Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What is the 'natural capacity' of the Amex?

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
Lots of talk about the size of the crowd last night, raised an interesting point- a reduced crowd can actually improve parts of the match day experience if it means you can spend less time queuing for toilets, drinks, food, trains and car park exits. It's clear that the infrastructure and concessions at the Amex struggle to cope massively with anything close to a capacity crowd in attendance. This leads to the question, what is the level of attendance which the stadium can cope with, without having a significant negative impact on the match day experience, taking into account the infrastructure and systems in place for journeys to and from the site, the facilities within the stadium, and the understaffed concessions?

I reckon its about 15,000, evenly spread across the four stands.

Thank goodness the matchday tickets are so ridiculously overpriced, which successfully deters most non-season ticket holders from attending a game, or it would be chaos. :falmer:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
If you want to park easily and close by, not queue for a pint and have some nice food, with a toilet in easy reach, just find a nice country pub and avoid football matches. There are other aspects to the match day experience that are arguably more important than these.

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
If you want to park easily and close by, not queue for a pint and have some nice food, with a toilet in easy reach, just find a nice country pub and avoid football matches. There are other aspects to the match day experience that are arguably more important than these.

View attachment 59093 ?

Lots of talk about the size of the crowd last night, raised an interesting point- a reduced crowd can actually improve parts of the match day experience if it means you can spend less time queuing for toilets, drinks, food, trains and car park exits. It's clear that the infrastructure and concessions at the Amex struggle to cope massively with anything close to a capacity crowd in attendance. This leads to the question, what is the level of attendance which the stadium can cope with, without having a significant negative impact on the match day experience, taking into account the infrastructure and systems in place for journeys to and from the site, the facilities within the stadium, and the understaffed concessions?

I reckon its about 15,000, evenly spread across the four stands.

Thank goodness the matchday tickets are so ridiculously overpriced, which successfully deters most non-season ticket holders from attending a game, or it would be chaos. :falmer:

Atmosphere could improve with crowds of 17k the more vocal support would be able to group together more:moo:

surlyseagull

Aug 23, 2008

Couldnt have put it better !!

seagull_in_malaysia

Aug 18, 2006
Reading
I got the train back to Brighton after the match for the first time yesterday. Left a couple minutes after FT, only had to wait a couple minutes to get onto the platform (they seemed to control the flow of people pretty well) and about 5 min for the next train. Was sat on my train out of Brighton just after 10pm.

I take it it isn't usually this good, maybe just due to the smaller crowd?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I got the train back to Brighton after the match for the first time yesterday. Left a couple minutes after FT, only had to wait a couple minutes to get onto the platform (they seemed to control the flow of people pretty well) and about 5 min for the next train. Was sat on my train out of Brighton just after 10pm.

That would be normal for a Saturday, evening games are usually slower, but last night was good, as you say due to lower attendance. I was back in Lewes by 10.15. Would rather have had a full house, 3 points and got back 30 mins later though !

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

I left just after the final whistle and stopped for a quick pint with the GDC (many of whom were shockingly on the Bovril but that's another story). I got said pint after less than a minute of queuing and wandered slowly to the station after. Walked straight on the 10.17 back to Brighton. No Coastway West queue and no one queuing for taxis either. It was a little easier than Saturdays when it can take an age to order two pints and still you leave to a queue for Brighton trains but was pretty much par for the course for evening games. Perhaps a little easier though. It would seem that as far as evening games go people leave early if we're losing, early if we're winning and they also leave early when we are level and with a very fine chance of creating a last minute penalty appeal.

An odd thought struck me last night. I was thinking of the 'would you go back to the Goldstone' thread and I thought how much I preferred The Amex in the first season. 20,000 odd is still a good turn out, the queues were no worse and the food and beer concessions better. The ground looked better full and there was more of an atmosphere with people close together and the fact that it was hard to get a ticket making it a proper occasion when you did. It's a daft thing to say because I know we need the extra ticket revenue and, if we ever go up, the bigger Amex will be full every week. However there was something about the 20/21k era that is missing now.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here