Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The crowd this evening

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Only 23712 tonight. I know this is more than many clubs get in our division but poor for us. I think a lot could be down to poor results despite some saying the football is more entertaining than last season. We desperately need a few dour 1 - 0 wins. Continue as we are and it will drop even more many tonight around lower west saying they regret renewing their ST.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
In truth it's inevitable a percentage of fans will be reluctant to come due to the poor start made so far. Every club will have their number of fair-weather fans and we're no different. Not overly worried about this but what would worry me is that if the season as a whole turned out to be a relegation battle (lets hope it's not) then we might not just lose the fair-weather fans but many season ticket holders too. Even though the performance was vastly improved last night I for one thought the atmosphere disappeared after Stockdale's howler - for much of the rest of the game you could have heard a pin drop.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
I reckon the truth is that was our first sub 20k crowd in actual attendance since Falmer was finished. Swathes of empty sth seats around us and loads around the ground. I do fear for next season as our gamble on low investment in the squad looks like it has failed.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Agree- it was clearly under 20000. That's a third of the ground empty. Lost revenue from missing fans must also be a worry, less food and drink bought etc. Something needs to be done as night games tend to be better supported.

D

Deleted member 22389

I don't understand the not wanting to go because your team is losing. Part of being a supporter is seeing the club through the rough times. It's a sad fact that nearly all the clubs have this problem, unless you are spoilt by having a billionaire constantly pumping money in. We only need a few wins to get us right back up there. We are certainly not shit and we are certainly not relegation material.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
I reckon the truth is that was our first sub 20k crowd in actual attendance since Falmer was finished. Swathes of empty sth seats around us and loads around the ground. I do fear for next season as our gamble on low investment in the squad looks like it has failed.

Agree with you I think it was around 18-19k excluding non-show ST holders which means a fair loss on averages of around 27k last season. Buying billy cheap options in every department is now starting to bite. They need to get a crowd pleaser in which currently within the present team we do not have just to get some belief back. Also Burke and co should be working their collective socks off looking for that missing striker

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
If you keep sharply increasing the prices of every element of attendance, year on year, it's inevitable.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Fourth season in at the Amex and the honeymoon period is over for many. After three top ten finishes and two play-offs, there is an expectation ( nay demand ) to keep pushing upwards, not only from the fans but the Chairman as well. Ten points out of thirty is a poor return and an ever revolving match-day squad is not helping matters.
There is a lack of confidence in the manager, in our new goalkeeper and in our strikers ability to finish. Fans are not convinced that we have invested in enough quality and have purely brought in quantity.
Catering prices have increased again and may well have reached a tipping point for many. High prices on the concourse is one thing, poor service is another.
We are now at the crossroads, on the pitch. The next 7 games will determine the season ( 4 at home ) By the November international break we should have a much clearer idea of where we are going. We will either be sitting lower mid-table with designs on the top half or we shall be immersed in the relegation dogfight. With Norwich, Derby, Wolves and Reading to play in the run-up to Xmas, we could find ourselves struggling.
Crowds won't improve in the short term until results pick up.

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
If the board had showed some ambition with investment into the squad in the summer, I'm sure attendances would have stayed around a similar level as last season. As it is, we don't have much quality in the side and the part-timers are losing interest unfortunately.

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
For non-season ticket holders it is probably a combination of excessive ticket prices, excessive drink and food prices, infuriating queues and understaffed concessions, and the fact that the odds of seeing a decent Albion performance and some goals for the home team have diminished this season.

It's not really about results, it's about watching a team that fights to win, looks like scoring, and does score on occasion. Plus it doesn't help when the players you grow to love one season, are regularly sold before the next. No long term plan, and little evidence on the pitch of progression or ambition of promotion.

It's not about JCLs, or fair weather fans, it's deeper than than that. Whatever spin the club try to sell, on the pitch they don't look like a club serious about pushing for promotion or building for the future. The 'project' is off the pitch not on it, at the moment.

Fans need to see something they can get behind and fight for with the players. The only thing that is likely to deliver that this season, based on performances to date, is a relegation scrap.

Personally I think a relegation scrap and even a season in league one would be more fun than mid table meandering in the Championship, but I may be in the minority...

patchamalbion

Feb 26, 2009
brighton
I also just don't understand the not going because of form, as a fan of football it amazes me. Last night I wanted to watch a game of footie at our incredible stadium and have a beer with mates. I get frustrated at times but it wouldn't stop me going back. Do we really have some 6-7000 fans that think in this way?..

Jan 30, 2008
Only 23712 tonight. I know this is more than many clubs get in our division but poor for us. I think a lot could be down to poor results despite some saying the football is more entertaining than last season. We desperately need a few dour 1 - 0 wins. Continue as we are and it will drop even more many tonight around lower west saying they regret renewing their ST.
Welcome to the real world:)
regards
DR

Jan 30, 2008
I also just don't understand the not going because of form, as a fan of football it amazes me. Last night I wanted to watch a game of footie at our incredible stadium and have a beer with mates. I get frustrated at times but it wouldn't stop me going back. Do we really have some 6-7000 fans that think in this way?..
yes , no point in tarting it up , I suspect those that think like that are seasoned campaigners
regards
DR

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
I don't know what's so hard to understand.

If a team isn't performing well there will be lower crowds who turn up. When the team is flying high and winning then more people will turn up.
Then there is an element of devoted fans who will turn up no matter how things are going.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I think we have a hard core of 8-10,000 who will go regardless. So we will be losing plenty more this season if results don't improve reasonably quickly. Finish in the bottom half and sell our best players and lose the decent loanees again before next season and the crowds will more than halve next season IMO.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
If you keep sharply increasing the prices of every element of attendance, year on year, it's inevitable.

Where have they sharply been increased this year ? All u18s tickets were frozen. And other tickets went up by on average 3%. ie: close to inflation. Match day ticket prices have also been frozen.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003

Sad to say - but I think Yes we do. There are even a few ST holders in my office who decide to miss a few each season for one reason or another. However strange that may seem to some - it's reality. The hard core loyal fans will always go, but remember even at Withdean when the capacity was only 9000 we rarely filled that. Accepted it was a crap stadium, but I think that emphasizes the % or number of real loyal fans willing to go week in week out.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I think we have a hard core of 8-10,000 who will go regardless. So we will be losing plenty more this season if results don't improve reasonably quickly. Finish in the bottom half and sell our best players again before next season and the crowds will more than halve next season IMO.

So you are predicting we will lose 10K season ticket holders by 2015/16, in one go? (we currently have c21K)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here