Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ed Bassford / Lord Bracknell - doing well

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I've been given permission to post the following, as - while Lord Bracknell is happy for people to know how he is and what happened - his telling and re-telling the story could get quite onerous for him...

As many know, Ed was diagnosed with bowel cancer (David Bowelotti, as he named it) about 18 months ago. He had treatment, and was given an apparent all-clear. However, it was a pretty aggressive form of cancer and came back with a vengeance, which required a curative, and ultimately life-saving operation. It was 10 hours of 'pelivc clearance', the most rigorous operation your body can take and survive, and involved the removal of a fair bit of internal plumbing. I'll leave the details out for now. It was a successful operation, and has meant, without getting too scatalogical, Ed now has two bags for... well, you know what they're for.

Anyway, I went out to Firle last night to visit his Lordship, and I'm delighted to say he is looking quite chipper, and back to his grumbling best. He has had the cancer excised, and his next regime is to put on some weight and regain his strength. He is hoping to be back at the Amex before Christmas (maybe sooner), and out and about soonest.

One effect of the original treatment was to play havoc with his extremities (fingers and toes), so walking and holding things are proving a bit more of a challenge than they should but, while of course there's still ongoing treatment and check-ups to be had, we should be seeing Ed gingerly on his feet in the not-too-distant future.

From my own point of view, not knowing exactly what to expect what I went over there, seeing him looking so perky and positive has cheered me up no end.

Good news.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
That's great news. As someone who lost their father to bowel cancer, it's heartening to see someone give the kick in the nuts the illness deserves. All the best Lord B.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Thanks for the update.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Excellent News - Should just time his return for our meteoric rise up the table :thumbsup:

Since1982

Sep 30, 2006
Burgess Hill
Great news and welcome to another member of the "NSC Bag Man club" There are a few of us who have, or have had, the same kit. Get well soon!

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
God bless the great man, splendid news

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Brilliant news. Thanks for the update, TLO.

All the best, LB, here's hoping for a speedy recovery.

Excellent news.

Every time I hear the words Cancer I fear the worst, nobody in my family has ever survived, so to hear somebody has battled with and beaten the biggest b'stard I can think of pleases me no end.

All the best Lord B.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Get well Lord B - the Albion need you !

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
He did also say how much he appreciated the kind wishes and support he's had from family and friends - especially via NSC - and what it has meant to him. It has been quite a tonic that has given him a real fillip.

Never heard the old bugger sound so sentimental...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here