Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

5 Week Trials

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
A mate of mine's kid has just started a 5 week trial, the first session tonight, with BHA and after making sure we all know about it I just wondered if anyone else has had experiences of this and how big a step forward (if any) this is?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Not wishing to be cynical and hopefully things may have improved since the Amex era but from being in charge of a local youth team for nine years I have seen nothing but abject heartache with kids beliefs built up then shattered totally within the BHAFC youth system.

On a more positive note at least it was not abandoned like Crawley did recently.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Not wishing to be cynical and hopefully things may have improved since the Amex era but from being in charge of a local youth team for nine years I have seen nothing but abject heartache with kids beliefs built up then shattered totally within the BHAFC youth system.

On a more positive note at least it was not abandoned like Crawley did recently.

I think you could say that about any clubs youth systems

Commander

NSC Patreon
Apr 28, 2004
London

I don't really understand how any professional football club's youth system could operate any other way.

Ali_rrr

Feb 4, 2011
Utrecht, NL

This quite a lot. Kids are put on 6 month contracts so the club can get rid of them anytime. Know a few people who were in from U8 to U16 then get released.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I don't really understand how any professional football club's youth system could operate any other way.

I don't disagree with you but at such a tender age it can have a profound effect rejection of a dream.

Commander

NSC Patreon
Apr 28, 2004
London
I don't disagree with you but at such a tender age it can have a profound effect rejection of a dream.

Yeah of course, but what's the solution? There's no easy way to dress it up.

Magic City

Mar 29, 2014
This quite a lot. Kids are put on 6 month contracts so the club can get rid of them anytime. Know a few people who were in from U8 to U16 then get released.

At least a few have ended up at clubs! Some even going to clubs with better reputation's of bringing players through! Opinions eh...

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Harsh as it probably is, it is most likely the only way. Maybe it is the expectations and dreams of the parents that are shattered the most and/or maybe it is the parents who don't manager the expectations of their kids very well?

Ali_rrr

Feb 4, 2011
Utrecht, NL
At least a few have ended up at clubs! Some even going to clubs with better reputation's of bringing players through! Opinions eh...

Definitely! One kid from last years U16s is at Aston Villa, and a kid from the year above, is now a scholar at Peterborough. They're just two that I know of!

emphyrian

May 25, 2004
Woodingdean
As others have said its very cut throat. you get offered no info on how the child is performing, they will just write a letter to you telling you that they have been released or given longer. they can get dropped to the lower squad or raised to the elite squad in the blink of an eye. Overall though it is extra training at good/excellent facilities(depends where you get) with excellent coaches, so just enjoy the ride.

My son was meant to be on a 5 week at crawley it lasted around 10 weeks till we both decided it was a non starter,a couple of weeks after walking it got pulled.
We were told not to come one week as the league had an inspection that week:facepalm:
Had a chelsea scout interested when 10 but because of our location it went no further,if you had heard the scout you would think another Messi had been discovered,as parents we tend to be ready to buy into the dream but 5 week trials are more common than you think. But you gotta go for it:thumbsup:

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Two members of my imediate family have both gone through the youth system and gone on further with careers.

It depends how old they are, one of them was 9 and turned the albion down as he wanted to play with his friends, the season after Brighton asked him again and he signed, played right through and loved it, great experience for him and would change it for the world.

As long as his parents keep him level headed it will be a great experiance, however the club do pick up and release players all the time a trial is no real big thing.

Kazenga <3

Test 805843
Feb 28, 2010
Team c/r HQ
I played in a trial game for BHA against Fulham when I was about 13/14. It seemed the whole Fulham team were 6ft 2 and absolutely built. I was probably just over 5ft at the time. Needless to say I completely shat myself, was way out of my depth and was hauled off after about 20 minutes. Completely different level to Sunday football. Definitely well worth getting the most out of it though as the coaching from the club staff was far far superior to any I got playing for my Sunday team, and this was 7 or 8 years ago before all the fancy new facilities.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
I am pretty sure it is 6 weeks and clubs can only ask a child once a season, but I have seen this not adhered to.

I suspect that the new category 1 status and subsequent auditing should limit any bad practice.

In my view the two critical roles here are firstly the parent, ensuring that any proposed trials and association with a professional club doesnt define that youngster, otherwise any rejection will not only effect the family but the 'friends' that will silently celebrate the failure.

Secondly the club need to ensure their scouting is not scatter gun, the pressure on the scouts and recruitment officers not to miss any likely player can if not managed properly suck in players that are always likely to fail, prompting the above scenarios.

If youngsters and their families humbly rejoice and look at being selected for a trial as experiencing a temporary training camp within a world class centre, then irrespective of being signed it might then be seen as a worthwhile experience.

Easier said then done though as the aspirations are raised.

Last edited:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here