Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Funniest or strangest incident you have seen watching football.

Rogero

Aug 4, 2010
Shoreham
Two occasions spring to mind.
The first many years ago in a low level match in Brighton a work colleague of mine ,who was watching the game, wAs standing next to the goal post and talking to his mate who was in goal. A forward on the other side went round the keeper and kicked it towards the goal, my colleague instinctively ran on to the pitch and kicked it away.
No goal.
Another time my son was playing and it was the next week after Lady Di had died. The othe pitches round us were all gathering round the centre circle for a minutes silence. In my sons game the opposition started walking towards the centre circle. The ref blew his whistle and Fishersgate (my sons team) scored virtually straight from kickoff with the other sides goalie standing near the halfway line. Fishersgate won one nil on the day and won the league by one point with the team they beat that day coming second.

Last edited:

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
I didn't actually see it happen but I heard that someone laid a brick in the away changing rooms at a fairly well known stadium in the Brighton area.

:shit:

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
The ballboy at the Wimbledon game at the Goldstone many years ago, who ran onto the pitch and passed the ball back to our goalie. It stopped a possible attack from the part of the pitch by the chicken run. The goalie stood for a moment shrugging but the ref waved play on.

Big_Unit

Sep 5, 2011
Hove
When I was a kid I used to watch Crawley at their old Town Mead ground, which was about 200 yards from my home. One afternoon (I was thirteen or fourteen years old) there was an old feller in the home end giving dog's abuse to the opposition keeper. He was stood right at the front of the stand, giving the poor goalie loads. Just before half time, the old boy shouted something and his false teeth fell out. They bounced through the net from the back (the boarding at the front of the stand was only about two feet from the pitch), and the tw*t had to ask the goalie for them back. Fair play, the keep left them there for a bit, then lobbed the teeth back at his abuser. Didn't hear much from him for the rest of the afternoon.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
The Keith Cuss back header and Kelvin Morton spring to mind watching Brighton.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Two incidents spring to mind,

1. Post Man city match in league cup, the pitch invasion with Brighton fans all over the pitch and someone on a motorised wheelchair going on
2. Stewards ejecting a person from either G or H block at Withdean and, in trying to eject him pulling off his false leg.

Edit make three with the George Parris goal V Bristol City, cant work out how to link videos into the post.

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
County league div 2 , player sent off , walks to the changing room then returns to abuse linesman .
Linesman puts his flag down and goes toe to toe with the dismissed player . Player doesn't fancy his chances , slinks off red faced while the couple of dozen spectators bust into hysterical laughter .

jgmcdee

Mar 25, 2012
When I was a kid I used to watch Crawley at their old Town Mead ground, which was about 200 yards from my home. One afternoon (I was thirteen or fourteen years old) there was an old feller in the home end giving dog's abuse to the opposition keeper. He was stood right at the front of the stand, giving the poor goalie loads. Just before half time, the old boy shouted something and his false teeth fell out. They bounced through the net from the back (the boarding at the front of the stand was only about two feet from the pitch), and the tw*t had to ask the goalie for them back. Fair play, the keep left them there for a bit, then lobbed the teeth back at his abuser. Didn't hear much from him for the rest of the afternoon.

I think you'll find that goalkeepers swap ends at half time so he would have had difficulty continuing his abuse unless he had a very loud voice.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
1) Kit Napier v Chesterfield....many moons ago....huge scramble in goalmouth, umpteen players having kicks at it...eventually play breaks up....keeper puts ball down, assuming ref has blown for a free-kick....retires to the back of his net to get enough of a run-up...Napier casually runs forward and taps ball into empty net...cue bedlam...keeper racing after ref who has signalled a goal...whole ground laughing...goal stood....BHA win 2-1.
2) Keith Cuss back header into the crowd....well documented.
3) Brooker / Zamora free kick at Reading...home side totally unprepared for quickly taken kick....hilarious...BHA win 2-1.
4) Again many moons ago...there used to be a chap carry this large board, displaying the winning draw numbers, round the edge of the pitch at the Goldstone. One particularly windy day, he was fighting desperately with it all the way round to the East Terrace. A mighty gust then caught him and he and the board disappeared head first over the wall and into the crowd.
5) Circa 1972...big promotion game at Bournemouth ( Bond/Macdougall/Boyer etc ) At top of away terrace was a raised scoreboard box...the man inside kept baiting the BHA fans below...then the crowd started throwing tomatoes at him...getting a bit cocky and confident he was holding court outside the box telling the BHA fans what poor shots they were...tempting fate...the next small red thing hit him straight between the eyes...red mist descended and he ran down the steps and threw himself into the crowd. Big mistake. By the time the police reached him, he had taken a right pasting. Needless to say, there was loud cheering as he was carried out.

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
I think you'll find that goalkeepers swap ends at half time so he would have had difficulty continuing his abuse unless he had a very loud voice.
Unless of course he walked to the other end of the ground and stood behind the other goal..... ever been to a non-league game? :thumbsup:

Nathan

Jan 8, 2010
2003 - Mike Newell as manager of Luton, tackling a brighton player - think it was Jones or Mcphee, and getting himself sent from the dugout.

Paris

Jul 17, 2010
13th district
Another vote for Parris nicking the ball off the Bristol Rovers keeper(1995/96?). I was a youngster sitting in the South stand so had a decent view of it. Denny Mundee made sure from the spot in a 2-0 win.

Mickey Adams getting his old boy out at the Withdean Stadium during the division 3 trophy presentation was another highlight.

Last edited:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
The ballboy at the Wimbledon game at the Goldstone many years ago, who ran onto the pitch and passed the ball back to our goalie. It stopped a possible attack from the part of the pitch by the chicken run. The goalie stood for a moment shrugging but the ref waved play on.

I was a ball-boy that day. The IDIOT you refer to is my younger brother.

Your recollection is a bit adrift. It was the opposition keeper (Dave Beasant). The ball was harmlessly rolling into their half, where they would have retieved it for comfortable possession. He wandered onto the pitch, thinking play had stopped, and kicked it to Beasant, resulting in the game restarting with a contested drop-ball just outside their box.

Beasant went mental at him.

After the game when DB had calmed down, he apologised, and offered him his gloves.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I was a ball-boy that day. The IDIOT you refer to is my younger brother.

Your recollection is a bit adrift. It was the opposition keeper (Dave Beasant). The ball was harmlessly rolling into their half, where they would have retieved it for comfortable possession. He wandered onto the pitch, thinking play had stopped, and kicked it to Beasant, resulting in the game restarting with a contested drop-ball just outside their box.

Beasant went mental at him.

After the game when DB had calmed down, he apologised, and offered him his gloves.
Ha ha ha! Don't recall calling him an IDIOT lol. I rather enjoyed the whole affair, however, I will concede to being somewhat muddled as to it's denouement, so thanks for setting me right. Did your brother get the sack? I'm pretty sure we in the north stand sung 'Sign him up.'

Jan 14, 2008
Windsor ontario
Ha ha ha! Don't recall calling him an IDIOT lol. I rather enjoyed the whole affair, however, I will concede to being somewhat muddled as to it's denouement, so thanks for setting me right. Did your brother get the sack? I'm pretty sure we in the north stand sung 'Sign him up.'

That ballboy was me and NO - I didn't get sacked . The the north stand did sing "sign him up" and "ballboy give us a wave" for a few weeks afterwards and everytime I ran across the pitch at half time

Keith cuss came round and said " don't do it again" ....pretty sure I wasn't going to !!!!!!!

Dave Beasant called me a stupid little c***

Beezer

Feb 27, 2013
Playing Sunday league football on one of the sloping pitches at stanmer park,one of my team mates hitting a long shot and looked all day going in the far corner,team mate raises his arms in celebrating,turns and runs back screaming goal ,for everyone else watch the ball hit a stone and bounce round the post,had to be there.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
The ref blew for full time with Brighton winning.

I kid you not.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here