Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

some thoughts on the season so far

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
If you look at the table, then it is definitely not encouraging, as 2 wins from 11 matches is hardly good enough. As with the previous seasons, we do not seem to be able to score goals, Ulloa excepted, and the crowds are starting to diminish, albeit not drastically -yet! The fact that LD is our top scorer would seem to say it all. Injuries are starting to mount, with CMS, SB and now AC joining the list. We have played teams near the bottom of the league, and whilst the league is admittedly quite competitive, we have struggled to beat them.
All this having been said, the last week or so has seen far more grounds for optimism. The two away draws, when we could have won both, mean that we should not be frightened by any opposition away from home and the players are clearly not overawed, which perhaps does give credence to the view that they DO have confidence in their ability. The football would seem to be, by general consensus, more entertaining this year. Against Cardiff, we created many chances and I don't think we will see a goalkeeping display like that again this season -at least, I hope so! We also played very well generally. Against Watford the crosses came over but we seemingly do not have the striking presence to convert chances. It is probably unfair to judge with any real degree of authority SB and COG on what have been comparatively few appearances, and it is quite possible that the goals will come, though this is clearly open to debate.
We hear a lot about adapting to a new system, and whilst I would not presume to comment knowledgeably on systems, the team has been together for weeks and trains regularly, so this reason/excuse can only go on for so long. It could already be wearing a bit thin.
All is not lost, however, and the games coming up are winnable, after the last three heartening performances, but at some stage I would want to hear that the players are comfortable with the system, we can score goals, and that the ability of the team, which is there to see, will mean 3 points rather than 1.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here