Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Now the novelty has worn off would you go back to the Goldstone?

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Yes. Without a doubt. There's few better feelings in footie than walking up to a football stadium surrounded by streets and houses for a midweek game. It just feels right. I've never really felt the love with the Amex in that regard.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
The only positives I could think of would be location (far easier to get to) and the north stand, which woukdn't be a terrace anymore anyway. No

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
Rancid toilets, crumbling terraces, the sweet aroma of pipe smoke everywhere and metal boards with half-times on? You bet!

Jumpers for goalposts, isn't it wasn't it?

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Definitely one of those ideas that only works with the heart not the head.

The Goldstone wasn't very good, but it was home so that was good enough.

Going back would be fun as it would remind the rosy spec brigade:-

Transport was a nightmare, with any crowd over 10k.
Toilet, forget it.
Food, next to the toilet, forget it.
Beer, dear god no.
Atmosphere non existent unless the crowd was over 15k.

But one more chance to go to a game with my Dad.
Roll up at 3:05.
Grab a rancid burger from the van.
Stroll through to 'our' spot.
Bemoan the game then wander home.

Who wouldn't.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Definitely not. It was NOWHERE NEAR as loud or good as people remember. Massive rose-tinteds on this one from a lot of people methinks.

Goldstone prices? Definitely.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Yes, yes I would.

But only if the Amex was moved there.

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
Great question!

Again I'm torn. For a number of reasons I would love to go back to Goldstone, but also lots of reasons Amex is better. Alternate weekends (with/without kids) would suit me best.

Harold

Jul 7, 2003
Hastings
The walk from Hove station. Bet in the bookies. CPFC die graffiti. Drinks in the Exchange. Gulls Eye by the church. The edgy walk up Goldstone Lane. Click of the antiquated turnstiles. Get that board out the way. PC Beard. Stinky toilets next to surly purveyors of water boiled burgers. Crumbling terrace. Packed North Stand. Goal surges. Let's go kin mental. Fag smoke and beer breath. Stand where you want, with who you want.

I'd have a trip back again in a heartbeat.

But then back to our glorious home for me. Fought too hard for it.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The only plus was I always parked on Chrome Productions so could arrive 5 mins before kick off and still be in the South Stand seat in time and was on the road home within 10 mins of final whistle.

Other than that give me The Amex any day.

ExmouthExile

Feb 11, 2005
I would - the spirit of the club is still there in my opinion, but if you could move the Amex to the old site, I would prefer that.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Ah, nothing I liked better than at half time being ankle deep in someone else's piss, then off to get some chips covered in the fag ash of the bloke serving them.

Those were the days.

D

Deleted member 22389

The walk from Hove station. Bet in the bookies. CPFC die graffiti. Drinks in the Exchange. Gulls Eye by the church. The edgy walk up Goldstone Lane. Click of the antiquated turnstiles. Get that board out the way. PC Beard. Stinky toilets next to surly purveyors of water boiled burgers. Crumbling terrace. Packed North Stand. Goal surges. Let's go kin mental. Fag smoke and beer breath. Stand where you want, with who you want.

I'd have a trip back again in a heartbeat.

But then back to our glorious home for me. Fought too hard for it.

It did seem a lot easier to go and watch back then. I remember making that decision at 1:00pm on a Saturday to go and watch. Drive to the CO-OP, park up, walk down and pay my £8.00 to get in.
These days you have a schedule to keep too. Too used to the comforts of The Amex these days.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Yes. Without a doubt. There's few better feelings in footie than walking up to a football stadium surrounded by streets and houses for a midweek game. It just feels right. I've never really felt the love with the Amex in that regard.

I know what you mean...The Amex, for all its magnificence, is open and exposed. Walking to city and town grounds always feels different. More warm and more lived in. Residents in their front gardens or passageways. Hustle and bustle of normal life going on. Programme sellers on street corners, scarf, badge and rosette sellers and the array of food vans as you approach the ground.
But..we've all moved on and we should be grateful for what we've got.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here