Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bennett on a high at Albion [The Argus]

Newshound

Brighton 8049
Jun 5, 2011
Joe Bennett is loving the high life with Albion and respite from fans' flak at Aston Villa.
Albion boss Sami Hyypia encourages his full-backs to get forward as much as possible.
That suits the attack-minded style of the left-back on loan from Villa for the season.
Bennett revealed to The Argus: "He (Hyypia) pulled me into his office just before my first game (Bolton at home) and said 'I just want you to get forward really and show what you can do.
"'Obviously you have got to get back as well but just support the attack and even when the right-back is crossing the ball I want you to get in the box.'
"That suits my game. I loved getting forward and I am really enjoying playing at the moment.
"With Villa, especially in the Premier League, teams don't really play like that. You get punished if there is a counter-attack and you are not back in your defensive role.
"But I think the way Brighton keep the ball it allows me to get high and the right-back as well."
Bennett's temporary move to the South Coast from the West Midlands has been refreshing for the 24-year-old off the pitch as well.
Bennett will shine for Albion: Albion have been urged to “put an arm around” Joe Bennett and watch him blossom... http://t.co/7dDHl5kgvP
— thisisbrighton(@thisisbrighton) September 9, 2014
He is no longer on Twitter because of abuse from Villa supporters. Bennett, bought from Middlesbrough, was one of the young players targeted as Paul Lambert's inexperienced Villa side struggled in the top flight last season.
He said: "We had a young team. I think the fans were getting frustrated because of that and we weren't performing as well as we probably should have been.
"For me personally they signed Ryan Bertrand from Chelsea on loan, so I didn't get as many games as I would have liked.
"I had a few injuries as well, which didn't help. It's nice to come to Brighton and be playing games. "I've loved every minute of it, from the first day I walked in. All the lads have been fantastic with me, the staff as well."
Bennett has pretty big boots to fill. Albion drafted him in after their bid to sign Stephen Ward permanently from Wolves following the Irishman's successful loan last season was hijacked by Burnley.
"I heard he (Ward) was a good player for Brighton but I am not really too interested in that," Bennett said: "I just want to focus on what I am doing and play well for Brighton.
"I think I've started okay and put in some good performances. Hopefully that can continue."
Bennett has an idea what to expect against relegated Cardiff at the Amex tonight as Albion try to build on Saturday's 0-0 draw at then-leaders Nottingham Forest with a first victory in six games in the Championship.
He played against Cardiff, as a left-sided midfielder, in a 0-0 draw for Villa in Wales in February.
"It was tough," he said. "They've got big Kenwyne Jones up front, who is a handful, and quick wingers. Everyone is going to have to be on their game.
"I think we are playing really well at the moment. It's not as if we are not creating chances.
"We created a lot of chances on Saturday. We just need to put the ball in the back of the net."

p-89EKCgBk8MZdE.gif

Original article

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here