Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Some thoughts on last night's match

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
It was very unfortunate with DS's flap at the long ball, and the buoyant atmosphere dropped after that for the rest of the first half, though, as with the save at Forest, his reflex save last night was very good. But it is nevertheless the third time he has apologised for errors -very commendable honesty, but how many more?
Jones showed us what we are missing with his considerable presence - he won nearly every header and a big striker would surely complement our smaller players, though his histrionics were irritating. Sadly, CMS was largely ineffective. The chap sitting next to me at CMS's first season with us, said that he runs around a lot but we bought him to score goals, and for a CMS fan such as myself, I sadly have to admit that he is just is not quite up to it. Again, the strikers failed to score, and with perhaps Baldock not there on Saturday, it does not look good.
However, last night's game was undoubtedly much better as we created so many chances from midfield in the second half, and I don't think we will see a goalkeeping display like that for a long time -it would surely be unfair to lump yesterday's performance with others where we could not break down a solid packed defence, because we repeatedly did so.
TEx is clearly a very gifted player but as with the game against Charlton, he did fade towards the end of the game and in front of us (East Stand Upper) his attempted trickery lost the ball on occasion. I thought that Paddy McCourt should have come on much earlier; he is an established ball player with vision, and his final ball could be the key to us unlocking the usual packed defence at home, so why bring him on with only 10 minutes to go? Either you need him or you don't!
By and large an entertaining match, but the fact remains that again we failed to win, however unluckily, and the play-offs look ever more remote -yes, I know it is still early days. And crowds are getting less . .

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
It was very unfortunate with DS's flap at the long ball, and the buoyant atmosphere dropped after that for the rest of the first half, though, as with the save at Forest, his reflex save last night was very good. But it is nevertheless the third time he has apologised for errors -very commendable honesty, but how many more?
Jones showed us what we are missing with his considerable presence - he won nearly every header and a big striker would surely complement our smaller players, though his histrionics were irritating. Sadly, CMS was largely ineffective. The chap sitting next to me at CMS's first season with us, said that he runs around a lot but we bought him to score goals, and for a CMS fan such as myself, I sadly have to admit that he is just is not quite up to it. Again, the strikers failed to score, and with perhaps Baldock not there on Saturday, it does not look good.
However, last night's game was undoubtedly much better as we created so many chances from midfield in the second half, and I don't think we will see a goalkeeping display like that for a long time -it would surely be unfair to lump yesterday's performance with others where we could not break down a solid packed defence, because we repeatedly did so.
TEx is clearly a very gifted player but as with the game against Charlton, he did fade towards the end of the game and in front of us (East Stand Upper) his attempted trickery lost the ball on occasion. I thought that Paddy McCourt should have come on much earlier; he is an established ball player with vision, and his final ball could be the key to us unlocking the usual packed defence at home, so why bring him on with only 10 minutes to go? Either you need him or you don't!
By and large an entertaining match, but the fact remains that again we failed to win, however unluckily, and the play-offs look ever more remote -yes, I know it is still early days. And crowds are getting less . .

Good summary. I'm still positive that we'll improve, start scoring a few and move up the table. If CMS is going to play, there has to be someone up top with him. So many times in the last two games at least he's chased/won the ball out wide, then had no-one in the middle to try to find.

We were a bit unlucky last night, keeper had the game of his life, but we also wasted several chances by blazing over from distance, particularly in the second half.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton

Tex's problem last night was offloading the ball. Whenever he was running with the ball he seemed to carry it a few seconds longer than he should have and often ran into trouble when he could have played a pass to a teammate in space.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patreon
Jan 3, 2012

Would go along with most if not all of that.

In defence of CMS, his running and energy does also force errors, like the occasion yesterday when he was harrying someone passing back to the keeper and then running on towards the keeper which forced him to boot it out of play.

Pity he isn't scoring at the moment, but there is more to it than that.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Would go along with most if not all of that.

In defence of CMS, his running and energy does also force errors, like the occasion yesterday when he was harrying someone passing back to the keeper and then running on towards the keeper which forced him to boot it out of play.

Pity he isn't scoring at the moment, but there is more to it than that.

Well, yes, his scurrying towards the keeper did indeed result in.... A throw in. Perhaps I'm being picky, but I'd like to see a little more from a £2.5m "striker"...

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here