Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Saddlescombe Road accident Saturday late afternoon

Henfield One

Aug 5, 2003
A serious accident completely blocked the Saddlescombe Road yesterday around 5pm. My deepest sympathies to those involved.

Going over the Dyke into Brighton from Henfield, we were diverted via The Dyke Golf Club (Devils Dyke Road) and then rejoined Saddlescombe Road several hundred yards from the main roundabout off the A27. Absolutely fine, all very efficiently organised.

However, there was no road diversion for traffic coming the other way - which (given there is no alternative route to avoid the blockage, once you have past the SR/DDR road) seemed odd.

Returning at 8pm, with no diversion signs routing us along Devils Dyke Road, we continued along Saddlescombe Road for around a mile. As we got to near the brow, the road remains closed - so our only alternative is to do a U turn and go all the way back. A minor inconvenience of course, in comparison to the awful accident.

After detouring and arriving at the other side of the accident, I asked a WPC, could you not close the road in the other direction at the DDR/SR junction about a mile further back? Her reply..... "I'm not from here, I have no idea where you mean" "We have resource issues" "We don't have enough officers, but I'll alert traffic" - this some 3 hours after the incident with clearly many vehicles doing U turns aplenty - all totally unnecessarily if a simple (unmanned) road block had been put up at the DDR/SR junction).

Anyway, rant over - I do hope that the accident black spot has not claimed more victims.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here