shower cap is insane. (I don't drive btw)

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
He will be and the bank once sentenced

If i so much as nicked a tea bag from my local corner shop my name would be out there before any trial. Not naming in this case is a decision made by the judge and in the circumstances can only be viewed as "political"

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
I'd suggest you do some reading about what the Libor rate actually is. As I understand this fruad will have affected many of us with mortgages, credit cards or derivatives.

To compare it to stealing a shower cap is insane. (I don't drive btw)

I thought he must have been trying to be ironic (and failing miserably) :thumbsup:

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Hang on, that was a deterrent punishment in an extreme situation, and hardly the norm:

"District Judge Alan Baldwin said the background of “serious public disorder” was an aggravating feature. Members of Robinson's family in the public gallery gasped with disbelief as the judge told him he would be going to prison.

The judge said: “The burglary of commercial premises in circumstances such as this where substantial and wholesale public disorder has taken place is in effect what is commonly called looting.”"

We cannot have rioting/looting and therefore extreme punishments are required to act as a deterrent, the message being, if rioting kicks off then stay away and you wont risk serious sanction.

Now back to the current case, I hope the merchant banker gets a serious punishment, again to act as a deterrent to others.

Get a grip. A young man of previously good character did not deserve to have his life ruined for stealing a bottle of water regardless of the circumstance.

However, I am in agreement with your final sentence. Not convinced it will happen though.

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukn...s-Lidl-water-thief-jailed-for-six-months.html

Now they are lining up the culprits for the fraud, we shouldnt forget those who created and oversaw the regulatory framework in which this kind of crime was allowed to florish.

We already have a mea culpa.............

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2011/sep/26/ed-balls-sorry-labour-failures

Let's not stop justice at the bankers..............

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Now they are lining up the culprits for the fraud, we shouldnt forget those who created and oversaw the regulatory framework in which this kind of crime was allowed to florish.

We already have a mea culpa.............

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2011/sep/26/ed-balls-sorry-labour-failures

Let's not stop justice at the bankers..............

Can we just for once not let this thread descend into 10 pages of meaningless left vs. right claptrap. The vast majority of people in this country have ceased to care whether it's the self serving c*** in blue or the self serving c*** in red who's f****** us in this particular situation. The truth of the matter is they're all f****** us.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
Can we just for once not let this thread descend into 10 pages of meaningless left vs. right claptrap. The vast majority of people in this country have ceased to care whether it's the self serving c*** in blue or the self serving c*** in red who's f****** us in this particular situation. The truth of the matter is they're all f****** us.

:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

Monsieur Le Plonk

Lethargy in motion
Apr 22, 2009
By a lake

Do you know in which direction libor rates were manipulated higher or lower?
Doesn't make it any less of a crime but if his intention was to keep the rate lower then it's possible that you aren't the victim that you are making out.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here