Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Filming things with mobile phones

Dan Aitch

May 31, 2013
It's been the case for a while that there's a backlash against people filming gigs on mobile phones, if for no other reason that no one else can see the stage with 1500 iphones hoisted aloft. I found myself in a similar situation on Saturday. Every time we got a corner or a free-kick in Watford's half, about five people in my vicinity clicked their 'record' button and hoisted their phone aloft.

On the plus side, the resulting footage can be quite enjoyable (think of the footage of Leo's winner at Forest) but on the other hand... it doesn't half get on my tits. Personally, I'd rather people didn't do it, although I can sort of understand why they do.

Anyone got any strong thoughts?

Maybe it's on a par with the 'stadium wi-fi' argument.

First tee, first shot 2014 Ryder cup, some guy holding what looked like an ipad up over his head obscuring the view of the bloke behind.

If it was me behind the ipad would have gone up the fairway.

Chinman3000

Sep 28, 2011
An unfortunate tale of the times. People are not living in the moment and fully enjoying it themselves so that they can show-off / re-live events later.

People seem to be happy watching a live event through their phone / tablet. If thats the case why bother going?

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
An unfortunate tale of the times. People are not living in the moment and fully enjoying it themselves so that they can show-off / re-live events later.

People seem to be happy watching a live event through their phone / tablet. If thats the case why bother going?

This . Can't lose yourself in the moment if thinking of a phone . They lose out

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
Let them do it. I wouldn't personally (anymore, i have done in the past), but I do enjoy watching videos from the crowd after the match, just to re-live the experience.

easynow

Mar 17, 2013
jakarta
Don't really care about the matches, but it's ridiculous how many people record with their phones at gigs. Just live in the moment ffs.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
It hasn't really affected me, so I don't have strong feelings, but I did notice someone recording a set piece (a penalty I think) with an ipad mini, which looked silly (it looked silly that they were using the ipad mini, not that they were using a silly looking ipad).

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Does anyone ever watch the video afterwards, especially given they are wobbly, out of focus, ill-aimed and the sound is terrible.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I gave up going to Lewes bonfire parade - something the locals would be pleased about 'local event for local people' - as more often than not, I ended up having to watch the proceedings through a small screen as everyone seemed to be arms aloft with a smartphone in their hands.

I don't quite understand the whole concept. Why spend more of your time checking that you are filming the proceedings as opposed to watching it live?

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
I gave up going to Lewes bonfire parade - something the locals would be pleased about 'local event for local people' - as more often than not, I ended up having to watch the proceedings through a small screen as everyone seemed to be arms aloft with a smartphone in their hands.

I don't quite understand the whole concept. Why spend more of your time checking that you are filming the proceedings as opposed to watching it live?

A lot of the time it has to be social media in an attempt to convince everyone of how great and on the edge their life is .

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
You see this is why you need time machines. Take one of these people back the Goldstone North Stand in the 70s or 80s - at least for a big game - but leave everything else as is. The rest of us could take bets on what happened to the phone (and owner) first:

1/2 Thrown on pitch (phone)
6/4 Thrown on pitch (person)
2/1 Pissed on (both pnone and person)
5/1 Fed to the away fans
8/1 Put in the middle of a surge

10/1 bar

Make it an Ipad and I'm going for murder.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
A lot of the time it has to be social media in an attempt to convince everyone of how great and on the edge their life is .

Facebook is all about boasting how great their lives are. You never see the 90% of their shit.

I use Facebook as a communicating tool and self-deprecating humour. Not interested in trying to convince people my life is perfect.

rcf0712

Out Here In The Perimeter
Feb 26, 2009
Perth, Western Australia
It's a Gen Y thing, it's clearly more about being seen to have been there than seeing what's there. I don't get it either, the last Big Day Out I went to a few years ago featured LCD Soundsystem's final show in Australia and more people seemed interested in taking selfie's and photos of each other, let alone the band, than watching a never to be repeated show. I remember when half the ads in the classified section of the NME, back when it was a worthwhile read, were for decent photos taken from the press pit at gigs as other than cutting out bits of magazines that was the only way you could get any, if you wanted some. Rant over.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here