Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Aldi-v-The Big Four.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Aldi & Lidl, the best thing to have happened in retail in this country for years. The likes of Tesco and Sainsburys are crumbling and will soon have no choice but to severly reduce their prices and about time too they have ripped off the public for far to long.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
Aldi & Lidl, the best thing to have happened in retail in this country for years. The likes of Tesco and Sainsburys are crumbling and will soon have no choice but to severly reduce their prices and about time too they have ripped off the public for far to long.

Not for long if UKIP have their way!

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
Aldi fresh meat and fish is good quality at a really low price. Plenty of other dry goods are equally as good as what you would get at the established chains at much cheaper price. I do find their fruit and veg quality hit and miss though. I also avoid their processed goods although thats mainly because I am diabetic. In the past I've found some of their 'cheaper processed brands' pretty gross.

Hyperion

Nov 1, 2010
Aldi & Lidl are okay but it's all a bit meh.

They are bloody tiny in terms of store size and stock.

Half of the products that are cheap because they taste cheap. Let's face facts, as soon as the economy is booming again the customers will disappear as quick as you can say Bratwurst BBQ.

It serves a purpose to a percentage of the nation, but the Giants will remain Giants through sheer clout

Spider

Sep 15, 2007

Think it's all a bit emperors new clothes. No one seems to have noticed that Tesco have done a massive price reduction across their fresh range (eg. 4 pints milk £1, butter £1, 4 chicken breasts £4 etc.). At these prices they're no much more than Aldi and certainly not Lidl. Also, people seem to forget that a lot of the Aldk/Lidl stuff is the equivalent of big store 'value' ranges - it's just that because they don't have their own value range, and it's in packaging that imitates premium brands, people don't seem to notice. Added to the fact that both stores have little choice and fairly crap operations (Lidl near marina is practically empty by evening) and I'm not sure why everyone is getting so excited about it.

We shop around a lot - there are different bargains to be had in all stores, I just find that the discount supermarket thing seems to prove that we all call for supermarket branding tricks. Package and brand food and people will accept what we're told.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
The secret to Aldi & Lidl is that after a few visits you know what to buy and what not to buy. Sugar is sugar, milk is milk etc.
But I have also found a lot of stuff that is great and far cheaper for example Aldi free range eggs are absolutely delicious, the frozen battered Haddock is great too. True there is some awful stuff but i can get all this and top up at another supermarket and still have money for some luxuries and my weekly bill is the same as 5 years ago thanks to Aldi and Lidl.
Oh and BTW if you have a Farmfoods nearby frozen raw king prawns, seafood cocktail, Calamari and Mussel meat £10 for 3 bags mix and match, a bargain and delicious.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Aldi own brand nappies are around 50% price of pampers, and don't leak (compared to Sainsburys own brand which have nearly always leaked on the occasions we have needed to purchase them.)

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Think it's all a bit emperors new clothes. No one seems to have noticed that Tesco have done a massive price reduction across their fresh range (eg. 4 pints milk £1, butter £1, 4 chicken breasts £4 etc.). At these prices they're no much more than Aldi and certainly not Lidl. Also, people seem to forget that a lot of the Aldk/Lidl stuff is the equivalent of big store 'value' ranges - it's just that because they don't have their own value range, and it's in packaging that imitates premium brands, people don't seem to notice. Added to the fact that both stores have little choice and fairly crap operations (Lidl near marina is practically empty by evening) and I'm not sure why everyone is getting so excited about it.

We shop around a lot - there are different bargains to be had in all stores, I just find that the discount supermarket thing seems to prove that we all call for supermarket branding tricks. Package and brand food and people will accept what we're told.

That is the problem in this country, people are just not canny enough when they do their shopping. They don't realise all the tricks these companies use re packaging/branding etc. The downsizing of packaging to give the impression of value for money. The offers ( bogof or 3 for the price of 2 etc ) where the original price per kilo has gone up to help pay for the offer.
Some families spend £8-£10k per year on food ( as much as their mortgage! ) but they rush round these stores seduced by all the offers. They do no price comparisons and don't even check their bills when they leave. At the moment people are being attracted to the likes of Aldi and Lidl through novelty, even though they have been around for years. The shopper who wants 6-8-10 items and can't be bothered to go to the superstore will stop at these discounters. The parking is easy and checkouts clear fairly quickly.
Aldi and Lidl are benefitting from a country still desperately trying to recover from recession. People are still watching their pennies and being cautious. Don't get kidded, however, that they are any different from the big boys. They will still use every trick in the book to retain low prices by reducing pack sizes and downgrading quality.
Just shop around and identify the best value for money.

scooter1

How soon is now?
I have shopped in both Aldi and Lidl over the years, and both offer great deals. However, I can't get all I need from either and that means two supermarket runs and the rigmarole that goes with it. I don't have the time or minerals for two runs, and therefore its either Tesco or Sainsburys(depending who's sent the vouchers round for the things that we may need). If the new Lidl goes ahead on the Brighton Rd in Shoreham, then i'll be going there once a week as it'll only be 200 yards from work and I can do that in a lunch hour(leaving a Saturday morning to nip to T or S to pick the bits Lidl may not have)

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Not for long if UKIP have their way!

I've obviously missed their policy of throwing out foreign owned businesses ???

Aldi is good for many of the basics but I have found you need to be selective. You also have to be aware of their ridiculous parking policies !

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
No one seems to have noticed that Tesco have done a massive price reduction across their fresh range (eg. 4 pints milk £1, butter £1, 4 chicken breasts £4 etc.).

Coupled to a massive quality drop though. The cheap chicken breasts in my local Tesco are Thai, the still cheaper ones in Lidl are from Tyrone.

Tesco are trying to retain their existing profit margin on their value products resulting in them being extremely low quality. Oddly enough some of their secondary brands - ones that are similar priced to Tesco Value but don't have the word Tesco anywhere except for the "made for Tesco Stores Limited" line on the back are actually better quality than the value ones.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
I've obviously missed their policy of throwing out foreign owned businesses ???

Aldi is good for many of the basics but I have found you need to be selective. You also have to be aware of their ridiculous parking policies !

The only reason Aldi and Lidl can operate in this country and easily import food, (and export cash), without additional tariffs is because we are members of the EU.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
The only reason Aldi and Lidl can operate in this country and easily import food, (and export cash), without additional tariffs is because we are members of the EU.

Last I looked the USA, Australia and Switzerland were not EU members yet somehow Aldi have managed to make their business model work in those countries. This "we leave the EU and the world collapses" is scaremongering sh*te with no evidence or fact.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here