Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How many days a year, on average, do you take off work sck?

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
I think I've had two off this year, quite possibly none last year. Can't remember accurate numbers beyond that, but generally around that unless I manage to pick up something properly destructive, like the time I had Gastroenteritis in Uni.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
The year I went contracting and no longer got paid if I didn't go in, my average days off sick a year dropped from about half a dozen to around zero. My left leg fell off one night, but I still managed to hop into work the next morning and invoice.

Gary Leeds

May 5, 2008
none because any days off sick here have to be taken as holiday or you don't get paid anything for the first 3 days until SSP kicks in. So no matter how bad I am feeling I come in and make sure I spread the cold/cough/insert illness here, with the directors who made the rules (who incidentally do get sick pay)

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
The only days I take off seem to be sun related and with reluctance

I should add that over the past five years I've ended up having minor ops due to sun damage on my skin..last one was a melanoma on my calf and I was ordered to take 4 days off or risk the wound opening otherwise being self employed I work on

Last edited:

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
For my evening job - probably one day a year on average. (been there 12 years)

For my day job: I'm self-employed, so I don't get sick days. I either choose to work or I don't.

Greavsey

Jul 4, 2007
One or two at most. But generally just take them as working from home days and re-arrange those conference calls that are less important.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
Almost never had an official day off sick. I tend to 'work from home' if I'm not 100% and since my boss is in the US, it works well :)

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Few. The last day I took off work ill was about 4 years ago when I had really bad food poisoning. I'm very lucky as I rarely get ill; but I do look after myself and eat healthily and keep myself fit which I think plays a big part.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Been here 18 years. I had 2 weeks off in about 1997 in hospital after a heart scare. Apart from that about 10 days total, I reckon.

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
None. I don't earn if I don't work. Very rarely have a day off for anything.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Another WFH if not 100%. One of the most annoying things ever is people turning up in the office with colds etc, in some sort of heroic gesture. Bloke turned up last week and was very quickly disappearing to the lavs with a bug caught from his wife. Back in the next day cos he felt a bit better overnight - Beggars belief.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
I haven't taken any since 2009, although a few years before that I was off for two months in one go.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here