Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What is Forster-Caskey's role in the team?

pnealesmith

Aug 22, 2014
I am a fan of developing and playing development squad players. Dunk is a great example of when it works well and I hope that in due course Solly March will also become a regular attacking midfielder. However, this season I am bewildered as to what role Forster-Caskey is filing in the current match day team where he has been an 80-90 minute regular.

He is not the strong holding MF (that's Holla or Ince), he is not the playmaker (that's Teixeira, Gardner or McCourt) and he is not the finisher (perhaps Lua Lua or in previous season's Crofts).

His main role seems to be to take the odd corner and free kick (mostly badly) and to make a badly timed tackle in the middle of the park to get booked every match.

Surely, playing Ince, McCourt or Crofts would give a stronger performance in midfield?

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
the-waterboy.jpg

......in fairness, I thought he played well last night, not spectacular but positionally aware and ticked the ball over.

Grassman

Jun 12, 2008
Tun Wells
Just shows how differently we see the game. I thought that yesterday JFC was very good and I've been more than a little critical of him this season. He played a number of excellent balls in both halves trying to realise whoever was running outside him, yes, his corners are still not good enough but let someone else take them!

Harold

Jul 7, 2003
Hastings
His role is to divide the fans it seems. For my two penneth worth, he's not up to this level.

Munchkin

Jul 12, 2005
Littlehampton
JFC is simply not good enough I'm afraid.

I would suggest his forthcoming suspension will give someone else the opportunity to prove they a far better option and I feel he will struggle to get back in.

If last night was one of his better performances then it's sums up how below par he is.

surlyseagull

Aug 23, 2008
Just shows how differently we see the game. I thought that yesterday JFC was very good and I've been more than a little critical of him this season. He played a number of excellent balls in both halves trying to realise whoever was running outside him, yes, his corners are still not good enough but let someone else take them!

Agree ,he put one pass through which was inch perfect and should have resulted in more and had a pretty good game imo ,and yes perhaps he made some mistakes, but then again as good as Dunk was he put Cardiff through with a mistake which could have cost us the game if it had not been for Stockdale so lets take a fair assesment .

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
Not a fan at all.
He seems incapable of taking a corner with any degree of accuracy (mind you in the current set up he's not exactly alone in that !) and his petulance seems to flair up in each match when he gets booked for poor challenges. When he started off he was good but a run of games in the first team has not had the desired effect of pushing him on - in fact I think he's gone backwards. However the manager likes him as does the England manager so perhaps we don't see the full picture during the match.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
He played very well last night This same debate is raging on the Play Ratings Thread. His role is to play alongside Holla to protect the back four both centrally and wide if our full backs get exposed.

If someone can bring up the stats I'm sure it will shock many as his pass completion rate will be high including key passes, defensive tackles in midfield will probably be the best in the team and finally ground/distance covered no one covered more ground than him last night either to track back defensively or to make space to receive the ball from the back four. If his volley goes in last night a strong contender for MOTM as it is just a very sound and solid display.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
His role against Watford will be to sit it out as he's suspended after picking up a fifth yellow card last night for a rather harsh booking towards the end.

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
He played very well last night This same debate is raging on the Play Ratings Thread. His role is to play alongside Holla to protect the back four both centrally and wide if our full backs get exposed.

If someone can bring up the stats I'm sure it will shock many as his pass completion rate will be high including key passes, defensive tackles in midfield will probably be the best in the team and finally ground/distance covered no one covered more ground than him last night either to track back defensively or to make space to receive the ball from the back four. If his volley goes in last night a strong contender for MOTM as it is just a very sound and solid display.

Tbh I didnt even realise he was playing until 30 minutes in.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
I have been critical of JFC this season but he has been a lot better last 2 games.still cant understand why the midfield gets rotated but he is the only one that seems to stay in the team.

Pintos

Jul 28, 2005
Oxted
He is our Xavi - excellent close control and short passing.
I think for him to gain universal acceptance he will need to start notching up more assists and goals. (Although you could say that about any player - I'd happily take anyone who will directly contribute to 15 goals a season. Apart from maybe Kevin Nolan, he's a ****)

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
He's young. Thought he's been a bit meh this season, but he had a great game last night. His finishing needs working on but that's the same for every player in blue & white stripes.

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
He played very well last night, bar of course those volleys. I've been critical of him in the past for being too lightweight but he showed his beef with some very meaty tackles. Admittedly this led to him getting suspended but when you compare the challenge he was booked for and the one on Kaz as we were on the break in injury time then it seems harsh.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Keeps play ticking over and last night played some lovely balls through that unfortunately didn't come off by millimetres.
Check his stats for each game, that will tell you why he is in the team.

Brighton TID

Jul 24, 2005
Horsham
What he does, he gets the ball and keeps possession, passes it easy, keeps possession, breaks up the play, keeps possession. When we have possession, we have the ball and the opponent doesn't. Football without the ball is athletics (read Gus Poyet).

In every team, there are unspectacular players, rather like the wheel bearings on a car. Boring, hidden, but essential to the running of the whole.

Jakey's set pieces are shite though.

crabface

Mar 24, 2012
Have said all season that he is not up to the standard, however thought last night was one of his better games. Was amusing after McCourt came on, Jake ran over to take the corner and Paddy was having none of it. Really needs to work on his set pieces if he is going to be taking them for us regularly.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here