Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Jules Bianchi

oh sami sami

Sep 2, 2014
He suffered a terrible crash at today's f1 race in Japan in the wet. His car hit the JCB (recovery viechal and was taken to hospital by ambulance due to the helicopter couldn't fly. My thoughts and prayers are with him at this moment.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Awful news, hoping this does not become even worse news.

Race organisers will be hoping the same. Conditions were pretty dreadful when Sutil crashed. Same conditions plus a crane on the track surely needed a red flag rather than a yellow?

Max Paper

Sunshiinnnnneeee
Nov 3, 2009
Testicles
Apparently Sutil aquaplaned and the following lap Bianchi did exactly the same but this time there was the recovery truck which he apparently went under front wing/head first according to a race steward.

Hyperion

Nov 1, 2010
Race organisers will be hoping the same. Conditions were pretty dreadful when Sutil crashed. Same conditions plus a crane on the track surely needed a red flag rather than a yellow?

Indeed. Not only that, with the weather so bad, there was no available Air Ambulance. The nearest big hospital is 40 mins away. So questions will need to be asked as to why the race went ahead in the first place

Update: It seems now he was taken to hospital by Road Ambulance for medical reasons not because Helicopter could not take him.

Last edited:

Max Paper

Sunshiinnnnneeee
Nov 3, 2009
Testicles
Indeed. Not only that, with the weather so bad, there was no available Air Ambulance. The nearest big hospital is 40 mins away. So questions will need to be asked as to why the race went ahead in the first place

Wasn't he decision to take him by road due to the bad weather? I might be wrong.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
We're the BBC TV crew actually there? They seemed incredibly out of touch with what was happening throughout.
Think there will have to be a safety review after trying to remove Sutil's car under a yellow flag in those conditions.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
We're the BBC TV crew actually there? They seemed incredibly out of touch with what was happening throughout.
Think there will have to be a safety review after trying to remove Sutil's car under a yellow flag in those conditions.

I thought I was imagining it...but didn't the commentator identify the wrong guy injured in the crash, and then the wrong guy finishing third all in about a minute?

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
pretty sure this nearly happened a few years ago,again at Suzuka,involing Martin Brundle who narrowly missed a recovery vehicle in similiar circumstances

you'd think they learn from such instances,but as usual someone has to get hurt before any changes are made

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I thought I was imagining it...but didn't the commentator identify the wrong guy injured in the crash, and then the wrong guy finishing third all in about a minute?

Seemed to miss the Bianchi crash completely I think although it was up on the board at the track. Then got confused over third/fourth AND eight/ninth. Made ITV look good.

Max Paper

Sunshiinnnnneeee
Nov 3, 2009
Testicles

I think after the safety car came out Vettel went into the pits from 3rd and came out behind Ricciado who took his position. Then the race was red flagged and the decision was made to award the points to drivers who were in certain positions before the safety car came out so Vettel got the podium spot ahead of his team mate.

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
The race organisers were asked to start the race at 11am local time to avoid the worst of the rain. They refused, and stuck with a 3pm start time. Seems clear that this decision, whatever the reasoning behind it, put the drivers in greater danger and contributed to the causes of what is looking like a serious incident.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
I think after the safety car came out Vettel went into the pits from 3rd and came out behind Ricciado who took his position. Then the race was red flagged and the decision was made to award the points to drivers who were in certain positions before the safety car came out so Vettel got the podium spot ahead of his team mate.

Very nearly. The final positions were taken from the completed lap before the red flag. Vettel pitted that lap from 3rd.

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
Official statement-

bd131cb5ccacec17d822f945c7c5a1eb.jpg

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
F1 (indeed all Motorsport) is inherently dangerous. The fact that there hasn't been a fatality since Senna is testament to the radically improved safety measures and trackside medical facilities that have been progressively introduced since the tragedy at Imola. Let us all hope that Senna remains the latest fatality - Get well soon, Jules.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Apparently Spanish TV have footage of the crash but it isn't being shown elsewhere because it is so bad. Bianchi went under the tractor being used to pick up Sutil's car and because of the large wheels on it, his head hit the bodywork as the car passed under it.

Murussia test driver Maria De Villota had a similar crash last year, colliding with a support truck which transported the car to the track and she lost an eye before eventually succumbing to her injuries
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cambridgeshire-18685789
http://www.itv.com/news/story/2013-...river-maria-de-villota-found-dead-in-seville/

Hoping he can make a full recover, get well soon Jules

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here