Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Alternative to Bombing the crap out of Iraq and Syria?

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Makes sense to me, especially the last bit where George explains his idea for tackling the ISIS problem.

Must say the video of him to 'little green bag' is a bit cringeworthy, wtf were they thinking?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
hollow words from Galloway the invisable Parlimentarian as always: the Kurds are being supported, the Iraqi's are being armed and trained, the Saudi's and other neighbours are being asked to pull their weight. the fact is you wont see them putting their soldiers on the ground either because Iraq wouldnt allow it, even if good enough which they probably arent.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
hollow words from Galloway the invisable Parlimentarian as always: the Kurds are being supported, the Iraqi's are being armed and trained, the Saudi's and other neighbours are being asked to pull their weight. the fact is you wont see them putting their soldiers on the ground either because Iraq wouldnt allow it, even if good enough which they probably arent.

What are the weapons that have been paid for but not delivered that he refers to? Any ideas?

I think the point he is making that that we should be enabling those neighbouring countries to fight this fight as the West's involvement will once again enflame the situation and give the extremists what they are looking for. A powerful recruitment drive.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
my point is Galloway is full of crap. we are enabling them, they are taking part. what he's suggesting is that countries that dislike each other allow others military forces into their country? yeah, thats going to happen. even if they could, what's usually overlooked is the logistics and command and control needed, which most countries dont have. pretty much only US, UK and France have the ability to project long range offensive military power.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
my point is Galloway is full of crap. we are enabling them, they are taking part. what he's suggesting is that countries that dislike each other allow others military forces into their country? yeah, thats going to happen. even if they could, what's usually overlooked is the logistics and command and control needed, which most countries dont have. pretty much only US, UK and France have the ability to project long range offensive military power.

But his point is that the US, UK and France are doing ISIS an enormous favour in terms of recruitment by bombing. I think he is also suggesting that feet on the ground is far more preferable to long range military action and indiscriminate bombing.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
I would drop leaflets letting them know how the world feels about them and warning any one who backs The terrorist they are as just as responsible for the Murders rapping and it's not in the name religion.
Now the time for the rest of the world to stand together including China and Russia I wish.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
But his point is that the US, UK and France are doing ISIS an enormous favour in terms of recruitment by bombing. I think he is also suggesting that feet on the ground is far more preferable to long range military action and indiscriminate bombing.
I believe the bombing has probable saved more civilians from beheading rape and shot in the back of head and tortured.
However as the terrorist hide amongst the Civilians it will become harder to hit them.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I would drop leaflets letting them know how the world feels about them and warning any one who backs The terrorist they are as just as responsible for the Murders rapping and it's not in the name religion.
Now the time for the rest of the world to stand together including China and Russia I wish.
Nice idea but I don't think leaflets will help in this situation.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

I'm still trying to decide if you are being facetious or not!

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I believe the bombing has probable saved more civilians from beheading rape and shot in the back of head and tortured.
However as the terrorist hide amongst the Civilians it will become harder to hit them.
What are your beliefs based on?

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
The alternative is simple...Don't bomb them and don't get involved in a pointless war that can't be won.If we destroy IS then a new group will form and so on,bloody pointless war based upon the oil reserves and nothing else.

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
It's so blindingly obvious that we need to support Assad in restoring peace in Syria that it's painful.

I agree with you,I thought this from day 1,the nievety and blindness of our politicians,espcially william hague was embarrassing

bWize

Nov 6, 2007
It's so blindingly obvious that we need to support Assad in restoring peace in Syria that it's painful.

I'm still trying to get my head around the fact that 12 months ago we were intent on bombing the crap out of Assad and Syria whilst helping arm the rebels, then all of a sudden ISIS pop onto the scene and is a complete reversal. It appears NATO are intent of taking control of Syria one way or another.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
I'm still trying to get my head around the fact that 12 months ago we were intent on bombing the crap out of Assad and Syria whilst helping arm the rebels, then all of a sudden ISIS pop onto the scene and is a complete reversal. It appears NATO are intent of taking control of Syria one way or another.

That's far too simplistic a view.

We were trying to help the FSA, not IS

bWize

Nov 6, 2007
THAT's a far too simplistic view.

Factions of the FSA were beheading people, massacring families, flying the Jihadist flags, etc.

It would be perfectly reasonable to assume that many fighters of the FSA are now fighting for the IS.

Exactly. Many also went to Al-Queida

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/middleeast/2013/09/2013920164342453621.html

"The Reuters news agency, citing sources inside Syria, also reported that entire units of the FSA had joined Nusra and the ISIS in recent days."

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
THAT's a far too simplistic view.

Factions of the FSA were beheading people, massacring families, flying the Jihadist flags, etc.

It would be perfectly reasonable to assume that many fighters of the FSA are now fighting for the IS.

It would also be reasonable to assume that many FSA fighters are fighting against IS, al-Qaeda and Assad.

We should stop arming rebels completely for the simple reason that you cannot control who they are used against.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
We should stop arming rebels completely for the simple reason that you cannot control who they are used against.

exactly the reason we stayed out of it in the first place and even US was very reluctant to (though they did eventually give way to the hawks and arms some groups). this is also why air strikes are the best and only sensible method as it has an affect without much negative impact. supporting Assad would be to go against the large majority of the nation that oppose him, causing a larger problem long term.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
exactly the reason we stayed out of it in the first place and even US was very reluctant to (though they did eventually give way to the hawks and arms some groups). this is also why air strikes are the best and only sensible method as it has an affect without much negative impact. supporting Assad would be to go against the large majority of the nation that oppose him, causing a larger problem long term.

"The Islamic State terrorist known as Jihadi John has been tracked by drones flying over the Syrian city of Raqqa – but British Special Forces chiefs fear a ‘kill or capture’ mission there would end in bloody failure, sources disclosed last night.
Reaper drones deployed high above the terrorists’ strongholds are also believed to have identified hostages wearing orange jumpsuits but top brass are thought to have currently ruled out a rescue operation because IS defences are too strong.
Special Forces bosses have advised the Ministry of Defence that a sustained bombing campaign lasting several weeks would be preferable.
A source said: ‘The imagery from the drones and satellites is instructive but IS infrastructure in Raqqa would have to be targeted over a sustained period to make any sort of raid a realistic possibility.
‘On the basis of our current advice there is very little chance of the Prime Minister signing off a rescue bid. The prospect of success has got to be 100 per cent or thereabouts, and at the moment it is nowhere near that. And for now there are not many other options on the table.
‘While sightings of Jihadi John are useful, as was establishing his identity, we are still a long way off getting a hit on him. Right now a raid would be suicidal.’
Drones expert Mike Gething, editor of Jane’s Electro-Optic Systems, confirmed that a Reaper could pick out hostages’ jumpsuits ‘providing it knew where to look and its line of sight was not obscured’.
He added that if terrorists looked directly into the sky they could be identified."

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here