Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Watch an expert explode the myths about Islam! - Essential viewing for many on here.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Thank you.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
**** me i hope thats not an expert ....swiss cheese chancer sprigs to mind

He is a religious scholar who has a fair few useful facts at his fingertips. Someone who comes across as balanced and knowledgeable about his subject matter and a far cry from most of the hysteria that is currently surrounding the Muslim debate at present.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
My GF is an Uzbek muslim. She and her female relations, and friends are so far away from the chador cloaked image thats presented, its unreal. On the other side of the coin, Bin Ladens personal protection unit were all Uzbeks. The difference between militant Islamists and Islam is enormous, but theres people out there, and on NSC that would prefer to present them as the same. No idea why.

Last edited:

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
My GF is an Uzbek muslim. She is so far away from the chador cloaked image thats presented, its unreal. On the other side of the coin, Bin Ladens personal protection unit were all Uzbeks. The difference between militant Islam and Islam is enormous, but theres people out there, and on NSC that would prefer to present them as the same. No idea why.

Absolutely right. I've visited the world's most populous Muslim nation twice in the last 18 months and only met wonderful people, including my brother's Muslim partner. As an infidel by profession, I would happily go back.

The strange thing is, those intolerant bigots who want to paint all Muslims as extremists would probably be the extremists themselves if their circumstances were different.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Yeah...I just edited it a bit, to go on to say that its not just her, but her family, her friends... my friends include plenty of African muslims...I work under a sunni muslim boss, and one of my closest colleagues is the a Shi-ite, and daughter of an Iranian ambassador currently in Europe. She and her sister are also very far from the usual image.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Have never watched CNN - is that the general standard of presenter/questioner? I know that they are just asking questions that the producer is telling them to ask, but to sit there with shocked looks on their faces having heard his answers is a tad worrying. Good clip though.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Have never watched CNN - is that the general standard of presenter/questioner? I know that they are just asking questions that the producer is telling them to ask, but to sit there with shocked looks on their faces having heard his answers is a tad worrying. Good clip though.

Well have a look at their follow up to it, apparently his tone is an example of why people are fearful of Islam

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/10/03/chris-cuomo-reza-aslan-tone-muslims_n_5928464.html

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
Surely people are able to realise that Islamic extremists are in No way a true representation of Islam and the Muslim faith?

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
What I would like to know is (as I understand it...could be wrong) is that the Islamist extremists are using their faith as the vehicle for acting the way they do.
However I understood that Islam is not a violent faith at all according to it's teachings?

So my (genuine) question is, how do the extremists justify the level of violence if it's not a true representation of the faith they claim to follow? I don't get it, maybe someone who knows can explain it to me!

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
What I would like to know is (as I understand it...could be wrong) is that the Islamist extremists are using their faith as the vehicle for acting the way they do.
However I understood that Islam is not a violent faith at all according to it's teachings?

So my (genuine) question is, how do the extremists justify the level of violence if it's not a true representation of the faith they claim to follow? I don't get it, maybe someone who knows can explain it to me!
The words of the Koran are as easy to twist as the words in the bible. For centuries people have been taking and distorting these religious texts for their own ends.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Well at least they seem to have grasped the idea that they should not generalise, so that is something.
An important lesson for a news provider to learn. Bet they forget it soon though.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham

Because they choose to interpret a religion to meet their own ends, in the same way that some portions of the South African Christian church used the bible to justify apartheid. No faith has a strict set of rules and they are open to interpretation to justify any person or groups own agenda.

D

Deleted member 22389

There are muslim countries and there are christain countries and it should be kept that way. When two main religions try to work with each other especially when one seems to be very political, I really cannot see how it is going to work. Just my opinion through my own experience.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
The dumb blonde in that clip re-enforces my belief that a majority of Americans are as thick as pig sh*t.

Or would that be as a stupid a generalisation as her "Muslim countries" generaisations ?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here