Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Question for Southern employee's - This Southern Railway Key thing?

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
Question for anyone in the know: :)

So seeing as Southern are offering 10% off many fares if you use this thing instead of a paper ticket, I've applied and received one. My big plan was using it between Polegate and Lewes tonight.

The 'how to use' gumph that comes with it states: "Don't forget to touch out on the yellow card reader when you reach your destination". Does this mean if I don't 'touch out' at Lewes, the card will get confused & have a digital flounce next time I attempt to use it?

If I have to touch out everytime at Lewes, then forget it. I can't be arsed getting off a direct train to Falmer at Lewes to race up the steps and 'touch out', then back again for another train.

Or have I got it all wrong? If someone knows, maybe they could let me know please.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
You don't have to touch in and out, I don't know why the gumph says that. Remember if you're paying online, it can take a couple of hours to register, bizarrely.

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
Don't work for Southern but do have one. You do actually need to touch out/touch in as far as I understand it. The guards machines get cross when they check your ticket if you haven't touched in for a start, because it's not validated the ticket. Of course someone from Southern might tell me I'm completely wrong, but touching the validator does seem to be a requirement.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I've used mine to travel from eastbourne to the amex a couple of times and I've never touched out/in at Lewes/Falmer. Still works ok.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
You have to tap in and out to verify the journey you've paid for. The chap who avoided paying over £40k in rail fares traveling from Sussex to London by misusing an Oyster card on the final stage of his journey thought he could get away with a small penalty fare by a tap out without a prior tap in.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
You have to tap in and out to verify the journey you've paid for. The chap who avoided paying over £40k in rail fares traveling from Sussex to London by misusing an Oyster card on the final stage of his journey thought he could get away with a small penalty fare by a tap out without a prior tap in.

It's not an Oyster card though, it's a ticket that is stored on the card rather than an PAYG card, the chap who avoided the fares never bought a ticket (obviously). I've often not tapped in in the morning and used the return in the evening or whatever, had it checked by the guard using a gizmo, never a problem.

Nadger

Sep 4, 2003
Brighton
Waste of space technology implemented very badly.

If buying online needs to be done 2 hours before you pick it up this is 2014 not 1990's with dial up modems. When trying to buy from ticket machine half the time never works.

They really should just sort out PAYG like Oyster but it would mean they would have to give you the cheapest fare...rather than you having to find it on the ticket machine.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
It's not an Oyster card though, it's a ticket that is stored on the card rather than an PAYG card, the chap who avoided the fares never bought a ticket (obviously). I've often not tapped in in the morning and used the return in the evening or whatever, had it checked by the guard using a gizmo, never a problem.

The Key is a ITSO compliant smartcard so there is a facility for it to be used as a PAYG card too at some time in the future.

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
They really should just sort out PAYG like Oyster but it would mean they would have to give you the cheapest fare...rather than you having to find it on the ticket machine.

They have. It's only available in Brighton (and Crawley) I think right now, but you can set up what's called keyGo, which you can use on buses and trains. On the trains it gives you the cheapest fair for the day, on the bus you have to get a day ticket at the mo.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Isn't it 10% off if you purchase your ticket in advance so in effect load your card with the ticket - I cannot see the point in them if they don't save money (like the oyster card does) as the 10% is only up to October sometime.

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
Isn't it 10% off if you purchase your ticket in advance so in effect load your card with the ticket - I cannot see the point in them if they don't save money (like the oyster card does) as the 10% is only up to October sometime.

The 10% off is for all tickets as I read it, not just advanced purchase.

http://www.southernrailway.com/offers/key-sale/

The 10% off offer is the only reason I've bothered to get one although that deal ends in October sometime. I've booked an online ticket on it tonight although it will be slightly under two hours to the train I want to catch. If the thing starts to prove a load of hassle by not loading up or letting me through the gate, then I won't bother with it in the future. I can book paper tickets online and get them out the machine 10 minutes later with no problem.

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
The 10% off is for all tickets as I read it, not just advanced purchase.

http://www.southernrailway.com/offers/key-sale/

The 10% off offer is the only reason I've bothered to get one although that deal ends in October sometime. I've booked an online ticket on it tonight although it will be slightly under two hours to the train I want to catch. If the thing starts to prove a load of hassle by not loading up or letting me through the gate, then I won't bother with it in the future. I can book paper tickets online and get them out the machine 10 minutes later with no problem.

You'll probably be fine in that case, you're told you can wait up to two hours for paper tickets too I believe.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Because of barrier-less travel in the Fatherland, this wouldn't happen in Germany.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
So why are you fined by German ticket inspectors if you fail to time stamp your ticket and why are they armed ?

They are armed so they can shoot non-believers like you.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
How do I get my gold / season ticket on it?

Can I transfer my paper Season ticket onto the key smartcard?
You may transfer your current paper ticket to the key as long as you have at least one months validity remaining and the origin and destination stations of your ticket are valid key enabled stations. To transfer your ticket simply follow these steps:

Apply for the key
Visit any Southern manned ticket office outside of London Travelcard area where the key is valid
We will contact you when your key is ready to be collected.

Beats changing your paper ticket every couple of months right?

Sergei's Celebration

Jan 3, 2010
I've come back home.
Can I transfer my paper Season ticket onto the key smartcard?
You may transfer your current paper ticket to the key as long as you have at least one months validity remaining and the origin and destination stations of your ticket are valid key enabled stations. To transfer your ticket simply follow these steps:

Apply for the key
Visit any Southern manned ticket office outside of London Travelcard area where the key is valid
We will contact you when your key is ready to be collected.

Beats changing your paper ticket every couple of months right?
Top stuff! Thanks [emoji4]

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here