Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Are we a small club?

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
I run a market stall on Saturdays and had the pleasure of meeting an Australian fella yesterday who was wearing a Brighton shirt. I asked him what brought him to supporting us and he said when he moved over here he was quickly disillusioned with the big money bullshit around big clubs and so decided to support a "small club". He had a good knowledge of the recent Brighton past and had been to a few games.

I thought it was quite nice that we were attracting football-supporting people from abroad although did like him calling us a small club as I actually kind of consider us now a pretty big club on the cusp of the big money bullshit stuff he mentioned. I'm quite happy where we are now as a championship regular. Are we actually a small team? Does it matter if we are or not? What should our ambition be and what is the right balance between success for the fans and keeping that authenticity as a club that truly represents its fans?

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
If the 92 clubs position was a chart,we would be about 43rd on the list overall,make of that what you will.imvho

or in old english marginally above average.

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
How big is big, how small is small?

Had a good chat in Watford yesterday with some Americans from good old Wisconsin over for a week supporting BHA and some Germans over from Munich mostly supporting Watford but a few supporting us.

All adds to the mix.

Dan Aitch

May 31, 2013
I'm going to say yes - we are a small club. Now I'm going to ask "Is there anything wrong with being a small club?". I don't think there is. Size isn't everything.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Relative to he football clubs that most foreigners will be aware of - Man Utd, Liverpool, Chelsea Arsenal etc. - we are a small club. In the grander scheme of the 92 league clubs, we're medium-large.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
We're not a small club, but we're not as big as some of our fans think we are.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Perceptions . If all fans of all clubs documented their perceptions I reckon we would be where our history has been . 3rd div (near top though ) . 10 more years at this level would probably change things

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
We are Brighton , we meander through divisions and time with little or no impact on the footballing world , Bloody Smiths fault .

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
We're never going to be a Man United, but we have aspirations of reaching a West Brom!

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
We might just break into the top 30 English clubs based on the last 3 years. But compared to the 100's of millions that the top 10 all generate each year we're pretty small

Steve.S

May 11, 2012
Hastings
Surely it depends what you measure it against. 1 Ground? Top 25. 2 success, medium to small ( if you are comparing it against playing years in the 1st/ premier league, FA cups, league cups and playing in Europe). 3 Money? Medium, which is where it will hurt us,as I feel that there are at least 30 to 35 clubs above us. Which will make it difficult to get into the premiership,although not impossible with some good fortune.

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
II would determine clubs history and support as to wether they're a big club or not, regardless of what league they're in.
So I'd put forest, Leeds, in the big club category, I would pitch us alongside the likes of Bristol City, Derby etc

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Interesting to see a high level of consensus here. I'd go along with us being about 43rd out of the 92 clubs, with our stature based on a combination of footballing success and fan base.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
II would determine clubs history and support as to wether they're a big club or not, regardless of what league they're in.
So I'd put forest, Leeds, in the big club category, I would pitch us alongside the likes of Bristol City, Derby etc
Quiet a big gulf between Bristol City and Derby ???
We're a medium sized club although unlike many clubs who get big crowds in our division we haven't had the finances or stadia to compete,but now we do.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
If we were "big" we would have played first division/premier league football more frequently than just one short rather unsuccessful spell - and won at least one cup.

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
In relative to the premier league (which is what most of the media shows to the public), Brighton are a smaller club.

Relative to the WHOLE of England (if you think about it), we are an absolutely massive club. Most of the FL are big/massive clubs relatively speaking compared to the whole of England. It's something like 24 tiers downwards, and we are in the top two.

I mean I don't say "We're a massive club", because that's a trait shared with Billy Big B*******. But in terms of all the thousands of clubs in England we are a pretty decent sized club.

Last edited:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here