Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Moving gig venues

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Now this is something which happens often in Germany. The latest is Monday's Gruff Rhys gig. It was being held in a small cocktail lounge/bar which excited me. Now it's in a larger regular theatre type venue.

I am disappointed but equally I understand the fine margins promoters work with; so if the get a chance to make a bit of money who can blame them? And more people get to see this great man which must be a good thing? Still pissed off though. Thoughts?

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
When you have tickets to see someone in a small venue it is always going to be disappointing to lose that intimacy if the gig is moved. I say booooo.

It's always going to happen, though, if the promoters and the artists (in general) get their way. Supply and demand in a capitalist world. Sad but true.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I'm going to provide a particularly local perspective:
one of my, if not my, favourite Brighton venue is Green Door Store
my least favourite is The Haunt
They seem to be owned by the same company, so when gigs at GDS get 'upgraded', they are moved to The Haunt
AND THIS MAKES ME ANGRY

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Guess it depends if the primary aim is to generate money directly through ticket sales at the venue or indirectly through publicity or somewhere in between. Recent local examples: Foo Fighters at the Concorde, Royal Blood at The Dome. In both cases, POTG was patently bottom of the list of considerations.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Guess it depends if the artists primary aim is to generate money directly through ticket sales at the venue/indirectly through publicity/somewhere in between. Recent local examples: Foo Fighters at the Concorde, Royal Blood at The Dome. In both cases, POTG was patently bottom of the list of priorities.

Yep, it certainly was. Both these bands know that they can offset these 'fun' nights with sold out arena tours though. Not the case with smaller acts.

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
Thoughts? It's going to be an absolutely f***ing brilliant gig wherever it's held!

It's happened to me a couple of times where a gig's been due to be held at the Wedgewood Rooms (ironically where I saw Gruff a couple of weeks back) but moved to the frankly shite Pyramids.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Sometimes it works the other way and a gig can move from a larger to smaller venue due to poor ticket sales. Fully understand this for everyone involved. I am off to the Haunt tomorrow night to see Phantom Band. Last time I saw them was at Audio and time before that The Albert so guess they are hoping for a larger crowd. I don't dislike Haunt as much as some do but I do find their drink choices are poor!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It's happened again. Avi Buffalo has moved. It has moved to venue much closer to where I live but still.....

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
But you get to see Avi Buffalo! Cant all be bad.

Very true. And the Gruff gig move which started this thread was not only highly enjoyable but was in an excellent little venue which suited him perfectly.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
Sometimes it works the other way and a gig can move from a larger to smaller venue due to poor ticket sales. Fully understand this for everyone involved. I am off to the Haunt tomorrow night to see Phantom Band. Last time I saw them was at Audio and time before that The Albert so guess they are hoping for a larger crowd. I don't dislike Haunt as much as some do but I do find their drink choices are poor!

The Haunt is easily my least favourite venue in Brighton and poor is a very polite word to describe their drinks!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here