Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

£300k for a one bed flat overlooking the Goldstone Retail Park

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I'd have paid that quite happily if it overlooked the Goldstone site's previous incarnation.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
At a slight tangent, I was looking at an overhead view of the Amex the other day and it occurred to me that it might be the only league football ground in the country where virtually the closest neighbour is a magnificent listed house with a swimming pool and a two-comma price tag.

Butch Willykins

Jun 17, 2011
Shoreham-by-Sea

And the rest.

£300k is the guide price, all of the private sale properties in this development are going to best and final bids! I've never seen that before on a new build development.

They'll all sell though, partly because one of the joint selling agents is actually a London based estate agent who'll be knocking these out to DFL's and Buy to let supremo's.

Superseagull

Jul 8, 2003
You have to bid for the properties. Dread to think what they will sell for in the end as people push the offers to the maximum.

The modern looking house built on the corner of Goldstone Lane and Old Shoreham Road is also up for sale at just under £900K if you want views of Hove Park

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-29483490.html?premiumA=true.

Makes you wonder what the Goldstone would be worth now if it had permission for housing.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
You have to bid for the properties. Dread to think what they will sell for in the end as people push the offers to the maximum.

The modern looking house built on the corner of Goldstone Lane and Old Shoreham Road is also up for sale at just under £900K if you want views of Hove Park

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-29483490.html?premiumA=true.

Makes you wonder what the Goldstone would be worth now if it had permission for housing.
That's a sickening thought. Nearly as sickening as how busy the retail park was at the weekend.

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
Why is property so expensive in Brighton, Hove, Lewes (other than the fact it's nice). I was looking at selling my three bed property in Caterham, Surrey to buy a small two bed period property in Lewes and it's an extra £100k. At my age I wasn't going to add £100k to a mortgage.
I know it's commuter belt but so is Surrey and cheaper on fares. The Estate Agent said that so many properties are sold on Buy To Let, how do locals afford to buy in the area.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Why is property so expensive in Brighton, Hove, Lewes (other than the fact it's nice). I was looking at selling my three bed property in Caterham, Surrey to buy a small two bed period property in Lewes and it's an extra £100k. At my age I wasn't going to add £100k to a mortgage.
I know it's commuter belt but so is Surrey and cheaper on fares. The Estate Agent said that so many properties are sold on Buy To Let, how do locals afford to buy in the area.
They don't! As to why it's so expensive, largely because there's nowhere to build new homes due to the South Downs, I would think.

This is why I hope Newhaven will get a lot of investment in the coming years.

Superseagull

Jul 8, 2003

Locals can't afford it, hence why they are pushing it to London types who want out of London, want a second home for the weekend, or will buy as an investment. One quick look at the marketing brochure tells you all you need to know about the target audience. Dread to think what the final income will be if you add up all of the 'suggested' buying prices for the development.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
They don't! As to why it's so expensive, largely because there's nowhere to build new homes due to the South Downs, I would think.

This is why I hope Newhaven will get a lot of investment in the coming years.

Partly this. Partly because the market is heavily skewed by outsider commuter/London money.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

Do you think photo 12 shows a piss take by the owners given where the house is ? Nice enough house but why would you pay nearly a million including stamp duty to live on a main road and have bugger all garden ?

I'd have paid that quite happily if it overlooked the Goldstone site's previous incarnation.

I PAID 60K FOR A THREE BED HOUSE OVERLOOKING THE GOLDSTONE 1987 LOVED SITTING IN THE GARDEN WATCHING RESERVE FIXTURES:thumbsup:

Attachments

• scan0006.jpg
    scan0006.jpg
    610.5 KB · Views: 1,071
  • scan0003.jpg
    scan0003.jpg
    485.1 KB · Views: 1,086
  • scan0002.jpg
    scan0002.jpg
    493.8 KB · Views: 1,068

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
But he was comparing with Caterham, which has the same issues surely?
While Caterham is nice, it hasn't got the sea or the South Downs. I just find it hard to understand why the price differences are so vast when the rail links are better and cheaper from Surrey.

Before anyone says, I know why because Croydon is just up the road. That said I was told last week that property prices in and around Croydon have gone up by 20% in the last year or so.

As I said previous, I feel for the locals who have to move away to get on the property ladder.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
I know the property market is crazy down here but if people pay 300k for a one bed flat in that location, are they actually going to make any money? The rent will be huge and while the owners may live elsewhere, chances are the tenants will be more local. Who can afford the sort of rent that they will need to make a good profit? And more to the point why would anyone pay that rent when there are much better locations that will fall comfortably within the same price bracket? Not that the developers will care when all these landlord get their fingers burnt.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Seems obvious to me that the bus station in Hove should be relocated, making way for retail on the ground floor and a modern high rise block. If you have a supermarket on the ground floor, a mainline station next door and easy access to Brighton& Hove on the weekends, many people could survive without cars. If you can't spread out, the only way is up !

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004

That is scandalous - used to be a dead bit of ground where you'd get pelted with coins by the kept behind away supporters in the NE terrace. Look dad lots of 2 p pieces - I'm gonna double my pocket money...

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Seems obvious to me that the bus station in Hove should be relocated, making way for retail on the ground floor and a modern high rise block. If you have a supermarket on the ground floor, a mainline station next door and easy access to Brighton& Hove on the weekends, many people could survive without cars. If you can't spread out, the only way is up !

There are early plans in the pipeline to move the bus depot to Hollingbury and then re-build a huge part of that area with housing, retail and offices. Rumours are it will include a cinema as well.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here