Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Smashed iPhone/replacement options

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
Evening all, not the best time to ask this given the looming kick off, but still...

I have browsed the Apple store, Google, various sites, and before I decide what to do, thought I'd ask the swelling Apple community here for personal experiences.

I dropped my 4s this evening, smashed the front glass, and need to replace it. A few months ago an Apple bod in their store (I was having laggy app issues at the time) said I could swap it for a refurbished one, for a fee. I declined. Now however there doesn't seem to be any mention of that anymore on their site; indeed, there are explicit posts saying you can't do that at all.

Can anyone come up with a story along the lines of "I did the exact same thing, went to [place] and they offered [something] and it cost [this much] and I was really pleased with them."

Ta greatly.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
First things first is check your household insurance. I was over the moon when I found I had gadget cover included. The Mrs has broken hers 3 times and it's only £15 each time to fix it

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Just buy an HTC or Samsung, although they copy Apples corners and shape, they are clever enough not to copy Apple and use glass for a screen.

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
I dropped my sons 2 week old ipad mini and when I contacted Apple they said Ipad screens are non repairable and offered me a replacement service for a fee of £249, the conversation went like this, I said "so your answer is to just sell me a new one?", his response, "no, its a replacement service", me "errm ok what happens to my one then?" , him "it gets sent off to get refurbished", me "right, so it gets its screen fixed and then resold to someone like me?" , him "well not necessarily", me "what so you have a stock of refurbished ipads that you dont sell and keep hold of?", him "well no but they get redistributed in other ways too", me " so you give them away?", him " no ", me " you sell them?", him " thats one of the streams we use, yes" , me "fine, so your engineers refurbish them by fixing the screens?", him " yes of course", me "but you cant just take mine, and just charge me for fixing the screen and send it back?", him "no for that we offer our replacement service!", me "why would i just buy another ipad from you, i just want this one fixed which you can do but refuse to, i could just sell this broken one for at least £100 and then buy a new one saving myself £100!", him " i take it you dont want to use the replacement service?", me "correct, that would just be stupid wouldnt it?", him - silence. Call ended.

Talk about frustrating! i ended up taking it to a place in Lewes Road just by the junction with Harrington Road, http://www.iphonefixerbrighton.co.uk

They replaced the screen for £80 and did a good job, it works perfectly. I think they charge around £40 for an iphone 4s. Might take them up to a week but well worth it.

scoobiewhite

Jan 29, 2012
Albourne / Brighton
There's a small shop just inside imperial arcade (the dyke rd end) that just did mine on the spot for £50. Took ten mins and worked perfectly. Another hard working immigrant that the daily hate would have us all believe are satin incarnate!!

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Talk about frustrating! i ended up taking it to a place in Lewes Road just by the junction with Harrington Road, http://www.iphonefixerbrighton.co.uk

They replaced the screen for £80 and did a good job, it works perfectly. I think they charge around £40 for an iphone 4s. Might take them up to a week but well worth it.

Used these guys recently and would recommend

matt

Mar 19, 2007
Used these guys recently and would recommend

I agree. I have used them for an iPhone and iPad glass replacement over the past few months and if you call and make an appointment they will do it whilst you wait i.e. go over the road for some toast and a coffee.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Be wary of unofficial repairers.

My wife broke the glass screen of her iphone. The choices: a £175 repair via the O2 shop, or the £50 cash deal offered by a much used repairer operating from his home in Brighton & Hove. Friends and family had used this guy.

We chose the cheap option. Six months later, when a fault developed on one 'key' not working, the AppleStore proved to us that phone was now irreparable. This was true - the backstreet repairer had used glue in part of his work, rendering the interface between the glass and electronics ruined.

mccraque

Feb 24, 2009
I obliterated my iphone glass the other week after cartwheeling off my bike. Took it into a little shop on baker street (off london road) and they repaired it within 3 hours for £40. brand new glass. Works perfectly.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I dropped my sons 2 week old ipad mini and when I contacted Apple they said Ipad screens are non repairable and offered me a replacement service for a fee of £249, the conversation went like this, I said "so your answer is to just sell me a new one?", his response, "no, its a replacement service", me "errm ok what happens to my one then?" , him "it gets sent off to get refurbished", me "right, so it gets its screen fixed and then resold to someone like me?" , him "well not necessarily", me "what so you have a stock of refurbished ipads that you dont sell and keep hold of?", him "well no but they get redistributed in other ways too", me " so you give them away?", him " no ", me " you sell them?", him " thats one of the streams we use, yes" , me "fine, so your engineers refurbish them by fixing the screens?", him " yes of course", me "but you cant just take mine, and just charge me for fixing the screen and send it back?", him "no for that we offer our replacement service!", me "why would i just buy another ipad from you, i just want this one fixed which you can do but refuse to, i could just sell this broken one for at least £100 and then buy a new one saving myself £100!", him " i take it you dont want to use the replacement service?", me "correct, that would just be stupid wouldnt it?", him - silence. Call ended.

https://www.apple.com/uk/support/ipad/repair/screen-damage/

This link indicates you can have it repaired.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here