Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Vehicle insurance is a con

0 Not allowed!
    57 years old. Been biking for 40 years, 100% no claims, no convictions and no changes to my policy or bike yet the b*stards wanted to charge me 40% more for my premium than I paid last year. I phone up, complain, and then they discount it back to what I paid last year. What a f*cking con.

• North Stand Chat

advertising

0 Not allowed!
      It's nearly always cheaper to change providers. You're lucky they agreed to reduce it down again!
      Quote Originally Posted by Billy the Fish View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Are people taking stupidity pills on here today or something

1 Not allowed!
      Insurance companies are a r s e holes.

Not only do they now charge for amendments / changes / cancellations / direct debits / phone calls / paper documents but they continue to fleece people of money and then doing everything they can to get out of paying claims. Sub-human scum.

2 Not allowed!
      Well it is a bit cheeky, but they all do it, and if you've eventually got it back down again to what you consider to be an acceptable price, then it's not quite a con, just slightly sharp practice, right?

I simply refuse to go with the same insurer if they do that. I just can't be arsed. We all know they'll make you an offer and then rapidly drop it down once you tell them you can get it cheaper elsewhere. My take is that if they're not going to quote their best price in the first place, I won't even bother going back to them. I'll just take out a policy with somebody else and tell the original company that's the reason for cancelling. I don't like playing their game.

There was a story a while back about some pensioner who'd been buying his home/contents insurer through the same company for decades. Each year they put the premium up, and each year, being elderly and frail and unquestioning, he just renewed it. Until one year when a family member discovered he was paying something quite outrageous (in the region of several thousands) for his cover, when he could have been paying under a hundred quid if he'd gone elsewhere. These are the people who suffer from such practices, which is when it's quite sad. The rest of us are quite capable of telling them where to poke it.
      The lady has foolishly attempted to join the conversation with a wild and dangerous opinion of her own. What half-baked drivel! See how the men look at her with utter contempt.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Notters View Post
      It's nearly always cheaper to change providers. You're lucky they agreed to reduce it down again!
      He's not though. They almost always will, it's just that they expect you to make the effort to get them to that point.

I had a policy with Hastings Direct one year. Got the renewal notice though, sure enough it had gone up, despite no claims or issues. I rang them, asked if that was the best they could do, they said "yep, that's yer lot". I shopped around, found another company and got a quote, then rang Hastings back to ask if they could match it. They offered to knock twenty quid or so off, still leaving the other quote about sixty quid cheaper, so I told them thanks but no thanks, and then went and took out the other policy.

I rang Hastings back to confirm cancellation of the old policy, at which point- SURPRISE!- they announced that, miraculously, they could beat the other company's quote. Equally as mysteriously, it turned out the other company was a subsidiary of Hastings Direct. I told them I'd already taken out the new policy, to which they advised me to cancel it and go with Hastings. I asked if they could do it themselves, given that this other company was effectively part of theirs, but they said they couldn't do that. Then they offered to drop the price even more. Cocks.

The hassle involved in doing this, even with a 14 day cancellation period, did my head in, so I ended up telling Hastings to shove it up their arses and just stuck with the new one. That's the massive irritant with it all: that they could quite easily give you a reasonable quote early on, but they don't, even when you're the one doing the running around. Didn't stop them bombarding me with junk mail for years afterwards either, urging me to consider them for every other type of insurance on the planet.
      The lady has foolishly attempted to join the conversation with a wild and dangerous opinion of her own. What half-baked drivel! See how the men look at her with utter contempt.

0 Not allowed!
      Why if you felt that the renewal terms were a con did you not just throw the renewal invite into the bin, and move to another insurer.

There are many other service providers that follow the same theme of looking for new customers at the expense of loyal customers, not just insurers. Building societies and banks who provide higher interest rates to new customers but leave existing ones on much lower rates, TV and Internet providers who will reduce prices if you ring to say you are leaving, the list goes on.
      Members

2 Not allowed!
      The market for motor and home insurance is a mess. Too much focus on acquiring new customers and too little on rewarding loyalty - and the aggregators have amplified this behaviour even more by encouraging the view that cheapest is best. I always shop around at renewal - if for no other reason than underwriting appetite and therefore pricing can change frequently. I've worked in the industry for 26 years and don't consider myself to be "sub human scum" but if that is your view of people you probably get treated the way you deserve.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by edna krabappel View Post
      He's not though. They almost always will, it's just that they expect you to make the effort to get them to that point.

I had a policy with Hastings Direct one year. Got the renewal notice though, sure enough it had gone up, despite no claims or issues. I rang them, asked if that was the best they could do, they said "yep, that's yer lot". I shopped around, found another company and got a quote, then rang Hastings back to ask if they could match it. They offered to knock twenty quid or so off, still leaving the other quote about sixty quid cheaper, so I told them thanks but no thanks, and then went and took out the other policy.

I rang Hastings back to confirm cancellation of the old policy, at which point- SURPRISE!- they announced that, miraculously, they could beat the other company's quote. Equally as mysteriously, it turned out the other company was a subsidiary of Hastings Direct. I told them I'd already taken out the new policy, to which they advised me to cancel it and go with Hastings. I asked if they could do it themselves, given that this other company was effectively part of theirs, but they said they couldn't do that. Then they offered to drop the price even more. Cocks.

The hassle involved in doing this, even with a 14 day cancellation period, did my head in, so I ended up telling Hastings to shove it up their arses and just stuck with the new one. That's the massive irritant with it all: that they could quite easily give you a reasonable quote early on, but they don't, even when you're the one doing the running around. Didn't stop them bombarding me with junk mail for years afterwards either, urging me to consider them for every other type of insurance on the planet.
      Don't think I've ever managed to get them to go right down in price. I tend to end up alternating between Admiral and Hastings Direct every other year!
      Quote Originally Posted by Billy the Fish View Post
      Are people taking stupidity pills on here today or something

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by studio150 View Post
      Why if you felt that the renewal terms were a con did you not just throw the renewal invite into the bin, and move to another insurer.

There are many other service providers that follow the same theme of looking for new customers at the expense of loyal customers, not just insurers. Building societies and banks who provide higher interest rates to new customers but leave existing ones on much lower rates, TV and Internet providers who will reduce prices if you ring to say you are leaving, the list goes on.
      I wanted to see if they had any justification for the 40% hike. Naturally, they didn't. What get's me here is why isn't the regulator stepping in to outlaw this sharp practice? As Edna points out, there must be thousands of 'vulnerable' people out there being ripped off. The energy companies would not be allowed to just apply a massive hike without explaining and/or justifying the extra cost. Even those monolithic capitalist shysters Sky write to you and explain their increases. To me, this is like walking into your newsagent and, in a slightly distracted mood, asking for a copy of the Mirror and the newsagent, relying on your distraction, asking you to pay £2. When you then say £2! He says oh sorry, you can have it for £1.20. As I said, it's a con.
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      With the comparison sites on the internet it has never been easier to shop around, gone are the days of phoning 10 different companies or paying a broker fee ( I know you pay for the comparison sites, but it is much less)

The world has moved on, the Insurance companies haven't.

They need to realise if they put a premium up by £10/£20 a year most people will suck it up and avoid the hassle of moving, quoting £200/£300 more is pointless as it will be pretty easy to find a cheaper provider and they will have to drop it if they want to keep the business.