Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Jose Mourinho - No racism in football

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
It really is an oddity that there are so few black managers and coaches in the game. Makes me wonder if its a vicious circle - maybe black players who retire see that they are almost never given the opportunities to coach or manage at a professional level, and so don't bother doing their badges when they hang their boots up ?

That would be very defeatist, but probably understandable given that the opportunities seem so limited.

northernseagull

Mar 12, 2013
Was it Samba in Russia last week that got a 2 match ban for giving the finger at away fans for racist taunts?! That was pretty much the most damning judgement you could give anyone that was racially abused.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
It really is an oddity that there are so few black managers and coaches in the game. Makes me wonder if its a vicious circle - maybe black players who retire see that they are almost never given the opportunities to coach or manage at a professional level, and so don't bother doing their badges when they hang their boots up ?

That would be very defeatist, but probably understandable given that the opportunities seem so limited.

How many black owners are there? I think that might have something to do with it.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Not the case though - the FA released the figures this week - "18% on FA coaching courses are 'black or other ethnic minorities'" and "14 of the 192 UEFA Pro-license holders"

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/29442933

How many black owners are there? I think that might have something to do with it.

There are few (no?) black owners of clubs in England, but plenty from other non-white groups - Man City, Hull, Fulham, etc, etc

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Not the case though - the FA released the figures this week - "18% on FA coaching courses are 'black or other ethnic minorities'" and "14 of the 192 UEFA Pro-license holders"

So there's undoubtedly a case to answer as to why such a tiny percentage end up getting jobs at football clubs. I can see no reason why that Rooney Rule shouldn't be brought in immediately to help try to address this. It doesn't mean it'd solve the issue, but at least it'd be a start to giving black / minority players a foot in the door to present themselves for the job.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
So there's undoubtedly a case to answer as to why such a tiny percentage end up getting jobs at football clubs. I can see no reason why that Rooney Rule shouldn't be brought in immediately to help try to address this. It doesn't mean it'd solve the issue, but at least it'd be a start to giving black / minority players a foot in the door to present themselves for the job.

Do you actually know what percentage end up getting jobs at football clubs, then? (I have no idea).

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Do you actually know what percentage end up getting jobs at football clubs, then? (I have no idea).

Nope. Can only go by what we know currently, in that right now there is only Chris Powell and Keith Curle managing in the League (so thats about 2%). Dunno about coaching staff mind, but the lack of managers does point to there undeniably being an issue.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Just read this article on the BBC http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/29478599

Quite baffling really... Racism in football is more apparent than ever in certain areas of the world and even in the UK. For one of the worlds most acclaimed footballing icons to say this is just staggering. :facepalm:

Mourinho is a bit of a knob really. I find his ever-so-world-weary schtick in interviews more than a bit of a crap act.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Nope. Can only go by what we know currently, in that right now there is only Chris Powell and Keith Curle managing in the League (so thats about 2%). Dunno about coaching staff mind, but the lack of managers does point to there undeniably being an issue.

2 managing, yes. But the courses are not to immediately become a manager. They are coaching courses. There are hundreds of coaching jobs at clubs - thousands, actually. I'd guess that across all age-groups / levels, a club like the Albion employs a minimum of 30-40.

I honestly believe that the very best people, once in the system, will rise to the top jobs, regardless. That obviously has not historically been the case, but in this country at least, I'd like to think so now.

Arrid

Jul 26, 2004
I refuse to believe that 97% to 98% of football owning chairman are racist and won't appoint a black manager.

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
He was talking about the appointment of coaches, not any other aspect. Can you really imagine a club's owners turning down an outstanding candidate because of his skin or ethnicity? I don't think so.

It would be interesting to compare with athletics , that also has a high % of black participants . Do they have a higher number of similar coaches? I don't know....

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
I utterly despise the man but you should be appointed on merit, not the colour of your skin.

However, to say there is no racism in football is absurd. He may not be as half as clever as he likes to think he his but he's no fool, why then does he reject the notion of discrimination in the sport?

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
At no point in that story is he quoted as saying "There is no racism in football". Sensationalist headline.

Beach Seagull

Jan 2, 2010
From my own experience of watching football there is hardly any rascism in football. I cannot recall one instance of rascism at a football match I've atteneded in the last 25 years. When there is a rascist incident in football it tends to make the news because they are so few and far between. A couple of seasons ago a Sunderland fan was caught on camera making a 'monkey' gesture and this was treated in a sensational 'proof that rascism in football still exists' way rather than a more realistic 'one idiot in the crowd' way. Whenever I (frequently) watch live football on Sky and BT I never hear any rascist chanting / abuse (agree that watching on TV is not the same as actually attending the match in terms of hearing everything).

Amazing how when David Beckham was in his pomp the lack of fuss there was over the vile abuse he had to suffer about his wife and children, where were the PC brigade then?

As for black managers. Plenty of black managers have been given high profile jobs: Ruud Gullit, John Barnes, Chris Hughton, Paul Ince, Jean Tigana, Frank Rijkaard. In fact Paul Ince has managed 5% of clubs in the football league (Macclesfield, MK Dons, Blackburn, Notts County and Blackpool). The same Paul Ince who this week jumped on the 'lack of black managers' bandwagon who wouldn't even meet up with Dick Knight when he expressed an interest in speaking to him when we were looking to replace Mickey Adams.

We hear the stats trotted out 'only 2 out of 92' from '5 out of 92' last season but could for example Chris Hughton say he did a good job last season at Norwich or Edgar Davids at Barnet. Instead of hiding behind skin colour look at results. If Chris Powell had got Charlton challenging for promo all last season would they have sacked him? Would Norwich have sacked CH if they were 10th-11th in April last season?

The usual suspects like Jason Roberts and Garth Crooks bleat on about it, but have they done their coaching badges? Garth Crooks I can imagine has made a very tidy living for himself from the comfort of the studio over the last few years now and no doubt Jason Roberts 'work' in the 'rascism in football' industry pays above the minimum wage. If they are that passionate about it why dont they do their badges??

As for the Rooney rule why should chairman have to grant someone an interview just to keep the PC brigade happy. Clubs should be allowed to interview / appoint whoever they like regardless of skin colour.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here