Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Penalties?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Not seen a thread on this yet. Could we have had two penalties last night? There was a claim for handball with a big appeal from CMS that was pretty hard to judge from the WSU but I thought we had a nailed on one turned down in the last minute. In fact it was more of an assault. Ref got plenty of stick at the end but wasn't mentioned on here. Anyone else think we were denied an obvious pen at the end?

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Had it not been Kaz primarily the player involved it would have been given I think but he spent a large part of an otherwise excellent performance falling over so the ref wasn't going to have any of it.
Thought the handball was a gimme but they seem to have reinvented the rules so that unless they start playing basketball in the area it doesn't count ???

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
I couldn't see the handball, too far away. But Kaz getting clattered at the end was a nailed on penalty in my opinion, unbelievable that it wasn't given. Even if the ref thought he'd gone down easily earlier in the game it was such a clear penalty that it shouldn't have had an effect.

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
Good point. I've seen the replays and both were very clear penalties. I can't believe we aren't complaining more.

Surely there's enough complaining on here already. What will it change other than make us feel at least deprived. Like life, it's swings and roundabouts. Just look forward to getting a penalty when we don't deserve one. :)

Quinney

Aug 3, 2009
Hastings
A mate in 1901 South stand said that it was definately handball in the 1st half - couldn't see it from WSU. Looked a definate penalty in the last minute - defender was the wrong side of Kaz and seemed to bring him down. Ref bottled it.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
What was the handball shout - I don't recall it. Was it the chance that ended up with Marshall making a save low to his right hand post? I thought (from the far end) that the appeals were about whether the ball had crossed the line.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
The handball seemed to be blatant from the replay, ball heading straight for CMS before the defender swiped it away. Kaz was fould and then Bruno had his legs taken away just after that, the ref bottled it, pure and simple.

However we do all know that Marshall would have saved both the pens we should have had.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
We don't get penalties though do we....
For some reason ref's don't like to give them to us.

I remember thinking the same last season. Has anyone got some stats to prove/disprove this?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I mentioned on the other thread that it was definite handball, as most of the north stand also saw it and shouted.
There was also a penalty shout near the end when Bruno was taken out. I wondered if the ref saw Kaz go down, having already told him off for going to ground, and then ignored Bruno being fouled.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Handball looked like ball to hand to me, arms didnt look in an un-natural position - they have been given though.

When Kaz went down, it should have been a penalty - but him falling over rather easily the rest of the game counted against him here easily.

Regardless, they'd have been saved or missed anyway.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Not particularly convinced by the LuaLua one & to be honest I thought Bruno then put his foot into a place where he could be "tripped" rather than actually being tripped.

Didn't look like a handball initially where CMS was involved, but plenty of folk seem to say the guy did handle it.

Meh. We should have won the game regardless. And we'd inevitably have missed it, so the referee probably just saved us further pain.

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
Fabio dwelt on the ball, lost it and then dragged Lua Lua done. Looked a definite pen to me but the ref didn't have the balls to give it in the 95th minute.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Isnt Neil Swarbrick a Premier ref?

Yes he's in the select group. However he's barely League Two on that performance. Probably why there's a Facebook group stating he's the worst ref in the country. https://www.facebook.com/pages/Neil-Swarbrick-the-worst-referee-in-English-football/319128098119271

(To save Granddad several days of Google searching during which NSC will be asked at least three times if he should turn the computer off and back on again I'm happy to admit there's a Facebook group for almost anything. Most of which I don't want to Google for fear of having to turn my computer off and back on again having cleaned it with a virtual chimney brush first.)

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here