Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Message To All Championship Goalies

el punal

I know that the Amex is a wonderful stadium and probably the best in the division, but that doesn't give you the right to use it as a stage to show off your goalkeeping prowess above and beyond the call of duty.

Us Brighton fans are sick and tired of you performing "worldies" thus preventing our glorious players from achieving their one aim in life - scoring a sodding goal!

So, take my advice, go somewhere else and perform your heroics like Carrow Road or the City Ground or Elland Road. In future, when you come a'calling, I want to see fumbles, shots through your legs, throwing the ball into your net and giving away penalties - lots of them.

It's not hard is it, when you come here just play like a prat and we, the Brighton faithful, will be grateful. We will even buy you a drink afterwards. There, how's that for gratitude.

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
Marshall, Butland, Speroni, Almunia...the list goes on!

Marshall was the first I've ever felt compelled to go round to congratulate after the match though, he was a different class.

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
Maybe when you have a lovely state of the art stadium with tremendous facilities the opposition have a good game.

Were the oppo keepers so impressive at Withdean?

Daffy Duck

Stop bloody moaning!
Nov 7, 2009
GOSBTS
That goalkeeping display from Marshall last night was probably the best I've seen at the Amex.

I'm always asking myself why do they always play out of their boots against us. Why don't we ever play against a goalie who lets in a few dodgy goals or just lets the ball go through his legs? I see it all the time on the footie highlights, so why never against us?

I'm beginning to feel a bit left out when other teams seem to get goalie howlers go in their favour.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
That goalkeeping display from Marshall last night was probably the best I've seen at the Amex.

I'm always asking myself why do they always play out of their boots against us. Why don't we ever play against a goalie who lets in a few dodgy goals or just lets the ball go through his legs? I see it all the time on the footie highlights, so why never against us?

I'm beginning to feel a bit left out when other teams seem to get goalie howlers go in their favour.

Home games I remember against dodgey keepers, Barnsley played Gonzalez against us who had a shocker.

Tom Heaton didnt have a great game against us last season.

But I cant really remember too many more.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Maybe when you have a lovely state of the art stadium with tremendous facilities the opposition have a good game.

Were the oppo keepers so impressive at Withdean?

Maybe but FDM was better than any since (exc TK arguably) could STILL be back up and we'd never have needed to employ Ank or Brezovan

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
If we want David Marshall or any other keeper to play crap, the simplest thing to do would be to ask Tony Bloom to sign him.

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
To be fair, some keepers have had howlers at the Amex too. The Bolton keeper comes to mind (though he was sub).

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
To be fair, some keepers have had howlers at the Amex too. The Bolton keeper comes to mind (though he was sub).

Yep. Andy Lonergan. Was pretty dismal this season.

Tom Heaton should have been sent off for one offence then later got sent off for something far less. Gonzalez was probably worse for us at the Amex than he was for Barnsley, I think.

Besides. I can remember some decent displays against us at Withdean. Clayton Ince springs annoyingly to mind. Losing at home to 9 man Walsall. Them were the days eh?

Maybe it's because the keepers we play against are, in the main, bloody good keepers. Marshall was up there with the best in the PL last season so we shouldn't really be surprised. And he's the only keeper we've really worked that hard. Joe Lewis was alright for Blackpool but in the main, we've simply missed chances rather than keepers playing outstandingly well.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Apart from Stockdale. If Stockdale had been in the Cardiff goal last night we'd have won 6-0.

Moronic comment.

Stockdale made a massive error last night, but also made a superb save that prevented us from ultimately losing the game. He made stops at Ipswich and Forest every bit as good as the saves Marshall made last night.

Besides that, as people keep explaining, there is more than one facet to goalkeeping. Take as a very clear example, the excellent save Marshall made last night from Dunk's downward header, from 6 yards. Now Stockdale would not have made that particular save. Because he wouldn't have had to. Because he would have come and caught the corner in the first place - much as he did five minutes later at the other end.

Skylar

Banned
Jul 29, 2014
Moronic comment.

Stockdale made a massive error last night, but also made a superb save that prevented us from ultimately losing the game. He made stops at Ipswich and Forest every bit as good as the saves Marshall made last night.

Besides that, as people keep explaining, there is more than one facet to goalkeeping. Take as a very clear example, the excellent save Marshall made last night from Dunk's downward header, from 6 yards. Now Stockdale would not have made that particular save. Because he wouldn't have had to. Because he would have come and caught the corner in the first place - much as he did five minutes later at the other end.

It's becoming a habit with Stockdale isn't? There isn't one game where I'm just waiting for him to make a clanger, bit like when Pete or Casper was named in the starting line up, all I could think about is when the calamity keepers will make a major **** up and it wouldn't take long.

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Moronic comment.

His distribution was also outstanding last night- there were two or three occasions where he released players on a quick break with a throw out before most of us had even finished acknowledging he'd caught the ball. He's leagues apart from Kuszczak in that respect.

To compare him to Ankergren or Brezovan is ludicrous. He's in a different class to either of them.

Skylar

Banned
Jul 29, 2014
His distribution was also outstanding last night- there were two or three occasions where he released players on a quick break with a throw out before most of us had even finished acknowledging he'd caught the ball. He's leagues apart from Kuszczak in that respect.

To compare him to Ankergren or Brezovan is ludicrous. He's in a different class to either of them.

Think you're missing the point. He's cost us another 2 pts. How many more will he cost us?

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Think you're missing the point. He's cost us another 2 pts. How many more will he cost us?

Fewer than he'll save us, I imagine. Personal opinions of course. He's had a tough start. He's a confident lad, that much is clear, and he'll come for stuff that other keepers won't. He dominates his six yard box and most defenders will tell you they absolutely love that. I'd hate to see the confidence knocked out of him and I'm convinced he'll be great for us. I certainly don't put him in the Ankergren category, I know what you're saying and why but- I reckon- he's far better on a basic level than Casper :)

PS: you could also argue he saved us from losing the point we did get, as I barely even considered that Dunk's shocking second half header might result in anything but a goal. I was sat in my seat ready to face the kick off when the ball fell to Pilkington. Couldn't believe Stockdale saved it. As brilliant as the first goal was disappointing.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009

He didn't cost us 2 points last night. The attackers cost us the points by consistently messing up their chances and fluffing the ball into the stand more often than not. Stockdale did not miss a single chance last night, and made a brilliant block to prevent a certain goal in the second half - negating his error.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester

Distribution is a secondary aspect of keeping. If it was so important, we should've re-signed Spanish Dave to play in goal.

Stockdale is crap compared to Kuszczak (before his loss of form last spring).

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here