Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Churchill Square 70s/80s - was there a revolving cafe?

matt

Mar 19, 2007
Did the cafe (at one point called Copenhagen?) that was upstairs in the roundish building that sat at the east end of the pedestrianised area between Churchill Square and Western Road, have a revolving floor?

???

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Partially related

[yt]BOlkKTvSf34[/yt]

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
The Solarium was that? Or something similar? Can't remember, only used to visit occassionally in those days :(

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
Not sure if it was revolving or not. There's the good old Wishing Well, the place for romantic meets prior to town! If they were late, it was a tad embarrassing with no mobiles!

WW.JPG

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
It didn't revolve. I worked in Milton House, the most southerly of the blue-faced blocks built above the shops. Even within 10 years of it being built Churchill Square was going downhill. The original plan was that there would be a pedestrian link with the seafront but that never happened so the square was a sort of cul-de-sac to nowhere.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
always remember the ice rink and the bloke down the road from the station making glass models in his shop window ahh the memories.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Not sure if it was revolving or not. There's the good old Wishing Well, the place for romantic meets prior to town! If they were late, it was a tad embarrassing with no mobiles!

View attachment 59068

this one was at the front on the Western Road
I think there might have been something in the interior that revolved
always a bit pricey for me

SockMonster

Oct 12, 2007
Brighton
Did the cafe (at one point called Copenhagen?) that was upstairs in the roundish building that sat at the east end of the pedestrianised area between Churchill Square and Western Road, have a revolving floor?

It definitely didn't revolve. My old dad was one of the last tenants of that cafe and i worked in there years back selling ice creams. Most of all though I remember that wishing well! Always the place to meet your girlfriend when I was a kid.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Just wasted an hour watching The Persuaders. There was a rumour Roger Moore lived in Ditchling, is this why they filmed in Brighton.
Edit: Not wasted, enjoyed.

Last edited:

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
I miss the old Churchill Square (for which read "I miss being 15").

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town

View attachment 59068

Amazing to think that 40 years ago if you wanted a telephone line at home there was a waiting list and the equivalent of a mobile was a phonebox.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here