Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

John Oliver talks drones. Obama- WTF?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The best show on tv currently.
Yeah t'is good.

I do think JO needs to reign in his inherent silliness just a little bit, esp the last skit.
It feels like he's a toddler on a half hour sugar rush just grabbing at one more increasingly stupid thing before crashing for 15 hours.
Perhaps Andy Zaltzman has had too much influence over him :lol:

The little 30 secs soundbites of news anchors are genius.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
John Oliver is on top form pretty much every week

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Isn't it weird that comedy shows now seem to provide more detailed analysis than "news" shows? John Oliver and Jon Stewart are way more incisive than most of the offerings we see from the actual news networks.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
The John Oliver show is brilliant. I've only seen the last five or so, i'm annoyed I've missed so many already

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
John Oliver is on top form pretty much every week
But that's at the detriment of The Bugle, which is unforgivable.

Isn't it weird that comedy shows now seem to provide more detailed analysis than "news" shows? John Oliver and Jon Stewart are way more incisive than most of the offerings we see from the actual news networks.
They are both excellent, and incredible good at questioning the 'norm'.

They both appeal as they come across as the 'little guys' slightly left of centre (virtually communists!!) against a big bad capitalist regime.
That does give them an agenda, and make it easy to sound like the voice of reason, to our ears.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
If you missed it at the time.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
Yeah t'is good.

I do think JO needs to reign in his inherent silliness just a little bit, esp the last skit.
It feels like he's a toddler on a half hour sugar rush just grabbing at one more increasingly stupid thing before crashing for 15 hours.
Perhaps Andy Zaltzman has had too much influence over him :lol:

The little 30 secs soundbites of news anchors are genius.

I like the show an yes you are right, he sounds like he's had too many haribo and chocolate milk. Then again, to keep the attention of the American viewer, you need a punchline, gag or some shouting every 3 seconds to keep them engaged.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I like the show an yes you are right, he sounds like he's had too many haribo and chocolate milk. Then again, to keep the attention of the American viewer, you need a punchline, gag or some shouting every 3 seconds to keep them engaged.
One other thing, and most definitely my last annoyance, is he swears too much.

I don't care about bad language but it feels like JO swears because he can, instead of just when he should.

When surround by jaw dropping WTF stories, there's no need to swear during the 'lighter' reports.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here